Which Feat Is Harder: Closing #4 Coc Or Hanging 2' Rope 1 Arme?

fightertrainer

Closing #4 is super hard but few had done it. But hanging 1 arm with TOTAL weight of 300lbs plus on 2" rope I never heard off a second case other than Matt Batchelor's. That equals hanging on a 2" rope with 600lbs total 2 arms. Assuming rope is straight down, not horizontal. Tell me which is harder. I have the feeling that grip guys will say #4 coc, but IMO I say it 300lbs on the rope 1 arm. Let be fair a bit: hang on a rope must be at least 3-5 seconds duration to count.

Closing #4 is harder I think. You should have made a poll. Maybe ask this is another section of the board as well as this is realted to grip more than armwrestling.

Did Mac actually hold himself up on the rope with 1 hand with his elbow bent so his body is up by his hand, or was his arm straight so that his hand was above his head? Anybody know? I hope this question makes sense.

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/blog/label...0Strongman.html

How about Batta, lifting four 44-pound blockweights overhead -- each tied to a finger of one hand?

Who believes that Mac Bachelor, at 330 lbs., could run 100 meters in 11 seconds? FOund that on the same site.

This guy definitely doesn't weigh close to 300 lbs but this is still incredible:

He is not just holding but actually climbing the rope!

Like someone stated in that other thread, I am positive that quite a few people can pull this off. Who? Well, lets think about it for a second. Wouldn't the 2" rope offer a better grip surface than the 2" smooth V-Bar? .. And the fact that you just have to hang, and not pick it up, would make it easier too, right? ... So, adding those two factors together, I would say that those pulling 250+ on the 2" V-bar can do this (just a wild guess). Some have gotten almost 300" on the V-bar, so I am willing to bet they can do it for sure!

What Arturo said...

What Arturo said...

Look like you come close to doing this. I would appreciate if you try this with 2" rope and holding some weight to add up it to 300lbs plus. But I beg to differ about V- bar and the rope friction. Maybe my hand usually dry, I find the barbell collar offer more friction with its smooth surface then rope. When I grip it and slide my hand I can feel the stickiness more on the bar. NASCAR use smooth tires when weather is dry too, it's = maximum friction. I said on other thread w/o training I 've lifted almost 280 lbs with the barbell collar (the end of the barbell) and i wasn't max out yet. And I did this yet Gary Ray home in Houston 5 years ago. I believe partly because the friction stickiness helped. BUt I don't think I can hang the rope with 150 dumbell on the free hand to make it to 300lbs, heck no! not even 100 lbs dumbell. But I will attemp this. We have rope in our gym. YOu can also try it with 2 hands on the rope and ask a bigger man to hang on your waist line. Say: 200lbs person plus 400 lbs man hold on to his body = 600 lbs total...Ahem ..NO WAY Jose.

are you saying "no way" about the feat that Mac is claiming ? Sorry, for me the rope is more friction.I do believe that I was in that range when I jumped 1 handed from the rope swing. Heck if you bounce a very little on a scale you can get it to bury the needle.

This feat is NOT that hard. It will be hard for most, but so is the #3.

I've broke 300 off the ground on more than one occasion on the 2" vbar. seems like the rope would have more friction than the vbar to me. If I had access to a 2" rope I would be happy to try this. I'm fairly close on the #4 as well MMS anyway. to me it seems that the #4 would be harder.

- Aaron

Here's a nearly 300-pound guy doing a rope climb with two thick ropes:

Another suck event for me, but pretty good for my 289lb fat ass.

I would bet that he could hang from a 2" rope with one arm.

I would say that closing the #4 would be FAR tougher.

Seems like Rob is doing a lot of talking without evidence that he can do it.

Do it, then talk about how easy it is.

Josh, AAA official magazine (ArmBender) for their association has the FIRST World Championship

on Sept. 12 1976. That's where the h_ _ _ I get it. Vol. 1 No. 1

You're talking about WPAA. Different association my friend.

I'm now waiting on proof of Rob's claims: :D

1) 300 lb. hang from 2" rope.

2) 90 lb. STRICT Zottman curl.

How would you guys rate (two hand) chins from 2" ropes for AW training?

