Motown Gripdown

jad

Got word that Brett Kerby is interested in attending, but will not be competing. That'll be nice to finally meet him and maybe we'll get a few more of the KC Strongman guys out there. Maybe even the Kirksville guys.

Sweet! Too bad he won't be competing, be great to catch up with him though. Any word on Jason Payne, John Sandy or Scott?

Jason has said a tentative yes. Depends on his phenomenally busy work schedule though. Strippin' ain't easy.

John Sandy is a go as far as I know. He's training with my Axle, so he'd better be interested, haha. I could be using it for some USAWA Nationals shit.

Scott...who knows. Doubtful with his armwrestling allegiance.

A security guard buddy of mine broke his wrist or he'd be up for it. He is not interested now due to rehabbing and he knows he'll lose a lot of ground.

I hope Jason can make it and the others too for that matter. I would just love to see Jason at City Limits. CL is Moberly's version of The Double Deuce, complete with a colorful cast of bouncers.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• jad

• cberg

• Adam Moyers

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Jason can make it and the others too for that matter. I would just love to see Jason at City Limits. CL is Moberly's version of The Double Deuce, complete with a colorful cast of bouncers.

I hope they can all make it too. I'd be game for the CL if it meant I could recreate that scene in Road House where PS rips the guy's throat out.

Josh, looks like I've got another great #3 for our left hands. It's Bob's, and I don't know for sure what it calibrates at. If it's the same one I had a while back, it's about 152lbs. The spread is 3", so it's quite a bit harder to close than the 152lb GM I had on loan from FatBoy at the BBB. Squeaked out a lefty close tonight and I'll wait for Bob's reply about the calibration.

Josh, looks like I've got another great #3 for our left hands. It's Bob's, and I don't know for sure what it calibrates at. If it's the same one I had a while back, it's about 152lbs. The spread is 3", so it's quite a bit harder to close than the 152lb GM I had on loan from FatBoy at the BBB. Squeaked out a lefty close tonight and I'll wait for Bob's reply about the calibration.

Scratch that. I'll find another one though.

stop talking about #3s you guys are making me wish I actually trained grippers :laugh

Actually I was just wondering if you guys had any tips on how to train for vbar without actually owning one. I tried to do it the other day with a normal weightlifting bar but the collars couldnt hold the weights and they all came crashing to the ground :laugh

I hope John and Jason can make it out! The more the merrier

stop talking about #3s you guys are making me wish I actually trained grippers :laugh

Actually I was just wondering if you guys had any tips on how to train for vbar without actually owning one. I tried to do it the other day with a normal weightlifting bar but the collars couldnt hold the weights and they all came crashing to the ground :laugh

I hope John and Jason can make it out! The more the merrier

I'd recommend buying some 2" outside diameter pipe at the very least. Then making your own cheap 2" vbar setup. If that isn't an option, you can take a sledgehammer, and mark down 7" from the top of the handle. Then start wrapping (neatly and on the same "line") duct tape around and around the handle until it's 2" diameter. That's not ideal, but it'll get you some training time with a 2" handle. It's obviously limited by the fact that if you do the duct tape method you won't be able to unload or load plates (Olympic of course onto the shaft of the sledgehammer) once you've got your grip taped up. I know a guy who used this method of training (at my suggestion) and he had 3 sledge handles. One was loaded to 100lbs. Another to 150lbs. The last one to 200lbs. All duct taped to 2" diameter handle. He improved his 2" vbar numbers (tested on my homemade 2" vbar which is very close to the FBBC version in numbers) by 55lbs in 3 months training like that. He eventually moved the weights up to 175lbs, 225lbs, and 250lbs.

A stranger method of training the 2" vbar is to do the same setup to the sledge. Tape the handle until it's 2" diameter. Then cut a hole in a heavy duty thick (about 1" minimum) and strong board. Make sure there's enough room for the sledge handle to fit cleanly through the hole. The board should be big enough square that you can stand on it with your feet on either side of the sledge handle. It wouldn't hurt if you drew a circle around the sledge handle (about 18") and stood on either side of that when doing your isometric pulls. That simulates 35lb plates and the position your legs will be in when pulling on that. Slide the board down over the sledge handle. Before you tape the handle of course. If your sledge handle is really long, you'll want to get some 4" thick pieces of wood, one for each foot to comfortably stand on when you're doing your iso pulls. Dig a very shallow hole in the yard and take the entire setup out there. The hammer head goes into the depression. The board will then act as a "stop" and you'll be able to do iso pulls on the taped-up handle while standing in about the same position as you will at the start of a 2" vbar pull. Change the angles if you want by just standing on thicker blocks.

