Expanding Lungs?

Pancake Sprawl

i was wondering if holding your breath could be an exercise you use to expand your lung capacity or if what your born with is what your born with and the only way to change it would be to make it smaller by smoking and what not?

Or you could like, you know, do aerobics?

but does this really expand the lungs? i thought it just drops your weight.

I believe theres a herbal treatment for that. Grown there in Maui from what I remember.

- Aaron

:D :D :D

i was wondering if holding your breath could be an exercise you use to expand your lung capacity or if what your born with is what your born with and the only way to change it would be to make it smaller by smoking and what not?

I'm not an expert but I believe lung capacity is more or less fixed - you're not going to be able to create more volume within your rib cage. However if you want to improve your VO2 max (which is I'm guessing is what you meant) it is suggested that you need to raise your heart rate to between 65% - 85% of its maximum for 20 minutes 3 to 5 times a week (http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm). Although I've read the amount it affects individuals is usually between 5% - 20%. For people who have smoked in the past, lungs gradually clean up a bit and oxygen uptake will improve but it will be fairly slow.

I believe theres a herbal treatment for that. Grown there in Maui from what I remember.

- Aaron

All kidding aside, the only thing I have ever seen on it was in a Universal bodybuilding program I sent away for thru the mail over 20yrs ago. they recommended breathing squats followed by heavyish pullovers where you took a full breath before descending with the weight. was supposed to stretch out your ribcage and lungs.

- Aaron

It's my understanding that you can't increase the size of your lungs. What you can do is increase the efficieny of what you have by breath holding, proper breathing and thinking impure thoughts (causes panting).

If you want to see someone who breathes properly, look at Chuck Liddell (sp?). The Asians have it right---it's all from the belly. The Western ideal of a high rib cage negates attempts to take in as much oxygen, and remain calm at the same time, as possible. Panic breathing is always fast and shallow and from the top half of the lungs.

I heard some tests on military divers had some interesting results. Those that smoked during their time served experienced a increase in maximum lung volume as their bodies had to compensate for the unhealthy lungs (however the gain is very minimal at best).

cited-http://www.journalarchive.jst.go.jp/english/jnlabstract_en.php?cdjournal=joh1996&cdvol=39&noissue=2&startpage=95

I'm sure it would work the same at high altitude as one would need more air because of the thinner atmosphere. Or even just normal swimming as there is greater pressure on the lungs and so the body would have to strengthen the accessory muscles needed for breathing, allowing for greater contraction and volume.

There used to be some infor in the Hoffman York Barbell stuff about expanding the ribcage, if you look at early & late Hoffman pics theye must have been something to it, his chest ribcage) was clearly larger in later pics.

Joe Roark would probably be an excellent resource for this one.

Edited by John Beatty

You can increase your lung capacity through training, lots of free divers have been working on that for years. Google free diving training and see what you get.

I know professional cyclists for one often have humped backs as this is often said to be due to having huge lungs - though whether this is true I couldn't confirm, it may simply be their posture on the bike gives that impression or it may of course be the case that people with naturally big lungs become top cyclists.

I read the question "increasing lung capacity" as in it's ability to use larger volumes of oxygen, so of course vigorous aerobic exercise does that quite nicely.

I did a tremendous amount of road cycling in my teens. Whenever I have had chest xrays, the people examining the images have remarked on the sheer size of my lungs. I do have a very large ribcage which I attribute to learning muscle control, again in my teens. There are several exercises using muscle control that are designed to expand the ribcage and increase it's flexibility as much as possible. All the muscle controls are to be found at the Maxalding site.