I'm fairly good at weighted chins but never tried them from ropes.

Here's a nearly 300-pound guy doing a rope climb with two thick ropes:

Another suck event for me, but pretty good for my 289lb fat ass.

I would bet that he could hang from a 2" rope with one arm.

I would say that closing the #4 would be FAR tougher.

Thanks for the find G-man. That is very impressive for a big guy like that. But I would love to see him holding a dumbell in excess of 11 lbs and hang for better than 3 seconds one armed ( assume it's the timne it take to close a #4 and hold it for a second. Yes, there's moment while he climb rope he was using one arm to support his bw, but it last for 1/3 of a second or so but rather stil very good.

Monkeypaw you weigh about 220#? I like to see you hold a 80# dumbell and do it. I would be super impressed no matter what. I am sure out of many of us here, you have the best chance. But you must do it and prove it. Please don't tell me about the summer fun on the rope in the past, now is now (I don't doubt that you did it and I am your admirer any way) Yes, of course I am skeptical of claims in the past, any claim. Like Thomas Inch's feats....

Back up a bit! how many human offically close #4 ?

Now, how many any of us see a 300 + pounder hang on a 2" rope one arm? NOT 289# (close but no cigar)

Compare it and tell which one harder? Any body? show me the number people who do it and I will believe you

Now about rope friction vs bar friction. True, rope offers more friction because it's rough. But rope also gives (squish in) in under high pressure. Higher the pressure more it'll give in. That's why rope is harder to maintain a grip. You may start out with better friction but soon you will have to grip harder. There something about hanging that make it harder than pullins same weight off the floor. There're guy who can t-bar row (remember that?) in excess of his bw weight, but the same guy couldn't chin his bw more than his row reps. Heck! even pull down weight stack of your own bw is easier than chin up with your bw.

One thing about body/limb positioning that few people realize. That is... say: if you cable-curl horizontally 80 lbs for 10 reps (arm horizontal). Now sit low on the ground and adjust the pulley high above your head almost straight up on top of your head. With your elbow point to the ceiling and try to cable curl the same weight (arm is now almost vertical to start) you will find it's much harder this way. Even the weight is the same but I doubt you can do the same rep number. That is why hanging is difficult for most folks

Edited by fightertrainer

I'm nothing special, but I can support my 320+ frame by hangign 1-handed off a 2" vertical rope.

Twig, love to see your proof my man. I'd be your biggest fan. For fun: I asked Hub a local mma fighter who just became a local champ. Hub is 309. Today I asked him this same question and his reply was "no way Calvin" Not that he is a grip speciallst. BUt his hand is strong enough to break people ankle.

Edited by fightertrainer

Seems like Rob is doing a lot of talking without evidence that he can do it.

Do it, then talk about how easy it is.

Josh, AAA official magazine (ArmBender) for their association has the FIRST World Championship

on Sept. 12 1976. That's where the h_ _ _ I get it. Vol. 1 No. 1

You're talking about WPAA. Different association my friend.

I'm now waiting on proof of Rob's claims: :D

1) 300 lb. hang from 2" rope.

2) 90 lb. STRICT Zottman curl.

Joe, it doesn't matter what orginization held them, the fact is the first organized competitions were in 1952. It doesn't matter what orginization it was, there were organized tournaments in 1952. You said "Mac didn't compete in organized tournaments. There wasn't any." not "mac didn't compete in any AAA tournaments because there weren't any." I wasn't aware that an organized armwrestling tournament had to be AAA to be considered an organized tournament. And no, I didn't with my own eyes see the 1952 tournament, but I did see with my own eyes the 1969 tournament on ArmTv as well as John Woolsey wearing his 1972 world championships t-shirt at ROTN and him telling me it was his first world title.

Josh,

You can be undefeated at something without belonging to

an association or even if no official association exists. In Mac's case, none existed. He pulled mostly

in bars and saloons. Mac had hundreds if not thousands of

challengers in 25 years and never lost. Why do you and others find it hard to believe

this considering the time frame? Do you find it hard to believe just because

it would be very unlikely for a competitve arm wrestler TODAY to go undefeated

for 25 years? This is what I'm saying. You're looking at things from 21 century

perspective. Big difference if you ask me.

