New Rolling Thunder.....................

1stCoC

We just ordered the "new" Rolling thunders. Truly are a thing of beauty quality through and through. But, the re- design with space age machining and materials have made it very formidable. I suggest anyone looking for bragging rights in the future better check it out first! RS

We just ordered the "new" Rolling thunders. Truly are a thing of beauty quality through and through. But, the re- design with space age machining and materials have made it very formidable. I suggest anyone looking for bragging rights in the future better check it out first! RS

any idea what would be considered a good lift on it yet?

My results have been less than steller. My top lift on an old handle is 277 with a narrow miss with 287. On a new old handle I am in the 255 range on a good day. With this thing 187, narrow miss with 197. Most I have seen anyone do is 205. I've heard Odd did 220. Felix did 280 left but his hand size is a complete anomoly - he may even be hooking the handle. Last workout with it is here: http://www.jackalsgym.com/blog.aspx?user_id=1&blog_id=12 The FitExpo this weekend with GNC will be interesting. We will have to play with the weight to see what is doable so we have an idea for the Arnold.

My results have been less than steller. My top lift on an old handle is 277 with a narrow miss with 287. On a new old handle I am in the 255 range on a good day. With this thing 187, narrow miss with 197. Most I have seen anyone do is 205. I've heard Odd did 220. Felix did 280 left but his hand size is a complete anomoly - he may even be hooking the handle. Last workout with it is here: http://www.jackalsgym.com/blog.aspx?user_id=1&blog_id=12 The FitExpo this weekend with GNC will be interesting. We will have to play with the weight to see what is doable so we have an idea for the Arnold.

212 is the heavy weight on the old RT isn't it? would you be able to make a guess at what the 212 might feel like on the new handle if you had the two side by side? pick up one and then the other until they feel about the same - am I making sense? Obviously you can't compare them pound for pound because 90lbs less on the new handle would probably be a joke for everyone, yet that is the difference for you between the two RT's - thats gonig to be a tough call - I would hate for the RT lift at max weight on the new handle to be a tougher feat than before - know what I mean? Soon as you have picked the new weight for the new RT at the grip gauntlet, will you post to let everyone know what they need to be training for on the new handle? thanks in advance

212 is the heavy weight on the old RT isn't it? would you be able to make a guess at what the 212 might feel like on the new handle if you had the two side by side? pick up one and then the other until they feel about the same - am I making sense? Obviously you can't compare them pound for pound because 90lbs less on the new handle would probably be a joke for everyone, yet that is the difference for you between the two RT's - thats gonig to be a tough call - I would hate for the RT lift at max weight on the new handle to be a tougher feat than before - know what I mean? Soon as you have picked the new weight for the new RT at the grip gauntlet, will you post to let everyone know what they need to be training for on the new handle? thanks in advance

With that amount of difference, it would be like comparing the old vintage silver crush 3 to a modern 3.

I have no idea Paul. Problem is 212 at a fitness expo is about all I can handle and can't do it all the time. Too many people greasing up the handle and I am pretty fatigued. I don't think I will be lifting any less on this new handle at the shows than I can in the gym since it is already greasy. I'm thinking 167, 177, 187 for the light, med, heavy versions but I will know more after this weekend.

What is the difference of the handles? Is the new one slicker or does it just rotate much easier?

Sorry, I have no answer for you Florian but in my opinion ironmind found a good new way to make people buy a new rolling thunder because you will have to cert on the new RT from now on I guess. It looks great nevertheless but is it worth the new price?

Sorry, I have no answer for you Florian but in my opinion ironmind found a good new way to make people buy a new rolling thunder because you will have to cert on the new RT from now on I guess. It looks great nevertheless but is it worth the new price?

Difference is it has a very slippery feel to it. Rotation is not as big of an issue unless you are used to lifting on an old one that doesn't spin well and may stick in some positions. A few years back I did 267 on a sticky handle then oiled it and dropped off to 235 same workout. With oil it rotated better than new which is why I dropped below what I could do on a brand new handle at the time. This is a different beast - my best on a sticky handle now is a very close miss at 287 but a miss at 187 same workout with the new design. For me it is too slippery to use my thumb to clamp down so I drop off severely. For guys with strong static wrists and fingers they won't drop off as much percentage wise as I have.

