Motown Gripdown

jad

Ben and I are putting on another qualifier Nationals. My friend Roy has offered to host it and he has a huge garage and about 15 acres so it should be plenty of room! The basic information is below. Please post questions below or pm either of us.

When: May 16th, 2009; contest starts at 11am

Where: 1318 County Rd 2345, Moberly, MO 65270

***I checked Mapquest and the directions are wrong so please use the following or pm me

From Kansas City or West:

HWY 70 E to exit 128 Moberly (Hwy 63 North)

63N about 35 miles, get off on MO-EE exit

Go left on MO-EE and stay on until you see Countryside Estates subdivision(gravel entry), on your left

The gravel basically ends at the contest/Roy's house (1318)

From St. Louis or East

HWY 70 W to exit 128 Moberly (Hwy 63 North)

63N about 35 miles, get off on MO-EE exit

Go right on MO-EE and stay on until you see Countryside Estates subdivision(gravel entry) on your left

The gravel basically ends at the contest/Roy's house (1318)

Entry Fee: $15.00 per person

Refreshments: food and beverage (nonalcoholic) will be provided after the comp. If you want to bring alcohol that's fine but we won't providing you any

Events: TENTATIVE pending wildcard events from Jedd

MMS grippers: we'll be using calibrated grippers and both hands will be contested, 4 attempts, MM rules where applicable (doesn't have to be filmed)

2HP; Scott George Ameri-Pinch set-up used, 4 attempts, rising bar, Europinch rules

Apollon's Axle: IM AA used, sumo or conventional, 4 attempts, rising bar, pre-selected poundages. Typical rules; no hitching, straps, etc.. We will use a down signal, tallest plates used will be 45's.

2" Vbar: FBBC 2" vbar used, 4 attempts, rising bar, will be judged with the wood block,

1 min per attempt; unlimited attempts in that min

You will be given one min per hand and if you switch hands during the attempt, you've forfeited that attempt with the other hand. For example if you're trying 250 RH and you can't get it but you still have 30 sec and you just decide to start trying it left, you get a no-lift on the RH for that attempt, if you pull it left it counts and you will get a full minute LH IF AND ONLY IF you announce you are going to switch, otherwise the clock is still running from your other hand. We're not going to get into running splits. If you want to do them on separate attempts that's fine too but remember it's rising bar so you need to pay attention.

Freestyle unbraced bending: you can bend in any of the major styles (DO, DU, MOD DU, reverse, etc..) but toughest steel wins. All stock is 6". If you want to go for a top 3 finish then DO is probably your best bet, if you want to try and qualify on wildcard events, then you have the option to reverse a G5 or better in competition

Scoring: percentage based, we'll be using the exact same system that Climber uses at Gripmas

Miscellaneous

-Purpose of the contest is to get people qualified for nationals. Hopefully Jedd will put out the new list of wildcard qualifiers soon and if it's much different we might change some events.

-With MGC the weekend before, I figure this will be a great beginner's contest as most of the big names will likely be too tired or financially strapped from MGC to show up. If you want to get your feet wet but feel too intimidated by the big names this would be a great opportunity. Of couse we'd LOVE to have the grip kings there too so PLEASE show up if you're able.

-There's a local MMA gym and I know the owner so I'm looking at getting him to bring some of his guys over. There's nobody famous but I'm anticipating lots of cross-sport participation

-We'll be working with sponsors on prizes but it won't be anything like BBB. As stated, we want to have a qualifier every year to give the Midwest guys one more chance to qualify for Nationals; qualifying is the prize!

-You will sign release of liability or you won't compete

-Unless something changes between now and then, no records can be set, at least on paper, since we do not have access to a certified scale.

-Please pm me or post any questions

Edited by jad

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• jad

• cberg

• Adam Moyers

Top Posters In This Topic

MO-town?! and there's not even a car-jacking event?

This sounds like a nice event nonetheless.

MoTown was from my era :D The much tougher youth of today call it Mobtown :D

small edit on the directions

You need to go RIGHT on MO-EE if you're heading N on HWY 63 (from Columbia). If your are heading south (From Iowa) on HWY 63 you would make a left on MO-EE. Sorry for the confusion.

Josh

Awesome, I can't wait to participate in my first comp. Looks like I need to learn how to bend. Since I don't have a 2HP setup will two 45's with a loading pin do to help me train for that event?

Thanks

Awesome, I can't wait to participate in my first comp. Looks like I need to learn how to bend. Since I don't have a 2HP setup will two 45's with a loading pin do to help me train for that event?

Thanks

Yes, just make sure to load it equally on both sides.

Thanks

Sweet!

