Another Bench Pr!

lukeamdman

Earlier this month, I was able to bench 300 for the first time: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=29872

Not sure why, but I had some huge gains this month. Tonight I was able to bench 315!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjg1mGpzq5E

3 plates felt great! I then tried 320:

Finished my day with 275x6, then 185x20 (20th rep was death). Did some flies and called it a night.

What a month!

Awesome job, Luke :rock:rock:rock That's gonna take me a while...

I notice how you changed the camera angle on the second video ;)

by somone that really needs to eat some pies!

Hahaha :laugh

Serously, nice bench :cool

Should've done 330 wuss.

;)

Looked strong! Keep your head on the pad, though. Once again, well done.

That looked really solid. Congratulations, Luke!

Thanks guys!

meelhama, what's the deal with keeping my head on the pad? A buddy of mine recently asked me about this, and I don't know why I do it...

what's the deal with keeping my head on the pad?
1st rule of PowerLifting: LOOK UP!

DL? LOOK UP! Don't look at the bar, crane your head back and try and look at where you want to be after the lift: as high as possible!

Squat? LOOK UP! Don't look down at where you're going, look at where you want to be at the end of the lift, standing erect with your head held high.

Bench? LOOK UP! If you lift your head to look at the bar you're curling your upper body, and what's the opposite of a curl? A PRESS!

Very nice new PR Luke! :rock I'd love to see what your bench training looks like the past 6 months or year. I've started benching again and would like a simple program to follow. Yours seems to be working wonders for you.

very nice! :rock your a monster

As you know, it can become a habit. I've also seen people that will roll back on their head while thrusting their hips up. Here is the problem: extending your head will hamper keeping your shoulder blades tight and retracted while you bench.

Some elite benchers lift their head when they take the bar down and then pound their head into the pad when they push up. I tried this "trick" and pulled a muscle in my neck. To each his own. I think it is better to stay on the pad.