Good Routine For A 14 Yo

AnimalCage

Alex is 5'9", 220 lbs, and has a goal weight of 180 plus increased strength. I'm not a lifter, so I defer to the expansive knowledge here, especially the many teenagers on here who are quite successful in your own lifting pursuits. Besides squats, deadlifts, benching, and pullups/chinups/dips, what would be some good basic exercises to focus on? Is there a generic basic program he can start with?

Besides what you mentioned, these are some good basic exercises:

Biceps:

Barbell Curls

Dumbbell Curls

Hammer curls

Triceps:

Skull crushers

Cable press/pull-downs

Narrow grip benchpress

Shoulders:

Barbell & Dumbbell shoulder press

Upright Rows

Lateral Raises

Reverse Flyes

Chest (besides benching):

Flyes

Back (besides deadlifts, chins, etc):

Barbell/dumbbell rows

Legs:

Leg-press, squats (duh :D), lunges

And here are some other things you can check out:

http://www.leehayward.com/beginners.htm

http://www.leehayward.com/workouts.htm

http://www.leehayward.com/nutrition.htm

http://www.leehayward.com/bulkup.htm

http://www.leehayward.com/powertraining.htm

Edited by Magnus

I don't have any advice for you. I've tried all kinds of different things and still have no clue what I'm doing half the time :blush I hope Alex keeps with it and another super-grippster is in the making :D

Lose the weight first - make that a top priority as it will affect the rest of his life more than any thing else. Develop a strength program that is high on GPP - then direct it towards his goals as he becomes ready. Develop a large array of engrams - they will advance all athletic endeavors more than strength.

The people who have success with training find an activity that speaks to them emotionally and generates a social network that promotes results. Figure out how to create that for him, and it won't really matter what exercises he does. The intrinsic motivation that appears will yield results on almost any program.

If he's still growing (and I assume he is) DO NOT LET HIM TRAIN HIS MAX! Max weights plus green bones are a recipe for disaster. Full body exercises are what you want for a youngster, get him grounded in the basics; Squats and variations, Deads and variations, and a whole gamut of pressing.

And teach him to like cardio, something my parents never did.

Alex is 5'9", 220 lbs, and has a goal weight of 180 plus increased strength. I'm not a lifter, so I defer to the expansive knowledge here, especially the many teenagers on here who are quite successful in your own lifting pursuits. Besides squats, deadlifts, benching, and pullups/chinups/dips, what would be some good basic exercises to focus on? Is there a generic basic program he can start with?

i think living a very active life can build incredible strength. my little brother who is 5'9 and around 170-180lbs didn't lift a weight his entire life until he was about 17. he benched 225lbs for 3 reps pretty easily. he also closed the #1 the very first time i gave it to him, he in fact repped it. he's very close on closing the #2, but he's not really into it so he doesn't train. but he used to climb trees, go diving for fish, hunt wild pigs with a knife and dogs, play all kinds of sports etc., and he's really fit.

Stick with the basics - Bench-dead-squat-oh press-back....Make sure not to neglect the lats if he is going to bench heavy (or bench at alll for that matter)or he will get rounded shldrs. and make him stretch religiously. MAxing out 1-2x per year shldnt hurt a thing. I started at this age with no instruction and maxed out all the time as did the rest of my football team with no damage done except to a few egos....HAving said that though I would not hit much stuff for under 3-5 reps and work very strongly on proper form.......Brett

Thanks to all so far! I ordered Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, liked what I read in Derek's link. Plus, what climber said in the other 14yo squat thread (TheProphecy):

Lifting is a life long pursuit - what you lift at 14 isn't really important - how you lift at 14 is.

Alex is registering, should be joining us soon. My 16 yo Rob aka gripasaurus has been working a lot, have yet to get him into the gym. I believe the three of us, and maybe even my wife, will benefit from all the responses here.

The people who have success with training find an activity that speaks to them emotionally and generates a social network that promotes results. Figure out how to create that for him, and it won't really matter what exercises he does. The intrinsic motivation that appears will yield results on almost any program.

This is absolutely right.

-Rex

Starting strength is what I started with a while ago and I thought it was fantastic, built for beginners so it should be great for him. And Chris is VERY right in that respect, make 100% positive that his ego doesn't get in the way of form building. I made that mistake early in my training and lately I'm having to re-learn form that should be automatic by this point in my lifting career.

Truthfully, I don't think he should be lifting too serious at this age anyhow.

