Certified Scales

jad

I think all the calibrated scales and certified scales stuff just goes overboard. If you are going to want to get new people to promote their own grip contests there is going to need to be some more reasonable option than having to haul all of their plates somewhere to calibrate them. I weigh my stuff on a digital scale that goes down to .2lb increments and figure that is precise enough for all intents and purposes. I think that misloading/misreading the weights in the events is something that has a larger impact on a contest. I know that it happens at some point at even the most well run contests and is hopefully caught but who even knows if it isn't caught.

I do understand the want for more precision when it comes to WR lifts but there has to be a happy medium between precision and practicality if you ever want the sport to go anywhere.

It's really not that hard to do. I have calibrated 90% of all the plates I own. It's easy when you take 6 or 8 plates at a time. Plus the PO worker doesn't get testy.

Just because your scale reads to 0.2lb, or 0.1kg, or whatever, does not mean that it is accurate to that amount - it just means that it WEIGHS to that amount. You could put an actual 50lb weight on a scale and get a result of 53.43506897954984384lbs, and all it would mean is that you are about 3.5lbs out.

As for other options, you could always use a set of competiton weights to calibrate a scale (as done in the UK with Laine's Ivankos, I believe), that might be possible.

Right on Chris. I didn't mean that I consider my digital scale to be certified. Just meant it's at least a touch more accurate than the old spring-type bathroom scales I used to squeeze as a kid. Good idea with the competition weights! I'm going to a superb USAWA gym on the 15th (Al Myers's Gym) and maybe, just maybe, he has some sort of certified scale. That would be kind of a bastardly request though..."Hey can I come over, use your lifting equipment, and then weigh all my 1,000lbs of plates." :D

Does anyone know if something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/76-LB-SHIPPING-DIGITAL...:1|293:1|294:50 would be sufficient for record lists and stuff? I believe this is the same one Aaron has and I was wondering, if so it might be a good option for the rest of you. It says ACCURATE to .2oz, not precise. The only problem would be maintaining accuracy but as long as you weighed plates initially, cross checked them with a PO, then cross checked any future weighing times with the old plates before calibrating new ones it should be no problem at all.

Just because your scale reads to 0.2lb, or 0.1kg, or whatever, does not mean that it is accurate to that amount - it just means that it WEIGHS to that amount. You could put an actual 50lb weight on a scale and get a result of 53.43506897954984384lbs, and all it would mean is that you are about 3.5lbs out.

As for other options, you could always use a set of competiton weights to calibrate a scale (as done in the UK with Laine's Ivankos, I believe), that might be possible.

Right on Chris. I didn't mean that I consider my digital scale to be certified. Just meant it's at least a touch more accurate than the old spring-type bathroom scales I used to squeeze as a kid. Good idea with the competition weights! I'm going to a superb USAWA gym on the 15th (Al Myers's Gym) and maybe, just maybe, he has some sort of certified scale. That would be kind of a bastardly request though..."Hey can I come over, use your lifting equipment, and then weigh all my 1,000lbs of plates." :D

I'm sure that a lifting gym would understand.

Does anyone know if something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/76-LB-SHIPPING-DIGITAL...:1|293:1|294:50 would be sufficient for record lists and stuff? I believe this is the same one Aaron has and I was wondering, if so it might be a good option for the rest of you. It says ACCURATE to .2oz, not precise. The only problem would be maintaining accuracy but as long as you weighed plates initially, cross checked them with a PO, then cross checked any future weighing times with the old plates before calibrating new ones it should be no problem at all.

I also see on ebay the ULTRASHIP 75# postal scale that is ACCURATE to .1oz / 5g

and readability .01 lb / .005 kg

Edited by lone Wolf