Who do you think was the strongest?

OldGuy

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think was the strongest?

• Louis Cyr
    • Apollon (Louis Uni)
    • Herman Goerner
    • Arthur Saxon
    • George Hackenschmidt
    • Thomas Topham
    • Paul Anderson
    • Doug Hepburn
    • Marvin Eder
    • Karl Swobada

Chris,

Gary Taylor was an awesome athlete (and gave hope to the shorter Strongmen!! ) but, as I'm sure you're aware, his 1984 Silver medal in the snatch is not as good as it looks, due to the Eastern Bloc boycott of that year. In strictly Oly lifting terms he wasn't that good, at least at that stage in his career. Still, as been said many times, you can only compete against those who are there. I think it would have been interesting to know what he could have done in the Oly lifts with the extra strength he gained as a strongman - unless it was injury that turned him to strongman. It certainly was an impresive sight watching him destroy the competition in the 1995 WSM "Jerk" event.

As for the bodybuilding, he was always one of the most muscular strongmen. And I think I'm right in saying that the only reason he didn't win the 1988 EFBB Heavyweight title (the British pro-qualifier) was a certain Dorian Yates.....