The Other King Of Exercises?

NavyDave

http://www.overspeedtraining.com/legsart.htm

Since I have been doing these (after squats) with DBs and BBs, my SQ has felt super strong and it has also helped align my hips (by bringing up the weaker side) and alleviated the back pain I had (and pain thru my whole left side). I had done these a couple years back and I believe they were instrumental in bringing my squat up from 550 belt and wraps to 640 no belt or wraps in a few MONTHS. No drugs. Also my rack pulls felt super strong when I Was doing the step ups, prob from the increased ham power.

Edited by NavyDave

Interesting article, I may have to give it a spin.

That article has no credibility with me saying you should not full squat.

Well who are you. This was co-written by Terry Todd (record breaking PLer in the old days) and talks about Taranenko's training (586 clean and jerk).

Edited by NavyDave

Well who are you. This was co-written by Terry Todd (record breaking PLer in the old days) and talks about Taranenko's training (586 clean and jerk).

No need to put other people down here.... i did not know you had to be a power lifting elite champion just to disagree with something...

Good article, Makes sence. It probably did help you with your squat by working on your flexibility issues and imbalances. But will increase your squat for only a little period of time ( lets say the few months you did it). Much the same as bench pressing you switch over to dumbbells versus a barbell for a little bit. In the end if you want to increase Squating strength or benching you Squat and bench the good old fashioned way.

Theres many different articles by many different "champions". Some will say to hop on 1 foot or just do plyometrics or squat on a bosu ball :laugh or drink their magical protein shake they are selling.

But i feel regular squats and deadlifts and overhead presses are the best exercises. Something like this article is good for a little variety, i dont think squats should be removed in replace of this though.

Now as far as this having a less chance of injury, i really dont see it. instead of squatting in place, now your moving 1 foot up on top of a step with a heavy weight on your shoulder when your coming down the step 1 foot is on the platform while your bent down reaching the floor with your other foot. In my opnion this has a extremely greater chance of injury.

Now im no power lifting expert, and im willing to read about other peoples thoughts and opinions, Be it an elite athlete or a complete novice, because im here to learn and share ideas, you dont have to be an elite athlete to have your own thoughts and ideas about training or anything for that matter.

No need to put other people down here.... i did not know you had to be a power lifting elite champion just to disagree with something...

But i feel regular squats and deadlifts and overhead presses are the best exercises. Something like this article is good for a little variety, i dont think squats should be removed in replace of this though.

Now as far as this having a less chance of injury, i really dont see it. instead of squatting in place, now your moving 1 foot up on top of a step with a heavy weight on your shoulder when your coming down the step 1 foot is on the platform while your bent down reaching the floor with your other foot. In my opnion this has a extremely greater chance of injury.

Nobody is allowed to disagree with me!!! NOBODY!!!! :trout hhahaha

Heavy stepups of course offer a different set of risks like if you stepped wrong or fell off or something, but it risk for LOW BACK strains is virtually zero, which is what the article was specifically referring to. Obviously you haven't tried them or else you wouldn't be worrying about the injury possibility. They are pretty easy to do.

I also trained front and back squats on opposite weeks from my heavy step up program. I literally hit a PR every workout.

Edited by NavyDave

Nobody is allowed to disagree with me!!! NOBODY!!!! :trout hhahaha

Heavy stepups of course offer a different set of risks like if you stepped wrong or fell off or something, but it risk for LOW BACK strains is virtually zero, which is what the article was specifically referring to. Obviously you haven't tried them or else you wouldn't be worrying about the injury possibility. They are pretty easy to do.

I also trained front and back squats on opposite weeks from my heavy step up program. I literally hit a PR every workout.

I have seen other lifters who did exactly what you said above alternating step ups with back and front squats and they also made a lot of progress in both their DLs and Sqs. There would have to be practice with the competition lifts or you would bomb out at a meet, but it is an option. BTW i would add if lower back stress is a big concern Powerlifting is perhaps the wrong sport of choice...

That is an interesting article, thankyou

I think I will give it a try, it should certainly help to even out the disparity in my hip and leg strength

• 2 weeks later...

Tried it today, did the weights from the article, the weights were a little light, will try it again in 2 weeks. Plan to try alternating it with squats. Liked the feel of it, though.