How To Strengthen Hips?

Bearcat 74

Guys we had some trouble with hip injuries last year in football, these are middle school age kids. We lift 2x per week, we rotate our core lifts every few weeks, they are, squat, front squat, overhead squat, bench press, incline, military, bradford press, power clean, hang clean, power curls, chins, dips, lots of plyo's and stretching. What are some things we could do, preferably as a group, I have 45 kids in the weightroom by myself, that would help strengthen our hips and help with hip flexibility?

Thanks

Heath,

You have to start incorporating unilateral movements for the lower body:

Step-ups

Lunges

Bulgarian Split Squat

One-Leg squats to bench/box

This not only strengthens the supportive musculature of the hip and knees, but improves mobility of the hips by stretching the hip flexors / extensors.

Don't forget your soft-tissue work and your static stretching might improve if you use jumpstretch bands to increase the ROM.

We do a ton of lunges when we can get outside, I forgot to mention those, we do forward, backwards and lateral lunges.

A lot of times it's recruitment issues. Kids sit around so much their hips sometimes don't even fire when they are supposed to. If you do all the lunges - side lunges etc and the kids butt isn't sore the next day - he has recruitment issues - and lots of people have that problem. More so that I ever would have believed until I started working with my track kids. I see kids squat all the time and their butt never even tenses at all. Start with Supermans and make sure they are using their butt muscles - then move on to glute ham raises if possible (tough with that many kids) and make them tighten them glutes when they do it. Then try some drills where they consciously use their glutes as the walk, exercise, and move around. Kettlebell swings are good too if you make them consciously use their butt as they come up. Your exercise choices don't sound so far off - make them learn to use their butt for movement instead of a place to park themselves.

We do a lot of box squatting making sure they push their butt back so their knees don't go over thier toes. We have two glute ham machines but it is a pain to try to get them to do them correct. All my kids have good form on every lift except glutes, I get so pissed off teaching them the lift I have about scrapped it.

Not sue if sled work would be practical but I have done a lot of ankle dragging in the past and it was one of the best things for brining my hip strength up. THe plus was some good GPP while doing it as well. Now keep in mind that I am in no way an athlete and in fact throw like a girl scout!LOL THe dragging really made my hips feel tight, but in a good way.

We do a lot of box squatting making sure they push their butt back so their knees don't go over thier toes. We have two glute ham machines but it is a pain to try to get them to do them correct. All my kids have good form on every lift except glutes, I get so pissed off teaching them the lift I have about scrapped it.

Can I have your glute-ham raises then?

If you can talk the high school football coaches out of the glute ham machine you can come and get them.

Smitty, we will be adding split squats and 1 legged squats on Tuesday, they will be perfect for our position work in groups. Thanks

A lot of times it's recruitment issues.

This is the key. I've been doing a lot of mobility drills and hip stretching for the past few months and now every time I squat my butt gets so sore sitting on the toilet is painful for the next few days.

standard squats works just fine for me as long as I go that extra inch deep. I can relate to Jonathan up there, if I do 'em right I most definately feel it the next couple days.