New Rolling Thunder.....................

1stCoC

How do the new RTs compair to a crusher?

How do the new RTs compair to a crusher?

good question - I'd like to know also!

anyone own both?

Good analysis. Don't get down. Just think about the tips I gave you. You need to change how you are trying to lift it - just like I have had to do. It was a pleasure meeting you and your son by the way, and seeing your brother again.

Wade

I was at the Fit Expo in Los Angeles yesterday and the day before yesterday. The Rolling Thunder aspect of the Grip Gauntlet was one of the most disappointing moments of my "grip career".

They had the Deluxe new and improved model, with 167 in weight (160 in plates). The first time I took it to just a little shy of locking the elbow out...some would have given it a white light, but I would not have. From there, it only went down. I have the device at home, but I only tried it a couple of times. I had 187 about 1/3 up, so I thought 182 was something I could do. Hell no! This sucker does not work the same way at all.

My best Rolling Thunder on an old handle was 216, best in competition years ago (when I was not as strong as I am now) was 202. I have done over 200 recently a number of times. Last night at home, I worked out and got 172 up about 80% on the new device.

The worst part of not getting it at the Grip Gauntlet was seeing a relatively large amount of people (one in every 25 it looked to me) get it, and nongrip guys at that.

This is a completely different implement/lift/exercise. Basically, it is like doing a Rolling Thunder Thumbless. The use of your thumb, which is something I use as much as I possibly can, seems to do no good whatsoever. Quite frankly, I think that smaller handed guys with strong wrists are going to like this, as a larger hand is no guarantee that you will pull big numbers on it.

A few weeks back, I said it would yield 6-8% lower numbers. I think it will be more like 10-25%, depending on the person.

A Humbling Experience, failing at 167 while watching regular weight trainers picking it up sucessfully. :blush Terrible, just terrible :angry:

I already own a 2" Crusher and yesterday I ordered the

2.5" and 3" Crushers.

I will never purchase another IM Rolling Thunder. John's

is the BEST out there. Period!

I vote to make the FBBC Crusher the new standard tool

for this type of grip feat.

Good work John!!! ;)

Mighty Joe

Definitely.

I still don't understand what is different about the new handle. Somebody mentioned bearings? Is the part you grab metal instead of PVC?

I still don't understand what is different about the new handle. Somebody mentioned bearings? Is the part you grab metal instead of PVC?

New handle:

Machined stainless steel metal parts

New plastic handle with much lower coefficient of friction (possibly UHMWPE)

Old handle:

Welded and painted metal parts

PVC plastic handle.

The old handle feels downright sticky compared to the new one.

Side-by-side photo for comparison:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn25/cr.../DSCN0028-2.jpg

No Thanks!

I'll take the FBBC Crushers any day. ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Mighty Joe

• 1 month later...

I recieved my RT from Ironmind yesterday. Today I went to the studio to give it a try. I managed to pull 154lbs (70kg) +(the handle and some chain). I really liked it. I've been doing only grippers, pinching and wrist curls for a long time now, and it's really nice with a new exercise :D

Just wondering, what would be a good number on the new RT?

Good analysis. Don't get down. Just think about the tips I gave you. You need to change how you are trying to lift it - just like I have had to do. It was a pleasure meeting you and your son by the way, and seeing your brother again.

Wade

I was at the Fit Expo in Los Angeles yesterday and the day before yesterday. The Rolling Thunder aspect of the Grip Gauntlet was one of the most disappointing moments of my "grip career".

They had the Deluxe new and improved model, with 167 in weight (160 in plates). The first time I took it to just a little shy of locking the elbow out...some would have given it a white light, but I would not have. From there, it only went down. I have the device at home, but I only tried it a couple of times. I had 187 about 1/3 up, so I thought 182 was something I could do. Hell no! This sucker does not work the same way at all.

My best Rolling Thunder on an old handle was 216, best in competition years ago (when I was not as strong as I am now) was 202. I have done over 200 recently a number of times. Last night at home, I worked out and got 172 up about 80% on the new device.

The worst part of not getting it at the Grip Gauntlet was seeing a relatively large amount of people (one in every 25 it looked to me) get it, and nongrip guys at that.

This is a completely different implement/lift/exercise. Basically, it is like doing a Rolling Thunder Thumbless. The use of your thumb, which is something I use as much as I possibly can, seems to do no good whatsoever. Quite frankly, I think that smaller handed guys with strong wrists are going to like this, as a larger hand is no guarantee that you will pull big numbers on it.

A few weeks back, I said it would yield 6-8% lower numbers. I think it will be more like 10-25%, depending on the person.

A Humbling Experience, failing at 167 while watching regular weight trainers picking it up sucessfully. :blush Terrible, just terrible :angry:

You know how you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Same thing goes for geezers. However, I have been training on my new one, and since the Fit Expo, today, I did an easy 177. Had 182 90% up. I have been doing 2 sets of 10 reps once per week, with my same cocked wrist explosive style, and and it is improving steadily. It seems to work a different part of the forearm than before, which is a good thing for me.