Lower Back Pain

ginroth

If it's RIGHT above your ass it might have something to do with hip flexors rather than your lower back...

Have you been doing any stretching or mobility work to try to loosen up the area?

Depending on how bad the pain is... try doing some one-legged work with just bodyweight...

Also make sure to add in some hip mobility drills... Eric Cressey's got a great DVD for thoracic spine and hip mobility out.

I've had a back problem in the same location for several months now - I went to see a chiropractor and he said he thought it was my SI joint (whatever that is) and he performed ART (active release technique) in the trouble area along with a "cold lazer" and some traction adjusting and my back has been doing better - the only time it hurts now, is if I've been sitting down for a long time in my office chair - then I'll start to get some pain, but other than that, I'm good. You may look into those things if its bothering you enough - GL

I've had a back problem in the same location for several months now - I went to see a chiropractor and he said he thought it was my SI joint (whatever that is) and he performed ART (active release technique) in the trouble area along with a "cold lazer" and some traction adjusting and my back has been doing better - the only time it hurts now, is if I've been sitting down for a long time in my office chair - then I'll start to get some pain, but other than that, I'm good. You may look into those things if its bothering you enough - GL

I did some research about the si (sacroilliac) joint. That's EXACTLY where it hurts. I will definitely look into ART. I've tried to do some foam rolling at home, which is essentially the same concept.

Thanks man.

Hey Ginroth,

I know exactly the pain you're talking about. I used to get that all the time and then I started doing 4 main stretches during my squat warm-ups that seem to have fixed the problem.

Here's how my squat warm-ups go:

- I start off with 20 bodyweight squats (make you sure you go ass to grass on these)

- I then do standing one leg quad stretches (you kick yourself in the butt with one foot and then hold the foot there with your hand)

- Next I do a hamstring stretch by sitting on the floor and reaching my left hand out to my left foot, I then switch to right hand, right foot. I usually put the foot of the non stretching leg beside the knee of the stretching leg.

- I follow this with a groin stretch by sitting straight, putting my feet together with my knees out and pull my feet in towards my crotch. I then push my knees down gently to feel a stretch in the groin

- I then do a hip / back stretch. I lay back on the ground and pull one knee up into my chest holding it there with both hands. If you do this right, you'll feel parts of your butt and back being stretched. If you're talking about the same pain that I am, this will feel awesome.

I then do 10 reps of 135 in the squat and do the stretching routine again. The stretches should now be easier because your body will be a lot warmer.

I then do 5 sets of 225. If I'm still a little tight after this warm-up set I'll do the stretching routine again but no more than that.

As a tip, it's best to not "bounce" into your stretches but rather hold them statically for 10 seconds or so. And also, I'm not a professional so take everything I say with a grain of salt. This is only what works specifically for me.

If it really really hurts, maybe you should see your physio-therapist, chiropracter or doctor. Hope you sort it out!

I won't directly do your routine, but I will certainly apply the concepts behind it. Static stretches decrease strength, but I will do dynamic stretches for the same muscle groups. Thanks.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between a static stretch and a dynamic stretch?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between a static stretch and a dynamic stretch?

A static stretch is where you hold thep position for an extended period of time. It has a neurological calming affect, making you weaker in the area you just stretched.

A dynamic stretch is a bit harder to explain, so here's a video of a dynamic stretch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmfU8X7uDuo

They are generally better before workouts, because they warm up the muscles, as apposed to requiring warm muscles. They also make me feel really lose, when I remember to do them. :D

As far as a possible imbalance that can cause that sort of tightness I think perhaps doing exercises like bulgarian split squats, high step ups and pistols might help as well. And possibly romanian deadlifts if you back is up to it.

As far as a possible imbalance that can cause that sort of tightness I think perhaps doing exercises like bulgarian split squats, high step ups and pistols might help as well. And possibly romanian deadlifts if you back is up to it.

Are you telling me to bring up my glutes?

RDLs are definitely out, even with very light weight. I'll try step ups and pistols. I need to do some leg work in the mean time. I've heard good things about walking lunges so I'll hit those up as well.

I went to a doctor today, she said that it's just muscle tightness (Phew). She said I should take ibuprofen for a few days, then go to a physiotherapist for a couple of sessions.

Yoga!!!!!!!! It works. Ask Chris and Doc how it has helped them. Guys always think yoga that's girl stuff or it's stupid. Tell you what if you have muscle tightness It almost always fixes it for me. Ashtanga Yoga is waht i have done and it works great for me.

Edited by nickr104

Astanga Yoga works!

• 3 weeks later...
Astanga Yoga works!

Bikram Yoga is good also. It's worked wonders for me. I like the heat!

If it's RIGHT above your ass it might have something to do with hip flexors rather than your lower back...

Have you been doing any stretching or mobility work to try to loosen up the area?

Depending on how bad the pain is... try doing some one-legged work with just bodyweight...

Also make sure to add in some hip mobility drills... Eric Cressey's got a great DVD for thoracic spine and hip mobility out.

Ditto. It's called Magnificent Mobility. The drills are helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this thread, I have exactly the same kind of pain as we speak, and been having it for the passed two months. It doesn't hurt too bad unless I squat heavy, then the pain gets worse. I'm looking at Cressey's materials too, I miss heavy squatting and deadlifting!