What Advantages Of > 90# Kettlebell

jomcgui

I've been thinking of getting some more kettlebells for christmas. Most likely a pair of 88/90# KBs. But also thought maybe one 88 pounder and a 106pounder. Pretty much convinced that a pair of 88s would be more useful. For heavy swings i have a pair of 70s. Single arm presses I can do with an olympic bar. I guess single arm snatch would be an advantage of the 106# kb but only outside on grass since I workout inside my kitchen during the winter. Also plan on doing double kb snatches cleans jerks so a pair of 88s would work better for that obviously. Anyone else face the same question. Any reason option 2 would be better than #1?

I've been thinking of getting some more kettlebells for christmas. Most likely a pair of 88/90# KBs. But also thought maybe one 88 pounder and a 106pounder. Pretty much convinced that a pair of 88s would be more useful. For heavy swings i have a pair of 70s. Single arm presses I can do with an olympic bar. I guess single arm snatch would be an advantage of the 106# kb but only outside on grass since I workout inside my kitchen during the winter. Also plan on doing double kb snatches cleans jerks so a pair of 88s would work better for that obviously. Anyone else face the same question. Any reason option 2 would be better than #1?

Not to insult you, but do you know what your doing with those? If you do, then you know the obvious answer here: double bells means more work-better gains. Depending on what school of training you subscribe to-double C+J with 40kg maybe a bit much--how many minutes and how many reps are you hitting with your 32? Snatching the big bells means a lot of attention to detail, its a lot of iron to have whipping around on the elbow and shoulder for something to go wrong. Personally i think a set of 40kg's will go much farther than the 48's unless you are an absolute beast. Even then-a light KB has a million and one uses. I have about 50 KBs total ranging from 9lbs to 124lbs, and i still use even the 26lbs baby bells for rehab work and light warm up/mobility stuff. Its never too light. A bell that is too heavy becomes a cumbersome door stop for many. just my 2 cents...

i agree with ss.. i work with the 40k bells and it took awhile to get there and it's not easy. if you feel rock solid with the 32k bells and are wanting to move up go for it. Again with bells, form follows function. It won't take long to adapt to them quickly. i would have an assortment like ss or atleast find a place that has one to try out and give a run to see if it's doable. You know your capabilities better than us.. have at it brutha!

The pair of 88s to me seem the best choice. Price wise they fit the bill. And for the most part seem to make the most sense training wise. I'd like to keep my kb collection nice and simple. K.I.S.S. system. If i could not buy the 88s I could make due with my 70s and 53s. Right now I can do double sots with dble 70s for reps of 5, sets of 10 double military and double snatch in sets of 10 with the 70s. The 88s will offer a little more dynamic in my workout variety. Just figured I throw out a feeler about getting one 88 and one 106 as another option just in case I was missing something.

The pair of 88s to me seem the best choice. Price wise they fit the bill. And for the most part seem to make the most sense training wise. I'd like to keep my kb collection nice and simple. K.I.S.S. system. If i could not buy the 88s I could make due with my 70s and 53s. Right now I can do double sots with dble 70s for reps of 5, sets of 10 double military and double snatch in sets of 10 with the 70s. The 88s will offer a little more dynamic in my workout variety. Just figured I throw out a feeler about getting one 88 and one 106 as another option just in case I was missing something.

You must be a pretty big dude for those numbers, do you PL or compete in Strongman events/high land games or something? I will throw out too-with KBs it is best to keep moving to more challenging lift then to keep piling on the weights. Let me know if you need some help with your program design...

I just stumbled across KBs about 4 years ago, found that they are a good fit with my lifestyle. Did do some deadlifting for a while but with KBs I can have less plates sitting around. Went to a rKC cert in 2004, fine tuned on the KBs and got hookedon the bending and grip work outs. Basically I did enough competition in college and hs with wrestling and football. i figure the KBs and gripwork will help me maintain a healthy life while pursuing other things in life.

Go with the 88s. You'll get more mileage out of them. You can always put 2 - 24kg bells in one hand for heavier swings and single arm presses/jerks, works the grip well too.

Just got 2 ader 90# bells. Look to be good quality. The UPS guys had fun delivering them. Wish i had seen it. My cousin said it took 2 of them. Did a clean and press to break them in only one bell though. Have to wait til next week to give them a proper workout. too wiped out from shoveling out from last nights snowstorm.