Thanks for the great advice Ben! Couldnt find a sledge in my garage but ended up finding something else thatll get the job done just as good. Just gotta tape up that handle now. Thanks again man, cant wait to try it out :rock

• 4 weeks later...
I'll hook you up Ben.

Thanks again for this offer Bob! I'd love to take you up on it by the way. Not sure if I mentioned it in our earlier PMs.

Here is the confirmed list so far:

Caolan Berg

Jona Brown

Adam Moyers

Roger Rainbolt

Roy Mozingo

Ben Edwards

Brad Manion

Josh Dale

I'm going to put Jason Payne on there (tentatively) just in case he's able to do this contest. I hope so. Jason, you're welcome to ride up with me man! I'd also love to have Scott Harris in there but haven't heard anything back in e-mails. We always have trouble hooking up though.

John Beatty - FBBC - has offered to sponsor our steel for the contest! Thanks a lot John! Always appreciated man. I waited until 6 weeks out from the contest to request the specific steel because I had a feeling at least two of the guys (cberg & LilMO) were going to make big strides in their bending and I'd need to estimate upwards.

I'm trying to trim down the list of steel. Mainly for time sake and just because it won't be feasible to have a million different poundages like I originally thought. Here's what will probably make up the lineup:

-3/16”X6” Round (135lbs)

-3/16”X6” Square (210lbs)

-timber ties (240lbs)

-1/4”X6” Round (305lbs)

-1/4”X6” G5 (375lbs)

-1/4”X6” G8 (460lbs)

-1/4”X6” Square (485lbs)

-5/16"X6" Drill Rod (O-1) (615lbs)

-5/16”X6” Round (varies from 600-655) *Notes: Depends on whether we get the mid-400lbs batch or a low-500lbs batch

-5/16"X6" Grade 5 (TY-FNL) (665lbs)

-5/16”X6” Stainless (715lbs)

-5/16”X6” G5 (Linear S-745lbs)

I realize that there is kind of a large gap between the 1/4" Square and the Bastards but I don't have anything right now to fill that gap. 19/64" Drill Rod (O-1) is a possibility (it's about 525lbs @ 6") but unless someone else brings it I'm already going to be using the last of my steel to fill in the gaps and for warmup stock.

Here's another point I should bring up. I don't want to kill our sponsor (FBBC) by warming up with tons of steel that he's going to generously send us. So I'll bring a bunch of warmup stock. But if other guys would like to help out and bring some warmup stock it'd be a good thing. Not necessary and certainly not saying I won't share all of what's left of mine. Because that's why I'm bringing it - to share. Just want to make sure we don't mow through all the contest stock just in the warmups.

I'll bring timber ties, a bunch of 60Ds (maybe Brad can bend 100 as a warmup, haha!), some 5/16" CRS-SteelWorks or 5/16" Mystery Metal. The Mystery Metal is pretty stout - at least a standard Bastard level inch-for-inch so it won't be used by a lot of guys to warmup but it'll be there for those that need it.

Are these guys GripBoard members or does anyone know them personally? I don't know what to estimate for their bending attempts. It'll help me a lot if these guys are members to have them let me know their current strength level. Or if you guys know them - and I'd like to get their GB screen names too - just let me know about what level they're at. If they're raw beginners or if they're accomplished benders. Thanks guys.

Jona Brown

Roger Rainbolt

Roy Mozingo

the steel looks great Ben! a big thanks goes out to John for sponsoring. I have a bunch of 60ds that I can bring that are around easy G5 level

the steel looks great Ben! a big thanks goes out to John for sponsoring. I have a bunch of 60ds that I can bring that are around easy G5 level

Excellent, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

As per the contest announcement, we're having pre-set weights on the Axle. All the competitors - please give me your guesstimates on what you'll call as a 1st attempt. Don't be shy and it doesn't matter if it's 33lbs. We just need to know what the lowest weight will be and then we can figure out from there what the jumps in poundage will be. We also don't want to mess up anyone's chances of qualifying for the US Grip Championships by having huge jumps that aren't conducive to setting personal bests. Wouldn't do some of the guys any good if we set the minimum weight at the 290lbs qualifying minimum if they can't lift that. I'm thinking around 200lbs will be the lowest 1st attempt called for.

So what do you guys think about jumps from the lowest 1st attempt? 20lbs? 30lbs? It might 10lb jumps when we hit 290lbs for those that are right at their limit, but who still want to hit a PR on that event.

Ben,

I've hardly been doing any thickbar training (i.e. none since I switched gyms a couple of months ago), but I estimate that I'd top out at right around the minimum of 290 on the axle. I vote for 20# jumps and will probably open with 250 to 270 myself. I definitely need your clinic for DO bending. I might have plenty of 19/64 grade-01 drill rod in my apartment still, but I have to really dig for it and see how many pieces I have. If I have plenty, how many 6" pieces would we need, 20-30? The pieces I have are already cut to 7".

