Thomas inch in action

Guest NathanHolle

Guest NathanHolle

After recieving some information in the post a few days ago, including a letter detailing a film,  we found this on the internet that members may find very interesting.

Video footage of Thomas Inch lifting his challange dummbell.  The clip is about 2.5 min long and great quality, with sound and commentry from Inch himself.

It is called "Inch by Inch" on Pathe news web site

Absolutly Amazing

Nathan

Guest NathanHolle

Roark,

First Thomas Inch lists famous strongmen who have failed including Saxon + Padoubny. Two men attempt it first,  then another tests it with a hammer,  then Inch cleans and bent presses it,  then bends down and picks up anther dumbbell with his left hand for a total of 276lbs!

It is a much larger bell than the one pictured as the original.

Nathan

I watched the clip. That is not the dumbbell that Dave Prowse sold to Kim Wood. There is no way of knowing how much it weighed, or the weight of the smaller bell that he also lifted. The clip of him lifting the two women overhead and then while supporting them with one arm he picks up a kettlebell, is more impressive.

Oh my. Anyone have a 3 dollar bill?  Remember, we've seen Mark Henry a MONSTER lift the inch replica. The dumbbell in this video looks HUGE. The way he lifts it (easier than Henry did by far!), given his age and physique (looks like an out of shape old man to me) my take is INCH was a PHONEY!

Ahh, I see OldGuy agrees on the dumbbell. It is NOT the same as my Inch Replica.

It's bigger.  

How much it weighs..who knows.

Let's make it easy for everyone to see..let me try here:

Click here

CLICK ON THIS LINK and you will download the file or play it.  At least it worked for me.

Here is a link to Pathe News

http://www.britishpathe.com/index.cfm

The clip or the woman known as "resista" is clearly fakery, as she claimed to vary her bodyweight from 98 to 560 pounds by mind power. This prevented Inch from lifting her off of her feet. The dumbbell looked like one of those huge old hollow shot loaded globe dumbbells.

Watched it again. What a joke. He hardly strains if at all.

Roark, this video clip backs up your data.

I agree w/wannagrip on this one...That video has "fake" written all over it.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that lift and clean looks too easy.  The first guy who attempted to lift the bell didnt even try (or it appeared that way).  C'mon, that guy isnt even close to the strength of Mark Henry and he (Henry) at least put some effort into his lift of the bell.

Morgan

Maybe Mark (and others) could toss that bell up in the air and let it hit Inch on the noggin - my guess it would simply bounce off.

He looks to be fat and out of shape, with little muscle.

Boy I really needed a good laugh, that delivered.  Mark Henry at close to 400 pounds was almost flipped backward with the momentum from cleaning the Inch Replica.  Inch didn't appear to budge, not really defying the law of physics.....just reacting correctly to a much lighter implement.  Where's that footage of David Copperfield making the Great Wall of China disappear?  That was much more believable.  

The least he could have done was eat a can of spinach before lifting it, or maybe poke the other guys in the eyes whilst doing his best Curly impression.  Seriously, Iron Game deception really pisses me off.

Guest NathanHolle

Whatever is going on it is a very interesting clip. That dumbbell is so huge, if solid it would way at least 300lbs by itself.

There are many other good clips on that site,  including some great boxing!!

Nathan

First, let me get this out of my system:

I TOLD YOU SO!

Sorry. If the film clip was 1939, and the lift total

was 276? then Inch had been credited with that

much using two dumbells a decade earlier. In Jan 1939,

Inch would have been age 57.

The key, and watch carefully, is when he cleans the

larger bell and pauses at the right shoulder with his

palm IN THE HAMMER CURL POSITION and then finishes

the clean.

For the record, of course, this was not any of the

four Inch bells, all of which were solid and nutless.

Inch said that in 1931 when he lifted the Inch bell for

Pathe Frere he lifted it one rep and the camera operator

missed the shot, and it took Inch HOURS of rest and

massage before he could lift it a second rep (none of

which I believe). So now, 8 years later (he retired the 172

after the 1931 filming) he comes back and CASUALLY

cleans 48 pounds more? I'm lovin' this.

Anyway, in his 276 lbs lift mentioned above he used 220 plus 56.

Those months studying everything I could about Inch have

been rewarded. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Those months studying everything I could about Inch have

been rewarded. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Congrats Joe.

Inch is a farce.

Man I would love to have been there 'Mr Inch, I challenge you'. Then I march on stage - camera zooms in. I pull dumbbell clear of floor. 'Well its heavy but it ain't that heavy - whats the matter with you lot. Honestly!'. Then I go and sit down again.

It's as Roark says - Its miles bigger and there are nuts on the end of the bell ergo - its not the Challenge bell. Naughty boy Mr Inch.

Very....INTERESTING clip. I wonder how much other historical lifting footage there is hidden away in the many "News Reel" type archives that there are? If anyone has a slow afternoon or ten....