Bicep Protection

kogba

Well, I've read about many injuries regarding biceps(tears, tendons), I've seen even strongmen to suffer from it.

How does this happen? Is it certain moves, wrong technique? I know that every individual has it's own limitations in strength(an insignificant weight for a strongman could be a maximum lift for me), so, injuries can happen to all.

Is it safer to perform a maximum deadlift with double overhand? (as opposed to 1 hand underhand --- sorry for the bad English).

I don't go and try my absolute max at every time I train(regardless of the exercise): I alternate high-rep training, medium-rep and low-rep as well.

So, when I trained biceps(and other lifts) and wanted to try my max for 1-2 reps full movement, I'd do it without any problem, but having read/seen so much about bicep tears(another thread is for heavy negative pull-ups), I wonder if I'm on my way for an injury :blush (I never had any injury so far when trying my limits, but you never know).

Anyway, maybe I don't need to worry to much about hurting my biceps, as the chances are really small and I'm becoming paranoid :D

P.S.: I've read here that, over the years of exercising, the tendons are getting stronger. Doesn't this protect from injuries? On the other hand, the muscles are also getting stronger and in the end you lift more weight, so the stress on the tendons remains.

As an example, I was reading the armwrestiling section and many say the tendons take years to get stronger, and it takes patience and smart training to remain injury - free.

Edited by kogba

What happens to many of the guys is they can't extend their arm fully anymore thanks to bulk or what-have-you. You'll see that guys like this have bent elbows during max deads, they are at an extremely high risk of a bicep tear. Yes, DO or Hook Grip are much safer in this regard.

IMO Flexibility is the most important thing to prevent injuries.

This means working on your flexibility through exercises, but also being warmed up properly.

With deadlifts you have to keep in mind to use your triceps to extend your arm, and to keep it straight.

Your arms should act as cables to your body, only used to hold on to the weight, not to assist in lifting the weight.

When I worked for Alaska Airlines one of the guys there (he was late 30s) tore the tendon connecting his long head muscle in his bicep. Which then retracted back up into his arm. It was one of the weirdest things I had ever seen. He was only throwing luggage at the time (90% of is 50 lbs or less), something he had been doing everyday for the last 10 years. But he said he heard (yes he actually heard it) snap and give out. The weird thing was he was in virtually no pain, the swelling was very minimal and he wanted to continue working. All of us on duty had to nearly push him out the door to go to the hospital.

He was back 4 weeks later with a scar 3/4 around his bicep. It was crazy.

So be very careful when doing explosive exercises, I sure there were other contributors but even with proper form and easy repetition things can happen.

Is it safer to perform a maximum deadlift with double overhand? (as opposed to 1 hand underhand --- sorry for the bad English).

Yea! double overhand is safer

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/newsletter/...s/mens/brad.jpg

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=_a4o6BSWwl4

Edited by pawel r