Strength Endurance

Pancake Sprawl

well guys, i'm back here asking another newbish question. how do you develop strength endurance? i think i have horrible strength endurance. like for instance, i can close a #3 easily once. i can even grind the handles, and hold it for a bit. BUT, when i try to go for reps i can't even shut it for a 2nd rep usually. same thing when i go for curls. i can curl 55lbs pretty easily 2 times, but if i try to go for a 3 rep it's like i'm dead. i have to wait 2-3 minutes before i can do it again, yet my muscles don't feel fatigued or engorged with blood like usually they would, they don't even hurt, it's like i just can't do it.

so here i am, asking for your help once again.

Edited by Pancake Sprawl

I don't know much about weight training, but with grippers, I would go down a level and work on building reps. Grab a #2 and do a couple sets of max reps. Do the same with a #2.5 once your satisfied with how you're doing on the #2. You'll get the feel for reps and you should be able to start adding reps to the #3.

It really does start slow, I think. On my BBSM, for example, I think it took me just as long to add a 2nd rep as it did to close the gripper for the first time. But then the 3rd rep came quicker, then the 4th a little quicker still. And so forth. :rock

Edited by Cannon

lower the weight maybe......so you get more out of it

Strength endurance is overated. Brutal Explosive destructive speed and power is the way to go. would much rather knock someone out and break bones on the first hit than scrap for half a day. :D

- Aaron

Strength endurance is overated. Brutal Explosive destructive speed and power is the way to go. would much rather knock someone out and break bones on the first hit than scrap for half a day. :D

- Aaron

yeah, that's my problem. i can kill a lot of weight one time, but after that i'm done. i understand how it's overrated, but if i can't kill the guy in the 1st round, i'm done lol

Over rated - well maybe in today's world where people sit on their butt all day but see how far that attitude will get you if you have to actually work all day physically - or if you get into a fight where the guy takes your one big punch and laughs at you. You'll wish you'd worked it a little harder I bet.

And Aaron - I've read your workouts - lots of strength endurance in there buddy so do I see a little sarcasm there? :blush

How to build it - start with circuit training and build from there - it's fairly easy to weight strength for a while and then endurance by manipulating resistance - rest periods etc. There are many other methods of course depending on your goals of local area endurance versus overall body.

Over rated - well maybe in today's world where people sit on their butt all day but see how far that attitude will get you if you have to actually work all day physically - or if you get into a fight where the guy takes your one big punch and laughs at you. You'll wish you'd worked it a little harder I bet.

And Aaron - I've read your workouts - lots of strength endurance in there buddy so do I see a little sarcasm there? :blush

How to build it - start with circuit training and build from there - it's fairly easy to weight strength for a while and then endurance by manipulating resistance - rest periods etc. There are many other methods of course depending on your goals of local area endurance versus overall body.

yeah, that's thing though. for some reason, my stamina isn't bad. i can fight for 20 minutes and still be good, i can even work construction all day being a mason's labor, getting hallow tile/rocks/cement all day without lunch break or anything and still not be dead tired. but for some reason i cannot lift like 80% of my max up more then twice, i can never increase the number.

like my curl for example. my max 1 rep is about 75lbs. i cannot lift 50lbs for more then 2 reps. BUT i can lift that 50lbs for 2 reps for like an hour as long as i get 3 minute or so breaks in between each set. muscles don't fatigue or get tired, it's like my body is just not wanting to do it.

Listen to the man; he knows whereof he speaks!

David Horne is also someone you might want to weigh in on this, one lunch with him taught me a LOT, all of it against the convention of what makes a strong grip. Whatever I've done since then has led to slower (not that I've ever gained grip quickly) but more even, and more longlasting gains.

I don't know much about weight training, but with grippers, I would go down a level and work on building reps. Grab a #2 and do a couple sets of max reps. Do the same with a #2.5 once your satisfied with how you're doing on the #2. You'll get the feel for reps and you should be able to start adding reps to the #3.

It really does start slow, I think. On my BBSM, for example, I think it took me just as long to add a 2nd rep as it did to close the gripper for the first time. But then the 3rd rep came quicker, then the 4th a little quicker still. And so forth. :rock

well see, there's my problem. it's already been way passed the time that it took me from closing the #2 to the #3. it took 2 weeks for that, now it's taken like ...i don't even know how long. i can shut it, and the 2nd attempt comes really close, i just can't get it.

well see, there's my problem. it's already been way passed the time that it took me from closing the #2 to the #3. it took 2 weeks for that, now it's taken like ...i don't even know how long. i can shut it, and the 2nd attempt comes really close, i just can't get it.

could be it shifts in your hand slightly from the first to the 2nd rep. if so it would likely be in a less favorable position and that can certainly make a difference. choker work or holding the sping might help if this is the case.

- Aaron

could be it shifts in your hand slightly from the first to the 2nd rep. if so it would likely be in a less favorable position and that can certainly make a difference. choker work or holding the sping might help if this is the case.