Looks like so far we've got:

Adam Moyers

Roger Rainbolt

Roy Mozingo

Ben Edwards

Brad Manion

Josh Dale

I can think of at least 5 more soft committments right now but I won't list them till I get a more solid response.

Thanks for posting this Josh! You've put a lot of work into this man. It's going to be a blast. We definitely have more that say they're interested.

Thanks

Just a suggestion but you may want to experiment with different plates as the "base" plates to get something like the 44 - 54mm thickness that many of the biggest pinches are done on - although of course there are guys like Sam Solomi that use a very wide setting.

Edited by The Mac

Thanks

Just a suggestion but you may want to experiment with different plates as the "base" plates to get something like the 44 - 54mm thickness that many of the biggest pinches are done on - although of course there are guys like Sam Solomi that use a very wide setting.

2x6 with an eyebolt screwed (preferably unevenly) into it, and a loading pin has always worked great for me.

Im about 90% sure I'll be going to this, gonna try and find a ride right now!

Edited by cberg

Im about 90% sure I'll be going to this, gonna try and find a ride right now!

Good news man! It'll be nice to meet you there.

For all the guys who plan on bending DO--state in this thread what level you think you'll realistically be at on contest day. So if you think your max 6" bend might be an "easy" 6" Edgin, I can get those. I can get the hard ones too. And a bunch of stuff inbetween 60Ds all the way up to whatever we need. It looks like in this current batch we don't need anything over a 745lb rated 6" Edgin-Diamond (linear S). Let me know if that changes guys.

We should have 3/16" CRS, 1/4" CRS, 60Ds, several strengths of G5s, several strengths of G8s, 5/16" Drill Rod (O-1), 3/8" HRS-National, and the Edgins. Plus some stuff inbetween the lower ranges.

Having all those different stocks sounds good Ben. My shoulders hurt like hell doing DO nowadays, so I'm starting to learn the modified DU. Hopefully, at least the 5/16" drill rod will fall by then. Anything beyond that would be icing on the cake.

Maybe I missed this, but on the bending, there's no set number of attempts, right? You just bend till you can't bend anymore?

Having all those different stocks sounds good Ben. My shoulders hurt like hell doing DO nowadays, so I'm starting to learn the modified DU. Hopefully, at least the 5/16" drill rod will fall by then. Anything beyond that would be icing on the cake.

Maybe I missed this, but on the bending, there's no set number of attempts, right? You just bend till you can't bend anymore?

Hey Brad, you'll tear up more than a 5/16" DR by then! The gains on the mod DU come really quickly. It seems like a month after I finally got the mod DU to click, I went from a 7" Bastard to a Mag or Insane.

There will be 3 attempts on the bending. Done in flights, like Beatty does to save time. Plus, bending beside other competitors will get the adrenaline flowing a bit more. Bending is NOT rising bar by the way. Shoot for the moon if you want to. But be safe and get an opener.

Yea itll be nice to meet up with you too Ben and some other grip guys! Add me to the list! For the bending, I am thinkin an easy edgin, but maybe one of those diamonds if Im feelin good ;)

Updated list as of 2-8-09

Caolan Berg

Jona Brown

Adam Moyers

Roger Rainbolt

Roy Mozingo

Ben Edwards

Brad Manion

Josh Dale

To clarify: Ben is correct, there will be 3 attempts on the bending and we'll use flights like BBB.

• 3 weeks later...

Josh or Ben, just wondering on the edgins are we allowed to cut the head off for the bend. Those heads always give me wrapping problems :blush.

Thanks!

Josh or Ben, just wondering on the edgins are we allowed to cut the head off for the bend. Those heads always give me wrapping problems :blush.

Thanks!

Definitely okay with me to cut off the heads man. We'll make sure that the length of the bolt - not counting the head - is 6" total. So to clarify, when you leave the head on the bolt you technically give yourself a "free" 3/16-1/4". That head is also sticking further inside the span between the tips of the steel, so you get a length allowance two ways. One in total length, and 3/16" less distance that you have to crush it down at the end. I definitely know what you mean about not wanting to wrap the head though.

What I'm planning on doing is getting 7" Edgins and cutting them down to 6". So that the threads breaking will not be a problem at the contest. I broke the threads on the last 5/16" G8 that I attempted and I'm about done with that kind of stuff.

I'm hoping to get some of the TY-FNL Edgins so that we can have the lower end of the spectrum (665lbs) and then find some of the harder Diamonds too (745lbs). Depending on how my USAWA Nationals training is going, I may take a token bend, just enough to get me whatever place I can get without too much strain. Because grip training is already taking a far-distant back seat to my all-around training in terms of enjoyment right now.

Thanks!

