The Strictest Form Of Bending?

gazza

Personally i feel that the bending we do today regardless of style has no tradition what so ever now i no that things evolve put i feel that we still need to keep in a certain amount of tradition.

I started bending after i got a computer in 2002 and started looking 4 oldtime strongman feats in particular those done before steroids came about it led me to david hornes comp and i competed in the novice section and whilst there Ben Reid an oldtime nail bender gave a demonstration at age 69 no fancy double wraps or anything he just bend some 60ds abit like Don Larkin would do again no fancy wraps just a test of wrist strength and pain.

Why is it that people doing a show will use minimal padding and more wrist strength yet in general they would not do that Bob and Tim have just admitted that they will use less padding in shows even tho its more painfull so the the fact of the matter is that giving a nail to a member of the audience with the nail in multiple wraps will then have alot of people repeating the showmans feat even tho he might not have strong wrists he might succeed because he has the upper body strength yet give the same people the same nail in a hankerchief and the odds are he will fail but will he fail because of pain tolerance or wrist strength or a mixture of both Why do people doing shows then hand a person a 60d in a hankerchief or minimal wrapping is it alo because people viewing the said feat in multiple wraps think its cheating.

Would people be happy to see slims hammer feats made easier so they can then say they equalled his records i think not slim and Don and Ben Reid all bent a certain way a traditional way lots of people admire these guys so why not try to keep what they have done before us alive a 60d in a hankerchief is an oldtime traditional test of strength how many here can do it how many can underhand or reverse a red nail like Adam said thats still a world class bend done properly look at how many can bend BIG steel but can they bend a red or bastard in ironmind wraps in all 3 ways and if not is it really the pain stopping them or the wraps or both.

So how should we do it then do u think? :calm

for example, should DO be banned from now on? just curious here, i understand the arguments (I agree to some degree as well), but how should we apply this to the HOBBY we all are so committed to?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gazza

• bencrush

• Tim71

• TKtheGreek

Personally i feel that the bending we do today regardless of style has no tradition what so ever now i no that things evolve put i feel that we still need to keep in a certain amount of tradition.

I started bending after i got a computer in 2002 and started looking 4 oldtime strongman feats in particular those done before steroids came about it led me to david hornes comp and i competed in the novice section and whilst there Ben Reid an oldtime nail bender gave a demonstration at age 69 no fancy double wraps or anything he just bend some 60ds abit like Don Larkin would do again no fancy wraps just a test of wrist strength and pain.

Why is it that people doing a show will use minimal padding and more wrist strength yet in general they would not do that Bob and Tim have just admitted that they will use less padding in shows even tho its more painfull so the the fact of the matter is that giving a nail to a member of the audience with the nail in multiple wraps will then have alot of people repeating the showmans feat even tho he might not have strong wrists he might succeed because he has the upper body strength yet give the same people the same nail in a hankerchief and the odds are he will fail but will he fail because of pain tolerance or wrist strength or a mixture of both Why do people doing shows then hand a person a 60d in a hankerchief or minimal wrapping is it alo because people viewing the said feat in multiple wraps think its cheating.

Would people be happy to see slims hammer feats made easier so they can then say they equalled his records i think not slim and Don and Ben Reid all bent a certain way a traditional way lots of people admire these guys so why not try to keep what they have done before us alive a 60d in a hankerchief is an oldtime traditional test of strength how many here can do it how many can underhand or reverse a red nail like Adam said thats still a world class bend done properly look at how many can bend BIG steel but can they bend a red or bastard in ironmind wraps in all 3 ways and if not is it really the pain stopping them or the wraps or both.

Because they want to win in the comp or move up the cert list and they're not going to handicap themselves. The purpose of the show is to wow people and visually, at least to those ignorant of what is what, small wraps is more impressive.