To top things off, Rob ask me if I seen any of Mac's feats and then in one

of his posts he claims that Samson ( the biblical character) was the strongest of them all.

What a double standard! I guess Rob was there, uh? I'd further like for Rob to prove that

Samson ever even existed, much less did anything.

To even be more ridiculous, if we go by "The Mac's" post , not one single

claim of an oldtime strongman can ever be proven. He also is blinded with 21 century

perspectives, ignoring the time frame under consideration.

No hard feelings Josh, but it's the epitome of disrespect to the oldtimers to discredit

their feats just because we don't have a video of the feat or we didn't witness the feat

or just because someone's hero today can't do something.

Stay Strong!!!

Mighty Joe

Joe, do you have ArmTv? Watch the Richard Lupkes video from the 80's. The commentator says Lupkes is undefeated, which is funny since I seem to remember both Gary Goodridge and John Brzenk defeating him, and there may have been others. A 325 lbs. strongman being supposedly undefeated in bars really isn't that impressive. Probably all his challengers were smaller than he was and there were no actual armwrestlers back then. It's not disrespect, it's the truth. His grip feats are far more respectable than his armwrestling feats.

Like someone stated in that other thread, I am positive that quite a few people can pull this off. Who? Well, lets think about it for a second. Wouldn't the 2" rope offer a better grip surface than the 2" smooth V-Bar? .. And the fact that you just have to hang, and not pick it up, would make it easier too, right? ... So, adding those two factors together, I would say that those pulling 250+ on the 2" V-bar can do this (just a wild guess). Some have gotten almost 300" on the V-bar, so I am willing to bet they can do it for sure!

This should be interesting to see how many people tear themselves up trying this one. Remember it wasn't too long ago that one of the sorinex guys lost a bicep hanging from a chin bar one handed while holding weight (http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=27362). No, as a 300 pounder, it is much easier for me to pickup 300 pounds with say a 1" handle than it is to hang with one hand from a 1" bar - even a horizontal bar. Hell over thanksgiving I did 277 on an old Rolling Thunder and had 287 all but locked out. Obviously 500+ pounds in a one hand deadlift is very doable for some of the top guys on this board (non rotating handle) but ask the same about hanging from a bar with a total weight of 500 and I bet nobody could do it. 300 is a lot of weight on your lat, tricep, bicep, shoulder. The grip to me isn't even an issue in my mind - it's the stress on the body. With that said I would be willing to bet Rob V can do it as he is extremely strong - can do weighted one arm pullups - so he has the joints and tendons to do it and obviously grip won't be an issue for him either. I'm sure others can do it as well - my point is it is no joke and it is more than just a grip feat of strength.

Edited by Wade Gillingham

Good point Wade as always. Hanging is a beast of action. It could destroy arm if you're not conditioned for it. Especially one arm. I 've hung one arm on a bar with elbow at about 85 degree for 10 second or so, and it was painful to say the least and I weighed only 145 lbs back then.

Oh Joe, you are such a hipocrit, how dare you ask me for proof when you so tenaciously defend these "legends" legacies.....and you never saw S H I T.

Oh.....sarcasm buddy....ever hear of it ?........ya know the whole Samson thing....I thought that was over the top enough for you to get my point.....guess not.

Next you will want proof of superman and the hulk existing too.

Dude if you believe this garbage....we need to talk, cause boy oh boy, do I have a deal for you :D

I CAN do those feats and will upload them when ready, so oh (quit using the fbomb - moderator edit) in well, hate to shatter your images of big mac but there are people out there as strong as him ......even if it is BS.

Joe, it is so funny how you tiptoe around SO MANY valid points I made..............odd that someone as well versed as you has NO answers.

WHY call me out ? it is possible to do these feats right ? I mean they have already been done , so why can't they be duplicated?

think about it...........you don't have a leg to stand on.

Thats enough from me, you interrupted me from climbing my 2" rope to my tree house with my pet dinosaur tied to my back where I was gonna count my secret bent penny and bottle cap collection and wait for my buddy to come over and film my 150lb. zottmans.................just a day in the life brotha. :rock