Definitely okay with me to cut off the heads man. We'll make sure that the length of the bolt - not counting the head - is 6" total. So to clarify, when you leave the head on the bolt you technically give yourself a "free" 3/16-1/4". That head is also sticking further inside the span between the tips of the steel, so you get a length allowance two ways. One in total length, and 3/16" less distance that you have to crush it down at the end. I definitely know what you mean about not wanting to wrap the head though.

What I'm planning on doing is getting 7" Edgins and cutting them down to 6". So that the threads breaking will not be a problem at the contest. I broke the threads on the last 5/16" G8 that I attempted and I'm about done with that kind of stuff.

I'm hoping to get some of the TY-FNL Edgins so that we can have the lower end of the spectrum (665lbs) and then find some of the harder Diamonds too (745lbs). Depending on how my USAWA Nationals training is going, I may take a token bend, just enough to get me whatever place I can get without too much strain. Because grip training is already taking a far-distant back seat to my all-around training in terms of enjoyment right now.

Well you do make a good point with the less distance to crush it down, I definitely did not even consider that. That last little bit of crush is a weak point for me right now too so it looks like I may have to practice my wrapping a bit ;). Good call on the threads man, having had them break on myself as well I know its definitely not a fun experience. I like the variety of stuff to bend too sounds like you guys have it all figured out :). You better not take it easy on the bending though you dont want a grip newbie like me beating you at something :laugh. Lookin forward to the comp man cant wait! Also pardon my ignorance but what is USAWA exactly?

Well you do make a good point with the less distance to crush it down, I definitely did not even consider that. That last little bit of crush is a weak point for me right now too so it looks like I may have to practice my wrapping a bit ;). Good call on the threads man, having had them break on myself as well I know its definitely not a fun experience. I like the variety of stuff to bend too sounds like you guys have it all figured out :). You better not take it easy on the bending though you dont want a grip newbie like me beating you at something :laugh. Lookin forward to the comp man cant wait! Also pardon my ignorance but what is USAWA exactly?

Glad you like the no-threads idea man. Not too worried on anybody beating me since it's happened many times before. It's all cycles of training to me. When I'm training the bending hard I feel really hit-and-miss on the grippers, which I really don't like. The first training day after bending my first 5.5" Edgin I had trouble closing a mid-160s gripper. That's not acceptable to me for the upcoming contest. So I'll sacrifice all of my bending strength for a few more pounds on the grippers...they were my first love after all. USAWA is the United States All-Around Weightlifting Association. It's the orginization that sanctioned my first gripper contest in 2002. It's also the org I'm transitioning every scrap of my training time to after the Mo Town contest.

Glad you like the no-threads idea man. Not too worried on anybody beating me since it's happened many times before. It's all cycles of training to me. When I'm training the bending hard I feel really hit-and-miss on the grippers, which I really don't like. So I'll sacrifice a lot of my bending strength for a few more pounds on the grippers...they were my first love after all. USAWA is the United States All-Around Weightlifting Association. It's the orginization that sanctioned my first gripper contest in 2002. It's also the org I'm transitioning every scrap of my training time to after the Mo Town contest.

I didn't know you put on a contest in 02. Got any pics, results, etc..??

I didn't know you put on a contest in 02. Got any pics, results, etc..??

That came out wrong Josh. I should've said it was the org that sanctioned the 2002 Super Grip Challenge. Kevin Fulton promoted it and it was a blast. Also where I met the phenom Matt Graham. The website www.usawa.com has the results of that contest. I think that's the contest where Matt snatched the Blob on his first attempt.

• 2 weeks later...

Got word that Brett Kerby is interested in attending, but will not be competing. That'll be nice to finally meet him and maybe we'll get a few more of the KC Strongman guys out there. Maybe even the Kirksville guys.

Got word that Brett Kerby is interested in attending, but will not be competing. That'll be nice to finally meet him and maybe we'll get a few more of the KC Strongman guys out there. Maybe even the Kirksville guys.

Sweet! Too bad he won't be competing, be great to catch up with him though. Any word on Jason Payne, John Sandy or Scott?

Sweet! Too bad he won't be competing, be great to catch up with him though. Any word on Jason Payne, John Sandy or Scott?

Jason has said a tentative yes. Depends on his phenomenally busy work schedule though. Strippin' ain't easy.

John Sandy is a go as far as I know. He's training with my Axle, so he'd better be interested, haha. I could be using it for some USAWA Nationals shit.

Scott...who knows. Doubtful with his armwrestling allegiance.

A security guard buddy of mine broke his wrist or he'd be up for it. He is not interested now due to rehabbing and he knows he'll lose a lot of ground.