Strongman And Dl Training

The Natural

Took a nice 3 week break from squats and deadlifts after the Nov. 15th meet. Worked out today with a good friend in Alabama. Had a great training day to kick things off.

Power Cleans

Warm ups

285 pounds, 10 pound PR

Deadlifts

Warm ups

585x5, easy set. (Never have done that weight for 5 before).

Squats

Warm ups

405 x 14. 2 rep PR.

When I can do 405 for 20, I'll videotape it. Other than Marunde and the Ken H.I.T. guy, anyone else done a 20 rep squat set with 405?

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Took a nice 3 week break from squats and deadlifts after the Nov. 15th meet. Worked out today with a good friend in Alabama. Had a great training day to kick things off.

Power Cleans

Warm ups

285 pounds, 10 pound PR

Deadlifts

Warm ups

585x5, easy set. (Never have done that weight for 5 before).

Squats

Warm ups

405 x 14. 2 rep PR.

When I can do 405 for 20, I'll videotape it. Other than Marunde and the Ken H.I.T. guy, anyone else done a 20 rep squat set with 405?

-Rex

There is at least 1 other vid on YouTube of a guy doing it, probably more. I know there are a half dozen elite powerlifters who have done it, Thompson, Mikesell, etc. I know that Kurt Angle has done well over 20 reps with 405. Tom Platz did 484 for 23 and semi-regularly did 10 MINUTE sets with 225 with personal bests of 405x25 or so and 500 for nearly 20 reps(somewhere around 15-18). I'm pretty sure that "Sarge", Jesse's over-40 training partner could've done it since he worked with widowmaker sets religously for years and did 218x98 at one time. It's certainly not an easy thing to do or you'd see every Tom, Dick and Harry on YouTube posting vids of it. GOOD LUCK!

Comp Line-up So Far...

Santa Claws Showdown, Dec. 22nd

Metroflex Mayhem, Jan. 26th

ACGS II, Feb. 21st

NAS Texas Strongman Classic, Feb. 25th

-Rex

I know The Natural likes responses from strong fellas more than noob's responses... BUT, I just want to add something to Malachi's post: Platz did 484x23 and is on Youtube (I actually thought it was 500#, but whatever)... how come you then state his Personal Best with 405 was 25 ??? Just two more reps, while using 80 pounds less? Seems kinda odd.

Nice squatting Rex.

Good workout Rex.

Dale Norris (wales strongest man) did 220kg(484lbs)x17 no wraps no belt he never did get the 20 reps but he said that for him 180kgx20 was 'a joke'. He tore his quad off the bone just under 2 years ago trying to squat 360kg (800lbs) without a belt or wraps - he has made a good recovery though and is squatting decent weight again.

I know The Natural likes responses from strong fellas more than noob's responses... BUT, I just want to add something to Malachi's post: Platz did 484x23 and is on Youtube (I actually thought it was 500#, but whatever)... how come you then state his Personal Best with 405 was 25 ??? Just two more reps, while using 80 pounds less? Seems kinda odd.

Nice squatting Rex.

I've heard from places that I remember being reliable, that his famous "500x23" vid was actually 220kgx23. Come to think of it, it may have been David Draper's site but don't quote me on that. I could be wrong. That 405x25 was in training, I don't remember the exact number of the # of reps but 25 is close, that 484 was done in an exhibition in front of hundreds of people with Bill Kazmaier and the Barbarian bros spotting... I'd crank out something amazing also :laugh

That 405x25 was in training, I don't remember the exact number of the # of reps but 25 is close, that 484 was done in an exhibition in front of hundreds of people with Bill Kazmaier and the Barbarian bros spotting

And Fred Hatfield.

Rex, how proficient are you in the olympic movements?

That 405x25 was in training, I don't remember the exact number of the # of reps but 25 is close, that 484 was done in an exhibition in front of hundreds of people with Bill Kazmaier and the Barbarian bros spotting

And Fred Hatfield.

I've never done a snatch, whether with barbells or dumbbells, and my clean and jerk technique is very bad.

I could probably C&J three plates right now if I just had some good instruction from a coach. When I went for a 300 pound power clean, the bar height was very good. I just failed when it came time to reverse-curl it.

-Rex

And Fred Hatfield.

I've never done a snatch, whether with barbells or dumbbells, and my clean and jerk technique is very bad.

I could probably C&J three plates right now if I just had some good instruction from a coach. When I went for a 300 pound power clean, the bar height was very good. I just failed when it came time to reverse-curl it.

-Rex

Uh - if your clean has anything in it that looks like a reverse curl - you may need a little help :blush Rex - find a good Olympic coach and learn the basics (you don't need to be perfect at it) - it seems like the Strongmen that have some basic Olympic lifting skills do pretty well.

And Fred Hatfield.

