Newest Milo Discussion

Tom Black

I received the new Dec. 2002 of Milo on Monday and it is one of the best I’ve seen in awhile. There’s an article on our gripboard great Chris James (all I can say is Wow) and a picture of Richard Sorin with Joe Rollino at the AOBS Dinner. There’s a letter mentioning a “whole legion of grip men” (who could that be?) Then there’s an article on the Apollon wheels and two more Holle brothers closing the #3 (congrats guys).

The article that really caught my attention was on plate curls by Merle Meeter. Mr. Meeter explains the benefits of plate curls well and the article is accompanied by two pictures of Meeter curling a 35-pound plate with three 5-pound plates bolted into the center for a total of 50-pounds. The caption claims that he is equaling Clevio Massimo’s “world record” of 50-pounds for 10 reps. He is performing the rep seated as if to do a concentration curl with a dumbbell.

Having read many of Joe Roark’s many fine posts and articles I immediately had some questions regarding the feat and the pictures. First, let me say that curling with the setup that Mr. Meeter has even for one rep is mighty impressive, but is it really the same feat as Massimo? In MOHS Mr. Brookfield does not mention the dimensions of Massimo’s 50-pound plate. As most of us know, it is the width of the plate that makes this feat difficult. I have some 50-pound standard plates about as wide as standard Olympic 45’s, but have seen some thicker and not as wide. Massimo’s feat is sort of an unknown regarding this, but one thing I don’t doubt is that it is as described, with a 50-pound plate, not a 35 with weight attached in the center. The 35-pound plate with 15-pounds added is definitely easier than a 45-pound plate with 5-pounds added, which would be a more reasonable approximation of Massimo’s feat.

The other thing that bothers me about the article is that Mr. Meeter is shown and described as catching the plate at the end of the rep with his other hand. At the top of the rep the angle his arm makes with the ground is very odd, in my mind his hand it too low to actually support the weight (hence the “catch” with the other hand). I like the idea of a plate “concentration curl” but Mr. Meeter is eliminating some of the strain at the top with his hand being low, thus being able to lift more weight and more reps. I’d like to know other peoples thoughts on this, especially those who have seen the pictures and have tried plate curls.

Tom,

I noticed the odd look to the photo witht he top of the curl too. I don't know how one would do a concentration curl with a 35lb plate and not have the floor get in the way anyways. As far as the wieghts being equal to the 50lb record I'm with you in disagreeing with that statement. Now if the extra weight was attached to the bottom (point farthest from the hand) it would increase the similarity between a true 50lb plate curl and this curl.

I just got my Milo yesterday and it was pretty sweet for the grip fanatic!!! Still haven't got my order in from Ironmind though :angry:

Jon@han

The beauty of the plate curl is how far the weights center-mass is away from your hand. To have a 35lb plate and the 5lb-ers, it puts the center mass a good 2-3 inches closer to your hand, reducing torque by 15% or so. The image in that photo is absolutly NOT the same thing as curling a 50lb plate. The weight is the same, but the inch-pounds are much lower, and who knows the thickness of the original plate.

This is like extending your #4 gripper handles, and saying that you are duplicating a world best feat, or 1-head-dead-lifting 240lbs on a 1.5" handle, saying you are one-upping the Millenium bell... Grrrr.... :angry:

On the other hand, that's just plain impressive. I can't imagine that type of wrist strength. It never ceases to amaze me what I read on this page. :ohmy:D

I'm allways doing platecurl with completly straight wrist (no dorsalflexion at all) on a Preacher Bench. My best is 10 reps with 15 kg (33 lbs) old Iron Eleikoplate. My goal is to handle a 20 kg iron Eleikoplate in perfekt style on preacherbench. I'm doing them on both standing and seated Preacher Bench.

Last time I did platecurl (two days ago) I did 8 complete reps (on 15 kg eleikoplate) and use my left hand on two last resps on the eccentric part of the exercise just for protect the preacher bench and floor. Next time I hope that I can do 10 "complete" reps.