- Aaron

yes, holding the spring does work, but the choker work feels really awkward when i do this? i don't know why? kind of like i cannot get momentum or something?

well guys, i'm back here asking another newbish question. how do you develop strength endurance? i think i have horrible strength endurance. like for instance, i can close a #3 easily once. i can even grind the handles, and hold it for a bit. BUT, when i try to go for reps i can't even shut it for a 2nd rep usually. same thing when i go for curls. i can curl 55lbs pretty easily 2 times, but if i try to go for a 3 rep it's like i'm dead. i have to wait 2-3 minutes before i can do it again, yet my muscles don't feel fatigued or engorged with blood like usually they would, they don't even hurt, it's like i just can't do it.

I don't know what your lifting background is but if you are just starting out endurance is something that will come with time as you steadily increase your volume. Secondly I would check in on your diet - are you eating enough protein? When are you eating before you go to the gym? Third, if you are an experienced lifter and have you diet dialed in you can try Creatine and/or Beta Alanine, and I am a big proponent of Red Bull before the workout. The gluconolactone in it gives you a nice mellow boost.

One thing I have found specifically for gripper endurance is wrist curls, extensions, and lower arm pronation and supination work have helped my crushing endurance tremendously. Before starting wrist work a few years ago I was really sensitive on grippers - couldn't do anything if I taxed my grip at all earlier in the week. Now I am nearly the same strength at all times - rested or not. It takes a bit to get used to the volume but after you adapt I think grip strength overall will improve when adding wrist work.

- Aaron

yes, holding the spring does work, but the choker work feels really awkward when i do this? i don't know why? kind of like i cannot get momentum or something?

Chokers felt this way for me a while ago, I could MMS a #2.5 but couldn't close a 2 in a choker at parallel (I know, weird huh?), WORK THEM, that's all there is to it. Just a bit of technique, just like MMS is. You have to get it positioned just right in your hand and explode into it. Now I've closed my 3.5 at 7/8" in a choker and am way stronger then MMS as it should be. Also for general strength endurance I really like AKC style KB training, really good for endurance, cardio, strength, and respiratory systems.

I don't know what your lifting background is but if you are just starting out endurance is something that will come with time as you steadily increase your volume. Secondly I would check in on your diet - are you eating enough protein? When are you eating before you go to the gym? Third, if you are an experienced lifter and have you diet dialed in you can try Creatine and/or Beta Alanine, and I am a big proponent of Red Bull before the workout. The gluconolactone in it gives you a nice mellow boost.

One thing I have found specifically for gripper endurance is wrist curls, extensions, and lower arm pronation and supination work have helped my crushing endurance tremendously. Before starting wrist work a few years ago I was really sensitive on grippers - couldn't do anything if I taxed my grip at all earlier in the week. Now I am nearly the same strength at all times - rested or not. It takes a bit to get used to the volume but after you adapt I think grip strength overall will improve when adding wrist work.

yes! this is what i was looking for! i am the same as you before, i cannot do anything if i taxed my grip at all. now i see what has been holding me back, i stopped doing sledge levering, wrist cruls and such for a while, focusing mainly on my rest of my body. i've been lifting weights since i was 18 (i'm 24 now) but i haven't done it seriously in a while. thanks a lot for the information, i'm sure this is going to put me over the edge.

- Aaron

Chokers felt this way for me a while ago, I could MMS a #2.5 but couldn't close a 2 in a choker at parallel (I know, weird huh?), WORK THEM, that's all there is to it. Just a bit of technique, just like MMS is. You have to get it positioned just right in your hand and explode into it. Now I've closed my 3.5 at 7/8" in a choker and am way stronger then MMS as it should be. Also for general strength endurance I really like AKC style KB training, really good for endurance, cardio, strength, and respiratory systems.

ok, thanks A LOT man! i guess i will just stick with this choker grippers for a bit more and see if i can get used to it like you say!

The gluconolactone in it gives you a nice mellow boost.
The one, the ONLY reason to drink that chemical stuff!

[self edit] from sh*t* to stuff[/self edit)

(Involve heavy and)Time+reps=endurance; endurance=time+reps

David Horne told me that, and (whowouldathunkit) he was right. Strangely tho, my Max Power has increased as well as my endurance...although KTA has helped that A LOT. But without David's advice, I doubt I would have made it through one. let alone two cycles of KTA.

The gluconolactone in it gives you a nice mellow boost.
The one, the ONLY reason to drink that chemical stuff!

[self edit] from sh*t* to stuff[/self edit)

(Involve heavy and)Time+reps=endurance; endurance=time+reps

David Horne told me that, and (whowouldathunkit) he was right. Strangely tho, my Max Power has increased as well as my endurance...although KTA has helped that A LOT. But without David's advice, I doubt I would have made it through one. let alone two cycles of KTA.

so ...the longer i train and the more reps i do, i should increase my endurance correct? as long as i keep hitting the weights and striking while the iron is hot i should be good?

thanks for that info!