I use small wraps in a show, mainly as a speed thing. People aren't going to understand a five minute (exaggeration) wrap to bend an Edgin, when they don't get the difference between an Edgin & a 5/16 Grade 2, they just see a shorter bolt. I bend stuff in shows that I can wrap quickly & loose, rather than make the audience wait & possibly lose interest. The bolts don't really do near as much for the audience as crescents & 3/4" bar anyway, I've taken to doing my short bends like Pat for a better visual. The first one I lap a stone, bend the nail, then pop the stone up to my shoulder & talk a bit before putting it down. I've been getting a much better response doing that than hitting a standard short bend. I do start the bend reverse in that situation with a 70D. The second bend is done later in the show with a swing hanging around my neck with a couple of kids sitting in it.

I honestly don't like to bend reverse or DU. I've never trained those styles, though, so who's to say I wouldn't like bending like that. I do plan on trying to cert BIEW this winter, long way to go on the DU, but figure I should as long as I sell the stuff, I ought to be doing it.

I use small wraps in a show, mainly as a speed thing. People aren't going to understand a five minute (exaggeration) wrap to bend an Edgin, when they don't get the difference between an Edgin & a 5/16 Grade 2, they just see a shorter bolt. I bend stuff in shows that I can wrap quickly & loose, rather than make the audience wait & possibly lose interest. The bolts don't really do near as much for the audience as crescents & 3/4" bar anyway, I've taken to doing my short bends like Pat for a better visual. The first one I lap a stone, bend the nail, then pop the stone up to my shoulder & talk a bit before putting it down. I've been getting a much better response doing that than hitting a standard short bend. I do start the bend reverse in that situation with a 70D. The second bend is done later in the show with a swing hanging around my neck with a couple of kids sitting in it.

I honestly don't like to bend reverse or DU. I've never trained those styles, though, so who's to say I wouldn't like bending like that. I do plan on trying to cert BIEW this winter, long way to go on the DU, but figure I should as long as I sell the stuff, I ought to be doing it.

What's BIEW?

What's BIEW?

Bastard in every way, means you have bent a Bastard bar in the 3 main styles: DO, DU, and Reverse.

- Aaron

I agree John, I have started doing some of the same stuff in my shows. I am guilty of using doubles in a show or two, but that was out of laziness. I just grabbed my wraps and took em' with me. But, I didn't even get them tight in any way because of how quickly I wrapped the steel. they were just flopping around loosely on the bar, providing no leverage advantage at all. More of a hinderance really. The crowd just wants to see something big being bent. It just seems harder to them. 3/4'' bar, horseshoes, and scrolling a 1/2'' bar do the job nicely. I don't even use wraps on the longbar anymore; just a folded hand towel for the end of the bar when I crush it or pull it into me. I'll have think about adding something to the feat like you said. Would look real good.

Edited by Foxman

Pain factor is nice for shows but definately limits size of stuff bent. I have crushed stuff down barehanded up to reds and bigger. I have yet to kink a 60d barehanded but I have done g2 bolts etc. I have done a tough 60d in a small piece of Denim though and ended up with bone bruises for my trouble. Also have recently done my first horseshoe barehanded. It looks cooler to an audience for sure. I have to agree on that point that minimal padding or none is great for an audience but IMO the risk of injury goes up significantly as well so you have to balance those with what you get out of it. Especially if your hands are not fully conditioned for it. I think it can take years to fully condition your hands to the beating they will take from bending with small or no wraps. Otherwise injury will be a foregone conclusion at some point.

As to the strictest form of Bending, my guess would be one of the styles I have no interest in pursuing

- Aaron

I've done about a dozen very informal shows for various groups of people. Some lifters, some oilfield guys, some relatives, and some office workers at other times. They are definitely more impressed with thin pads and a 60D than they are with double pads and a Huge Shiny. I used fat pads in most of my shows and even went as far as showing the ones who wanted to give it a try how to do it with some form tips. I always figured that the oilfield guys could once in a while bend a 60D with very little padding because of the strength built in their hands and wrists and the pain tolerance. That proved right more than once. But give them a Huge Shiny wrapped up nice and tight in double pads and it's a safe bet it'll stay straight or at most be barely kinked.

I only dabble in bending (mostly cos of Ben's nagging!) but isn't this thread equating to "Which is the strictest lift: Squat, Bench, or Deadlift?"?

