Contrast Baths

BigJan85

I wanted to start doing contrast baths for my hands and I was wondering how long to soak each hand and how many repititions to do between the hot and cold water. Thanks to anyone who can help.

I wanted to start doing contrast baths for my hands and I was wondering how long to soak each hand and how many repititions to do between the hot and cold water. Thanks to anyone who can help.

This worked for me

1. 2 min freezing cold

2. 2 min very hot

3. 2 min freezing cold

4. 2 min very hot

5. 2 min freezing cold

total of 10 min

dipping your arm all the way in the water up to the elbow.

I basically did the same thing, except I prefer to finish with cold.

1.5 to 2 minutes HOT. In the hot water, I like to open and close my hands to futher promote circulation.

1.5 to 2 min COLD. Kitchen sink full of ice cubes. I wait till the hands go numb.

HOT

COLD

-Rex

Ok thanks guys...how hot should the water be? Pretty much as hot as I can handle? I did this tonight after my workout and my hands did actually feel pretty good when I was done. Would it be ok to do this everynight?

Hi.

I do like this

Start with cold 45 sek 45 sek hot

1 min cold 1min hot

1 min 15 cold 1 min hot

1 min 30 cold 1 min hot

Last one upp to 2 min cold, stopp!

I swear by this and i always feel much fresher the day after! :) I do it after everyworkout for my hands...

Ok thanks guys...how hot should the water be? Pretty much as hot as I can handle? I did this tonight after my workout and my hands did actually feel pretty good when I was done. Would it be ok to do this everynight?

The water should be steaming, but not so hot you burn yourself. Do them after every grip workout for faster recovery.

-Rex

I go by feel for the timing on contrasts baths. I sometimes rotate 2 billiard balls under the water.

One thing I always find myself wondering, is what side (hot or cold) is better to finish off with? I found that by the time I'm done the hot water has cooled down a little and it's more neutral so I usually stop there.

-Rob Quinn

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it for 90 seconds each, starting with cold and ending with hot. To make it easy, I used a small indoor trash can we weren't using anymore, filled it with tap water and added lots of ice. I ran hot water in my tub, put the trash can next to it and alternated that way. It doesn't seem to require getting as hot/cold as you can stand it. That is also dangerous, since many people who train have a high tolerance for pain, and you could injure yourself. I put the water somewhat hotter than a hot shower usually runs, and the water was plenty cold from the ice. You have to find where it's good for you. It works, I can tell you that.