Would You Buy A Inch Dumbbell?

AWWurPUScHURT

The reason I ask is because I might be able to get some casted… There’s only one big problem, I don’t have anything to go off of…So does anyone have a Inch dumbbell they’d be willing to lend out? I’m located in Maryland, so I’m trying to find one in the area...

Also what would you guys be willing to pay for one? And would anyone be interested?

Let me know

Thanks,

Chris

I would be interested depending on the price.

So give me a ball park of what you'd pay

What do they typically go for?

Also who was the last person to cast them and sell them? What was there price?

The last two companies that sold them were Sorinex(owned by Richard Sorin and they still have the mould) and Ironmind. Both companies got them from the same foundry that shut down a few years ago. I believe Sorinex was selling them for $375-400 at one time. I'd be willing to spend $300-350 once my job situation clears up. Bear in mind that putting the Inch into regular production is risky business. It wasn't a hot seller when Sorinex and Ironmind sold them, it wont sell any better now. I made some Inch replicas awhile back, they weren't globed replicas but they are a bit harder than the Inch. I made 7 and I sold the last one almost a year after I made them. I also made 3 solid loadables and those sold pretty quick.

The last two companies that sold them were Sorinex(owned by Richard Sorin and they still have the mould) and Ironmind. Both companies got them from the same foundry that shut down a few years ago. I believe Sorinex was selling them for $375-400 at one time. I'd be willing to spend $300-350 once my job situation clears up. Bear in mind that putting the Inch into regular production is risky business. It wasn't a hot seller when Sorinex and Ironmind sold them, it wont sell any better now. I made some Inch replicas awhile back, they weren't globed replicas but they are a bit harder than the Inch. I made 7 and I sold the last one almost a year after I made them. I also made 3 solid loadables and those sold pretty quick.

The foundry, I believe, is near Duluth, MN and a few guys approached them to make it again recently on an individual basis and the number was unsaned. Like 5 hundo something, as I recall.

I just looked through the archives and found that Sorinex was selling them for $286 plus shipping. If this isn't right maybe Richard will reply and let us know.

I just looked through the archives and found that Sorinex was selling them for $286 plus shipping. If this isn't right maybe Richard will reply and let us know.

Steel prices went up and it was eventually $375+ per bell.

Because you pay for the pattern/mold to be made (think it's free?), then the iron workers skill and time (still not free) and finally the person making them would like a few bucks as well if that's not too much to ask. And that's without getting into the iron and material costs.

Plus, as has been mentioned, if they sold like eggs the per bell costs wouldn't be so high but when it takes 12 months to sell 7... do the math.

Edited by mobsterone

As tight as money is right now for most people I don't

think you would sell many at all.

Why not just use a loadable DM with the same size handle

dimensions? It would be cheaper for sure.

Steel prices are way down right now (they are in Texas anyway). So if you're going to make

them, at least make them while prices are down.

Same thing with axles for DL. You can easily make a 6' axle, 2" in diameter

for under $100.00 easily. Matter of fact, I'm making one this week just like

I did my own 2" V-Bar.

Mighty Joe

Are you kidding me? How can a blob of metal cost 400 bucks.. lmao

Check steel prices and you would know why.

I wouldn't buy one. If you have a bunch of buyers and decide to do this thing (it would be great to have more inchs out there btw) you'll probably want to get a deposit from everyone before you commit yourself. When you're talking $400+ a lot of things can come up.

Steel prices are way down right now (they are in Texas anyway). So if you're going to make

I did my own 2" V-Bar.

Mighty Joe

MJ: please tread carefully re the 2" V-Bar matter. PM if you wanna know why.

Because you pay for the pattern/mold to be made (think it's free?), then the iron workers skill and time (still not free) and finally the person making them would like a few bucks as well if that's not too much to ask. And that's without getting into the iron and material costs.

Plus, as has been mentioned, if they sold like eggs the per bell costs wouldn't be so high but when it takes 12 months to sell 7... do the math.

I wasn't aware they sold so few of them. 7 in 12 months is bloody slow. But honestly the mold is a one time cost which is just a fat handle with 2 blobs on each side and really in no way complex or difficult.

I really didn't think steel was that expensive, but I'll take your word for it.

I wasn't aware they sold so few of them. 7 in 12 months is bloody slow. But honestly the mold is a one time cost which is just a fat handle with 2 blobs on each side and really in no way complex or difficult.

I really didn't think steel was that expensive, but I'll take your word for it.

First off, for perfect globes and a milled handle to an exact specification as is the case for the Inch the mold is VERY expensive. I know nothing about foundry work and I could tell you that.

Secondly, steel prices are absurd right now as are most commodities.

I did my own 2" V-Bar.

Mighty Joe

MJ: please tread carefully re the 2" V-Bar matter. PM if you wanna know why.

I tried. Your PM's are blocked.

Mighty Joe

Assuming these wouldn't be available until some time in the future, I'd definitely be interested in one.

I was sure Kim Wood had told me it was 2 3/8" but I just checked with the guys at Iron History to be sure - the 172# Original Inch DB has a 2.375" (2 3/8") handle. I would not be interested in a "Replica" that wasn't historically correct myself.

I was sure Kim Wood had told me it was 2 3/8" but I just checked with the guys at Iron History to be sure - the 172# Original Inch DB has a 2.375" (2 3/8") handle. I would not be interested in a "Replica" that wasn't historically correct myself.

I'd buy one if it was historically correct and could count for the cert

I made some Inch replicas awhile back, they weren't globed replicas but they are a bit harder than the Inch. I made 7 and I sold the last one almost a year after I made them.

Considering I bought 2 of them before they even were made, it puts how slowly the other 5 sold into perspective.