Kaz

Roark

still owe Kaz $15

Thursday, November 21, 2002 10:17 PM

Back in the late 70s when I was a professor at the University of Wisconsin, I owned a gym in Madison, where Kazmaier got his start as a lifter. I bet him $15 that he couldn't pinch grip three 45s. He promptly picked up 3 in EACH hand, and walked across the gym and back, dropped the plates and held out his hand. I still owe him.

The most amazing feat of grip strength I ever witnessed.

[from Dr. Squat's board, by Dr. Squat]

which part of the paragraph IS true?

was he ever a professor at University of Wisconsin in the seventies?

did he really own a gym in Madison?

did he really even know Kaz in those days?

the pinch grip of the three fortyfives per hand?

that he still owes him? :hehe

How does this claim compare to what David Horne and

Richard Sorin and others have done?

Pinching 135 in each hand, performing a farmer's walk

for several feet, with one turn involved. Smooth sides

out.

The width of three 45s in those days would have been

how many inches? If old type York plates were used,

or newer width, narrower plates, what would be the

width difference?

David Horne, remind me what your best ever one hand

pinch lift is, on what width, and how long held? Richard

Sorin, the same info please?

Joe, don't forget the difficulty factor of no bar through the center.  Based on Dr. Squat's description, it sounds like he...ahem....did this without a rod through the center of the plates.  I agree with one thing, that would be one of the most impressive grip displays ever.

Got some info from David Horne this morning. You know, David

who happens to have some of the stronger hands on this

planet?

His best pinch grip lift is 67.5 kgs on a 2" width.

In July this year he piched three 45 lb Weider discs together and passed them from hand to hand for ten reps,

In answer to my question if he is able to pinch three 45s in each hand smooth side out and perform a farmer's walk, he

replied, 'absolutely not'.

I asked an older guy at the gym about the possible credibility of this story and about Dr.Squat.

He grinned and said"He is a raconteur-story teller and entertainer extraordinaire........what kind of a doctor did he say he was?"He refused to elaborate.But added "you met Kaz in St.Louis..Do you think he could do it?Do you think any of the guys we met in St.Louis could do it?..and Your next question would be...?"

(as a total geek kid i had met everyone form John Brookfield to Jeff Maddy to Magnus Ver Mag-Ahola-Pfister-Neese-Big Tony-the Omega Power team-Makidisi etc.etc.)

I pester this guy all the time-contantly picking his brain- but bringing up this was one of the things that made him laugh the most

:hehe  :D

In July this year he piched three 45 lb Weider discs together and passed them from hand to hand for ten reps,

David Horne is the best grip athlete. That is one mega pinch feat.

Got some info from David Horne this morning. You know, David

who happens to have some of the stronger hands on this

planet?

His best pinch grip lift is 67.5 kgs on a 2" width.

In answer to my question if he is able to pinch three 45s in each hand smooth side out and perform a farmer's walk, he

replied, 'absolutely not'.

Isn't anyone going to question this one? I guess I will be the bad guy again. 135lbs - ONE HAND - 3 45's together smooth side out and passed TEN TIMES back and forth between hands!?

:0

Some one can lift a 172lb dumbbell?  

With a non-revolving TWO-Point-FIVE INCH handle???  

Simply Impossible...

Guest Mikael Siversson

Yes, there is something odd about this. A farmers walk with three 45lbs plates would be far easier than passing the same three plates back and fourth. Roark, are you sure David ment that he did the feat with TRE plates?

Wannagrip,

I did not ask for a clarification from David, that may turn out

to be crucial:

He did not indicate whether he 'passed' the plates laterally

from hand to hand, or whether he had both hands on the

plates to start and then alternated grips. The latter is a

whole different ballgame from the former.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to reach him for clarification.

Joe

Hello bad guy, and all,

I've come down from the bath to see Joe 'msn' me about what we chatted about today. I WISH it was 3 x 20k discs, but in reality it was 3 x 10k discs as I told Joe. Never mind Joe, confusion reigns even in a conversation. But the date was right being the 19th of July.

David

I apologize for all the confusion; thanks Wannagrip for the

challenge; thanks David for the correction.

Can't explain it except to say I screwed up.  :(

Joe,

You are forgiven. Increasing your complex carbs and adding some fish oil to your diet will help increase brain power! Just kidding!) You do a great job and we all appreciate your efforts.

Bad guy here. :)

Joe, chatting with fitness babes in a separate chat room at the same time is forgivable given your record for facts. :)

If it would have been two 45's I would not have been the bad guy again and said nothing. But, 3 would be super human!

Did anyone note some of the responses?  Guys, let's use common sense. I am sure David doesn't mind being questioned and providing the proof when necessary.

If someone could do to 35's it would be David Horne or Richard Sorin.These people are on a different planet when it comes to pinch strength.

I agree with those two, and will throw Scott Clayton in the mix on that one as well.

I'm pretty positive that I would be unable to pinch 3 x 15k discs, especially the Weider ones I have as the width would be far too much. It's also quite a jump to go from 3 x 10k's to 3 x 15k's, so some kind of loading system (wether it was a rod or chain) would have to be used.

David

Ray,

Never say never!

But right now I'm on a strength building program with very little grip work in it. After this I will be training for the Swedish grip contest, which will be followed by our grip champs in the summer. I will make a decision after these grip contests to wether I will make a concerted effort at the armwrestling again.

David