-Rex

Uh - if your clean has anything in it that looks like a reverse curl - you may need a little help :blush Rex - find a good Olympic coach and learn the basics (you don't need to be perfect at it) - it seems like the Strongmen that have some basic Olympic lifting skills do pretty well.

I agree. Rex I could have straightened out your C&J techniques if you had ever asked. I pulled 335 when I was younger than Derek.

- Aaron

Lifted the Inch. PR.

250 pounds, 2" V-bar. PR.

3 25's, LH. PR.

RT, 206 pounds. PR.

sounds like a a good day's work! :)

welldone with the inch Rex.

Well, about a week ago, I did the 110 pound dumbbells for a single work set of 9 (on flat bench). Last night I did them for a single work set of 13. Just shows how much more effective weight training is when you haven't been doing it in a while. Nice to be getting my strength back.

I've noticed that my biceps are very weak. I never worked them, as they are useless for deadlifting. But now that I'm doing strongman, weak biceps are not only unacceptable, they put one at risk of injury. So I'm going to start adding curls (!) to my workouts. One hard set of thick-bar curls followed by one hard set of dumbbell hammer curls.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Well, about a week ago, I did the 110 pound dumbbells for a single work set of 9 (on flat bench). Last night I did them for a single work set of 13. Just shows how much more effective weight training is when you haven't been doing it in a while. Nice to be getting my strength back.

I've noticed that my biceps are very weak. I never worked them, as they are useless for deadlifting. But now that I'm doing strongman, weak biceps are not only unacceptable, they put one at risk of injury. So I'm going to start adding curls (!) to my workouts. One hard set of thick-bar curls followed by one hard set of dumbbell hammer curls.

-Rex

Work your way up to a full chin up if you cannot do one already. Curls are useless man, just row, pull and chin.

Work your way up to a full chin up if you cannot do one already. Curls are useless man, just row, pull and chin.

Yes I agree I could care less about having pretty looking arms. But for doing strongman events like stones and some of the carries and throws you better do some bicep stuff or you'll end up with a big ball at the top of your arm that doesn't belong there.

Edited by stew2

Yes I agree I could care less about having pretty looking arms. But for doing strongman events like stones and some of the carries and throws you better do some bicep stuff or you'll end up with a big ball at the top of your arm that doesn't belong there.

This is my concern exactly. The bicep training is about injury prevention, not looks.

haha rex in strongman..i can't wait to see how you fair buddy. You're a big dude and strong as piss!

Thanks, Ryan. You're a strong dude yourself and I look forward to training with you in Texas. It seems that you, me, and Eric are all trying for a 700 pound DL. It will be fun getting there together.

-Rex

Squats

405 x 12. I realized I had more in me, after reviewing the video. Will go for 15 at Sorinex.

Bent over rows.

Two sets of 12, with 195.

-Rex

Curious, how heavy do you normally go with your rows? Or how heavy CAN you go?

I've never really worked rows. Never been much of an assistance exercise guy. I started them two months ago or so. I enjoy doing them. Not consistent with them, though. I just treated them as a DL substitute this week, since I plan to have a really intense DL session at Sorinex.

195 felt like a good weight for that rep range. I was pretty strict with them. That's the heaviest I've ever gone, actually, for bent-over barbell rows. I might be able to go up to 215 without sacrificing form (for the same rep range). Would need to be more fired up than I was tonight (was training alone).

I have the feeling that my row numbers are much lower than those of others, even those who DL less than I do.

I see it as an opportunity to improve my row numbers and get them to respectable ranges.

-Rex

I've never really worked rows. Never been much of an assistance exercise guy. I started them two months ago or so. I enjoy doing them. Not consistent with them, though. I just treated them as a DL substitute this week, since I plan to have a really intense DL session at Sorinex.

195 felt like a good weight for that rep range. I was pretty strict with them. That's the heaviest I've ever gone, actually, for bent-over barbell rows. I might be able to go up to 215 without sacrificing form (for the same rep range). Would need to be more fired up than I was tonight (was training alone).

I have the feeling that my row numbers are much lower than those of others, even those who DL less than I do.

I see it as an opportunity to improve my row numbers and get them to respectable ranges.

-Rex

Jesus Rex, I can get 210 for a few ugly reps and my dead is a solid 220 or so under yours!!! GET TO WORK!

Also, I find that with BB rows, strict form is not imperitive. If you are using them as a DL assistance exercise, then go ahead and put your back into the movement a bit. Just don't turn it into a wierd form of the hang clean or something like that. Ronnie's form at 1:30 in this vid is basically my own(whenever I do them anyway :blush ).

Keeping this log is already starting to be a chore, but we'll see how it goes....

Blob holds

Closed the #3 a few times

RT work

Ring and pinky work

Contrast baths for hands

-Rex