By the way I don't think Ironmind has any evil intentions with this handle. It is a much better peice of equipment - will have better consistancy and longevity - but the weights lifted will drop off when this one gets in the mainstream.

I have no idea Paul. Problem is 212 at a fitness expo is about all I can handle and can't do it all the time. Too many people greasing up the handle and I am pretty fatigued. I don't think I will be lifting any less on this new handle at the shows than I can in the gym since it is already greasy. I'm thinking 167, 177, 187 for the light, med, heavy versions but I will know more after this weekend.

yikes! I better get one and start training on it then!

Difference is it has a very slippery feel to it. Rotation is not as big of an issue unless you are used to lifting on an old one that doesn't spin well and may stick in some positions. A few years back I did 267 on a sticky handle then oiled it and dropped off to 235 same workout. With oil it rotated better than new which is why I dropped below what I could do on a brand new handle at the time. This is a different beast - my best on a sticky handle now is a very close miss at 287 but a miss at 187 same workout with the new design. For me it is too slippery to use my thumb to clamp down so I drop off severely. For guys with strong static wrists and fingers they won't drop off as much percentage wise as I have.

By the way I don't think Ironmind has any evil intentions with this handle. It is a much better peice of equipment - will have better consistancy and longevity - but the weights lifted will drop off when this one gets in the mainstream.

Thanks for your answer, Wade!

the top lifters on the old rolling thunder will be the top lifters on the new rolling thunder :blink so why buy one just a scheme to make us poorer :blush and ironminds not a sponsor of this site

Now that the Crusher list is up and running, the RT means little to me, and I doubt I'll buy one. But if I happen across the new model I'll be more than happy to give it a pull.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

What? They've improved what was a, frankly amateurish, piece of kit and made it a Pro piece of kit! Now live with it.

Now go buy a Crusher.

I already own a 2" Crusher and yesterday I ordered the

2.5" and 3" Crushers.

I will never purchase another IM Rolling Thunder. John's

is the BEST out there. Period!

I vote to make the FBBC Crusher the new standard tool

for this type of grip feat.

Good work John!!! ;)

Mighty Joe

This is interesting. I just bought a 'new' Rolling Thunder. Yesterday was my 3rd time using it. I've been using it after my gripper workouts, so I could probably do a little better fresh. I managed a best of 147-1/2. I've never tried the older design and never knew there was any difference until now. After seeing Wade's #'s, I actually felt a little better about mine. Before, I kept seeing a lot of other people well into the 200's and looked at my #'s as pathetic even for a newbie. Maybe they aren't too bad then?

oh boy.. grip gauntlet should be interesting this year then.

AH! This is what I was looking to talk to you about... Whew... haha.

Sounds like the numbers for the masses should be real similar to Clay's rolling handle (homemade, all metal w/bearings). My best on an old handle was in the 230-240 range and I never pulled 200 on Clays.

Edited by maidenfan

I was at the Fit Expo in Los Angeles yesterday and the day before yesterday. The Rolling Thunder aspect of the Grip Gauntlet was one of the most disappointing moments of my "grip career".

They had the Deluxe new and improved model, with 167 in weight (160 in plates). The first time I took it to just a little shy of locking the elbow out...some would have given it a white light, but I would not have. From there, it only went down. I have the device at home, but I only tried it a couple of times. I had 187 about 1/3 up, so I thought 182 was something I could do. Hell no! This sucker does not work the same way at all.

My best Rolling Thunder on an old handle was 216, best in competition years ago (when I was not as strong as I am now) was 202. I have done over 200 recently a number of times. Last night at home, I worked out and got 172 up about 80% on the new device.

The worst part of not getting it at the Grip Gauntlet was seeing a relatively large amount of people (one in every 25 it looked to me) get it, and nongrip guys at that.

This is a completely different implement/lift/exercise. Basically, it is like doing a Rolling Thunder Thumbless. The use of your thumb, which is something I use as much as I possibly can, seems to do no good whatsoever. Quite frankly, I think that smaller handed guys with strong wrists are going to like this, as a larger hand is no guarantee that you will pull big numbers on it.

A few weeks back, I said it would yield 6-8% lower numbers. I think it will be more like 10-25%, depending on the person.

A Humbling Experience, failing at 167 while watching regular weight trainers picking it up sucessfully. :blush Terrible, just terrible :angry:

Edited by Hubgeezer