Good Weight's For Beginner's

justiceislost1988

What are good numbers to look for in the chubby 270 pound range, for the 3 big lifts? Keep in mind, for the first time doing any weight lifting. :blush

Id Say

Bech 185-205

Squat 285-315

Dead- 365

These would be good lifts for a beginner, but if you're pretty chubby your leverages may hinder your deadlift.

When I started lifting with a skeletal frame at age thirteen I knew my lifts were weak and would stay that way for a while. I chose to focus on the personal improvement aspect of it and was thrilled to increase by five pounds or eek out one more rep on my squat every workout. That's how I defined "good" and it kept me motivated.

Id Say

Bench 185-205

Squat 285-315

Dead- 365

Agreed. Though I think you'd be able to pull more than that off. And like Eric said, I always try to add at least 5lb to each compound lift every week.

Edited by Magnus

I think my lifts as a freshman in HS @ 190# would be good for a full grown beginner @ 270

Bench 305

Squat 405

Didnt do DL but Cleaned 245

- Aaron

If you're just starting - truly starting with no lifting background, then there's no intelligent reason to even attempt a max for the next 3-6 months. You should be doing 3-5 sets of 135 lb x 10 reps on squats, bench, DL (with appropriate assistance lifts) for the first month, then gradually increase the weight, say 10lbs per week until you struggle to maintain good form for the whole set. Your big focus here should me form & training your body to get the feel of the lifts. Once you get to 225 or so for 5 sets of 8, then you can begin to work down to 5 x 5 workouts, then 5 x 3. for say 1 month each, then try a max on each lift. Trying to max before you've built a good solid base means probable injury & down time, or quitting altogether.

I deadlifted 300 x 4 first day I got my weight set, I would have went heavier if I had the weight. I wanted to know how that was. I have NEVER touched a weight in any serious matter. The only time I have has been for heavy one arm curls, and I benched 165 in sixth grade. This was the first time with the DL. I think for me to get down to a pretty lean weight 210 would be pretty comfortable. I'm pretty fat :blush. I haven't had the chance to try squat or bench. I have a very good feeling about squatting though. I think I'll hit 300. Benching I'm not sure. I've tried to bench twice. In sixth grade and once since. The last time I hit 180 and I was 15. Hopefully that is a little more by now. I think if I did my 1RM on every lift I could push myself to an 850+ total. All of this is 100% raw of course. :unsure

John, I figured it was pretty dumb to mess with any max lifts. I couldn't contain myself though. First weight set, right infront of me, gripboard guys, huge numbers on youtube videos, curiosity, etc. I think I will back off heavy weight for a while, even though it felt okay. :erm

I think as long as there's testosterone, guys will max right away. Just be careful! If you injure something & lose a bunch of time, it'll just make you nervous about starting up the next time.

Just old man experience trying to warn off you young guys.... :D

What are good numbers to look for in the chubby 270 pound range, for the 3 big lifts? Keep in mind, for the first time doing any weight lifting. :blush

because you are heavy and 18 you have an advantage to excell fast and recoupe fast i was always heavy and still on the heavy side now but thats why i started lifting john is right forget the max weights for a while you will know when you are ready i started slow at age 14 with 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps of each bodypart 2 days on one day off sunday was a special workout day then when i got stronger i switched to 5 sets of 5 reps coming down to singles and mixing them up with a fast pace workout for endurance your 300lb deadlift is a real good start you should post a pic of your self and do an online progress blog to keep track and the guys on here can help you along good luck and stick with it no matter what you do if you lift weights on a regular scedual you will get strong

Thanks, Dan. I have a lot of manual labor under my belt, that might have helped a little bit. I've always been pretty naturally strong to an extent. I might throw a picture up at some point. I recently Suit Case Deadlifted 195. If I had the weight I think I could get 370ish. :rolleyes

Good first pull, Case. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I believe my first pull was in the low-200s :blush

Thanks, Frank. How long did it take you to get to the 400?

Not too long, actually. Just a few months, but since your already repping 300, it'll probably be even less for you. I found that I made progress on deads faster than any other exercise. For me, I make the best progress when pulling multiple sets of increasingly heavy singles; warm-up w/ a few sets of multiple reps w/ 100 to mid-200s, then 280 x 1, 300x 1, 324 x 1, etc, up to my max. Also, I tried this and it works really good (for me, anyway). It's based on the % of your current 1rm:

* Week one: 70% - 15 sets of 1 - rest one minute between sets

* Week two: 75% - 12 sets of 1 - rest one minute between sets

* Week three: 80% - 10 sets of 1 - rest 90 seconds between sets

* Week four: 85% - 6 sets of 1 - rest 90 seconds between sets

* Week five: 90% - 3 sets of 1 - rest two minutes between sets

* Week six: Rest (no deadlifting)

* Week seven: try for a new max deadlift. Rest as long as you need in between sets (i.e. 3+ minutes)

Edited by Magnus

I actually read that program. It sounds pretty good. I've been told by a few to do a 5x5 program. I might give that a shot at some point. I think 400 could be within 1.5 - 3 months if I had the weight.

On another note, what do you guys think a couple of good deadlift goals would be this up coming year. I think 500 is possible. I've got 50 goals almost that WILL be met or exceeded. Do you guys think 500 can be done first year deadlifting, with no prior experience? :unsure

500lbs can be done first time EVER deadlifting, if you believe the stories.

Give it some time, and see. In the first year you should only have one goal - just have as much fun as you can.