Stick with pullups,pushups,dips and other body weight movements

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. My name is Alex, Animal cages son. I'm new to the gripboard so i'm trying to get around. Like my dad said I am about 220 pounds, 5'9", and I want to get healthier. I have been going to the gym as much as I can but since it's winter I can't ride my bike. My biggest problem has been trying to change my eating habbits. I'm trying to lose weight but i'm used to eating a lot so it's been hard. Any suggestions on how to eat healthier?

V8 Fusion! Fruit&Vegetable drink :cool

I'm not much on nutrition, or cooking, but I do drink that stuff to get extra fruit and vegetables. Anyway, welcome to the board! Hope to see you at some contests one of these days :mosher

Hey. My name is Alex, Animal cages son. I'm new to the gripboard so i'm trying to get around. Like my dad said I am about 220 pounds, 5'9", and I want to get healthier. I have been going to the gym as much as I can but since it's winter I can't ride my bike. My biggest problem has been trying to change my eating habbits. I'm trying to lose weight but i'm used to eating a lot so it's been hard. Any suggestions on how to eat healthier?

Discipline - Discipline - Discipline! Eating healthy isn't easy and takes a lot of will power - or maybe it's won't power - as in I won't eat that. As far as diets go - something like Weight Watchers might be easier to do while living at home because it's portion control as well as food choices and I don't imagine you are the cook at home or school. Most "diets" work but some require special foods etc. But it's really just a case of eat less and move more. I have helped and am still in the process of helping 4 people lose weight right now - 82# - 65# - 29# and 30# in the last six months. Two are on Weight Watchers - one on The Zone and one is simply pushing himself back from the table sooner. Three more started with me last night. Two of the new ones are on Weight Watchers and the other wants to just do it with exercise (that's going to be hard).

And you don't really need a weight room to get your exercise - you can build quite a physique with bodyweight if you simply work hard at it - it fact at your age it might be the best option anyway. Tips for eating healthy are fairly simple - eat more naturally, avoid things like soda and other high calorie drinks. Stay away from candy, chips,etc etc. If you think about it I'm sure you really know already. Where in doubt - don't eat it. Good Luck to you. Losing weight is not easy but it is possible - and it's really all up to you - others can help but you will be what you decide to be in the end.

Plyometrics, gymnastics, and a combination of the heavy lifts is all you need to get started. Also, when you get better form in your lifting, or want to see videos on form, go to www.crossfit.com

Chris got in first with that "Old Man Wisdom" he weilds like a frikkin lightsabre!

Eating healthey sucks, but eating sensibly will save your life.

Chris got in first with that "Old Man Wisdom" he weilds like a frikkin lightsabre!

Yes, he's the Obi-Wan Kenobi of grip :D

Don't get discouraged - develop better habits in your eating and exercising. Changing the way you eat and move is possible - maybe not easy to do every day but don't beat yourself up when you backslide - just get back on track as quick as possible.

Yes, he's the Obi-Wan Kenobi of grip :D

:laugh:rock

What I started and still stick with is the paleolithic (albeit modified with less meat than the traditional 50/50) "diet", still count your caloric intake, but only eat unprocessed meats, nuts, fruits, vegtables, oatmeal, and drink only milk, water, and tea(not the sugary kind), nothing processed and pretty much bread free (this is not low carb though). Its all the extra sugars and salt that getcha. Stick with this "diet" (its more of a lifestyle) for a couple of weeks and you would be amazed at just how much extra water weight, let alone fat, your body starts to get rid of.

Just remember to allow at least one day a week where you can eat your hamburger or taco bell or chocolate cake (within reasonable caloric intake). This isn't meant to deprive you but reteach how you eat.

Here is a good example of a day's meals-

+Breakfast should be a cup-cup1/2 of oatmeal with raisins or dried cranberries and a cup of lowfat milk with plenty of water. (this should be consistant everyday and don't add any sugar)

-snack on 1 fruit between breakfast and lunch

+lunch should be 2 vegtables, a handful of nuts, a bit of meat and 2 fruit

-snack on 1 vegtable or nuts between breakfast and lunch

+Dinner should be 2-3 servings of vegtables and meat, Alternate between beef (or venison if you have any), lean chicken, and fish (not farmed salmon and halibut).

All of this needs to be washed down with PLENTY of water, but mix it up with a bit tea and lowfat milk

Edited by VahnCruz