Joe,

From all the plate curls that I have done in the past, I would say that you would have to load a 15k disc up with another 10k in the middle to equal a 20k disc plate curl. Even on my biggest plate curls I've never had to catch it. You should have it under control, and if not pay the price!

David

Yeah that article made me wonder also. I was sure that Massimo did his curls with a 50lb plate, not a 35 w/added weight. I think a 35 with 20lbs extra is about the same as a 45 olympic plate. Why not add 47.5lbs to a 2.5lb plate & then it would be even easier? In every pic I've seen of plate curls @ an IG contest the lifter is standing up & the free hand is nowhere near the plate.

Nathan,

Why not add 47.5 lbs to a 2.5 lb plate?

Wish I'd have thought of that. You deserve a fresh supply of

bubble gum. :D

Has anybody tried making a swingbell and plate curling by

pinching the center 5 lb plate?

I agree with David, although I don't have personal experience with those kind of numbers! Of course, that would only bring you up to a 20k plate curl which isn't even 50-pounds yet (the 20k, that is). I'm thinking Meeter should be adding 25-pounds to be equivalent to the 50-pounds!

I saw the pictures as I just got my MILO. Oh my. :ohmy

Heck, with those pictures I doubt he did ONE proper plate curl rep let alone 10! The pictures just cast more doubt. What the hell is the second picture and this "catching" bull?

Here's a real plate curl!

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album01/aba

Wasn't he banned? ha ha. There should also be the same available over in the Iron Grip comp photos from 2001.

Wannagrip,

Please pay closer attention. Have you not noticed the trend,

even here on the board?

If a lift cannot be performed in the manner described by the

rules or by tradition, you simply re-write the rules or go against

tradition. The only thing you are forbidden is to change the name

of the lift.

This way, the tradition of the name continues even though the lift

has been altered- been altered ALWAYS to make the lift easier.

Asterisks indicating that the lift has been performed unlike the

manner of performance in days gone by, are also strongly opposed.

Further, if you dare point out, that 'Hey, that is not the way the lift

is performed' then you become suspect, because hey, wasn't it an incredible feat no matter what you call it? If we are to fully enter into the ruleless realm, then let's stop identifying lifts by specific name.

Oh-I guess we have already started that tactic.

I could not have said it better myself (you are a much better writer than I am) I do have the balls to tell it like it is though. There is only the truth.

Here's a real plate curl!

But wait Bill, that lift wasn't performed in a competition....so it means nothing right? Sorry I couldn't resist.

Credit where credit is due...that's a hell of a lift (Nick's plate curl). :D

My opinion is simply that you cannot bastardize a legitimate lift and call it the proper name. A "plate curl" is and should be an official "plate curl" as we know it to be. Meeter should call his bastardization of the "plate curl" something else! I don't even know what the he11 he thinks he is doing! Sorry for my tension regarding this sensitive issue.

Well, I was shocked frankly. I didn't think it was as bad until I actually saw the pictures.

:ohmy

Guest woody36

Perhaps we should lock him in a room with Roark for seven

days,he can drill into him proper technique and the origins

of the lift.

That'll teach him! :inno

Maybe meeter did his plate curls after supper and the plates got frozen to ..........his hand.... :whistel

WOW-just saw the picture of Nick.

Quick question while i have the attention of so many plate curlers.

When do you do them?perhaps at the end of a bicep work out?or before?

how frequently?once a week?more?

even reps with just a 27 pound plate cause some soreness around my elbow?

how many sets?

wrong thread i'm sorry but it just lit a fire...

I will say I've learned alot in the last few months about grip on this board but what NOW i've got to reread all the old milos and try to unravel the truth?I just took it for granted that....well you know :cry This thread not only makes me question History in general but current 'events'...damn...

...an 1800lb table.....sheesh :inno

Tom,

You can train on the plate curls whenever you want to, but I found it best to do them whilst fresh, then maybe do normal curls after. When I got up to my best, I did a heavy session one day, and reps on another. Your wrists and fingers will get used to it, and remember to train both arms.

David