BTW, I won't be bending 100 of the 60-penny nails as a warmup. However, if you have a defibrillator on hand, I might break a GripRite 80d Bright Common spike again. I've done it twice, and I vividly remember both times I ended up lying on the ground doing the "Drinker's Prayer" for that's how bad I felt afterwards.

Brad

Ben,

I've hardly been doing any thickbar training (i.e. none since I switched gyms a couple of months ago), but I estimate that I'd top out at right around the minimum of 290 on the axle. I vote for 20# jumps and will probably open with 250 to 270 myself. I definitely need your clinic for DO bending. I might have plenty of 19/64 grade-01 drill rod in my apartment still, but I have to really dig for it and see how many pieces I have. If I have plenty, how many 6" pieces would we need, 20-30? The pieces I have are already cut to 7".

BTW, I won't be bending 100 of the 60-penny nails as a warmup. However, if you have a defibrillator on hand, I might break a GripRite 80d Bright Common spike again. I've done it twice, and I vividly remember both times I ended up lying on the ground doing the "Drinker's Prayer" for that's how bad I felt afterwards.

Brad

I'm in the same boat as you B-Rad! I've been doing some high rep RT after AW practice but that's about it. Roy is quite the mech-a-neck and can probably rig up some sort of hot box to jump start you if needed. :D I vote for 10# jumps but I'm fine with whatever.

I'm planning bringing the following weights

4 45's (Roy has 2)

2 35's (Roy has 2)

2 25s

2 22's

4 10s

2 5s

2 2.5s

All my grippers

My pinch set-up

My 2" vbar

My wraps

Any g5's or g8s I have left

My laptop with the Climber scoring system

releases to be signed

I believe Ben is bringing the steel and axle and probably a crapload of calibrated grippers.

Edited by jad

probly around 200-210 for my opener, yeah I suck :laugh. 20# jumps sounds good to me

Somewhere between 220-240 for my opener.

Thanks for the updates guys.

Brad, I bet you'll top out a bit above 300lbs and surprise yourself in the process. The 19/64" DR (O-1) would be a great addition to the contest lineup! Anyone who isn't quite at the Huge Bastard level should name their first-born after you if you bring some of it. I think 10 pieces would be plenty.

Thanks for the updates guys.

Brad, I bet you'll top out a bit above 300lbs and surprise yourself in the process. The 19/64" DR (O-1) would be a great addition to the contest lineup! Anyone who isn't quite at the Huge Bastard level should name their first-born after you if you bring some of it. I think 10 pieces would be plenty.

Don't know about anybody naming their first-born sons after me, Ben, but I finally found my stash of grade-01 drill rod. As everything has already been cut to 7", I say that for the sake of convenience, I bring everything to Moberly and only cut down to 6" the pieces guys will need for contest attempts.

Here is what I have for Grade-01 drill rod:

7" x 9/32" --> 11 pieces

7" x 19/64" --> 16 pieces

7" x 5/16" --> 13 pieces

I'm definitely reserving at least one of the 6" x 19/64" pieces of drill rod. I was able to DU such a piece to 40 degrees lately, but couldn't crush it. To borrow baseball terminology, I've been suffering from only having "warning-track" power with my unbraced bends lately. Hopefully at the contest, some of the big hitters about there can see what I'm doing wrong with my technique and get me back to swinging for the fences.

Also, does anybody out there want to try any horseshoes? I'm trying to cut down on my inventory and clean up my apartment a bit. If so, send me a PM with what you'd like to try. I have a bunch of SCF shoes of all sizes, plus a few KH and DC shoes as well.

Thanks to Blobert for the latest loaned #3 he sent me. Got it on the 27th and it calibrates at 154lbs. Got 5 good closes with my left hand and that'll be a good opener at the MTGD in less than 3 weeks. I think Josh will blast it too. Then we can both shoot for his Custom Grand Master.

Cool, we calibrated that pretty close- I got 152 I think.

Excellent. My numbers seem to be dead even with whoever calibrated Josh's grippers.

Excellent. My numbers seem to be dead even with whoever calibrated Josh's grippers.

Gamidon calibrated the majority of my grippers and Climber cal'd a few as well. This is pretty interesting considering the oiling phenomenon. To clarify: I know Ben is oiling grippers and for them to be so even with my numbers, that means that Gamidon was likely doing it before all the hub-bub about oiling came out...smart guy :cool

Edited by jad

Ben you have a pm.