I don't understand. :unsure

I've done about a dozen very informal shows for various groups of people. Some lifters, some oilfield guys, some relatives, and some office workers at other times. They are definitely more impressed with thin pads and a 60D than they are with double pads and a Huge Shiny. I used fat pads in most of my shows and even went as far as showing the ones who wanted to give it a try how to do it with some form tips. I always figured that the oilfield guys could once in a while bend a 60D with very little padding because of the strength built in their hands and wrists and the pain tolerance. That proved right more than once. But give them a Huge Shiny wrapped up nice and tight in double pads and it's a safe bet it'll stay straight or at most be barely kinked.

I've had one bend an medium 60d but it took quite a bit of effort.

I tried carefully wrapping something bigger and bending it once at a show and I didn't get the reaction I got from a 60d with the slap-n-wraps.

It would be nice if we could find a reliable source for the "mutant" 60d nails that hit around 380 lbs. Those would be safe 99.99% of the time in very small wraps yet it would look cool (slightly thicker) and plus most of the guys who do shows could reliably bend one in fairly quick fashion.

Same with grade 5 and grade 8 bolts. I've bent both for people after a 60d and usually they go back and pick up the darn 60d. Wrenches are a sure thing though unless they are crap.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the strictest style is because it may vary with body type. Probably either Brookfield or Heslep's style. I'd like to get to the point of bending a 60d Brookfield's style in a towel (the nail not me :D ) because that would look cool as heck.

My brother-in-law swears that he knows a guy who could bend a 16 penny nail between his fingers. You know, underneath the middle finger but on top the index and ring finger. All I can say is OUCH.

Beatty's point is another great one. In a show, quickness counts in wrapping. A small quick suede wrap would be better than a hanky that took 2 minutes to roll up all perfect.

Tim

Just as you say, you're more likely to have some one else come up and bend it, plus it takes too long and doesn't look as good.

For the record Gary, I still do 90% of my unbraced bending in very small single wraps at home. I've bent up to a G5 in a washcloth or hand towel although it did keep poking through and ripping. Also do some washcloths and hankys but no bare-handed bending as I play guitar 3 times a week so the two would clash. I usually go up to a grade 8 and then maybe some 70d nails in the thinner leather. Then when I want to cert or if I just want to knock out something big (for me) then I've got a thicker wraps that I use for bastards and higher.

I like working all the styles some including the stict styles as you term them. I do 95 percent of my reverse in a very strict fashion like Pat P started out. Then I'll turn around and "fold" something to see where that is. Like Bob said, you like to compare apples to apples when you see where you are at compared to others.

I can do high DO style with a washcloth or hanky but I REALLY have to adjust it and move my hands in and rotate my grip forward. Push on that 60d point very much at all and it will come through.

Most of my bending is for fun at the time instead of chasing records so for me the fun is involving all these other styles.

The wraps can make DO style feel like an entirely different style; at least to me anyway.

Anybody ever try bending out like Tommy did only with and underhand grip and smaller pads? I'll have to try that when I get home but I suspect it would be really awkward and hard.

Tim

Im so tired of hearing about these unmatched, unbeatable oldtime strongman feats. I've seen pictures and videos, alot of these men were not in shape, alot of these "records" are exagerrated and untrue. I watched a video of some oldtime strongmen trying to lift this woman name Resista or something. And she changed her weight to equal over 1000 pounds and at that point no one could lift her, it was a hoax. Or a video of Thomas inch saying hes lifting the inch dumbell when the weight is obviously fake. This is like me pulling out a bar calling it magic and saying it now takes 5,000 pounds of pressure to bend, its dumb. Those guys were showman and we give them to much credit.

And whats the big deal about being able to bend in different styles i understand it makes you better all around, but thats like saying Shaquille O'neal isnt a good Basketball player cause he cant shoot threes, or saying Michael Johnson isnt a good runner because he cant run long distances.

The main reason im an advocate of smaller wraps is becuase it keeps things equal and since we live really far away and competing is unpractical its the best way to measure someones merit, since it alows different feats to be compared.

Edited by TKtheGreek

I think all bending styles are strict form in their own way.

And in addition, we discussed different bending techniques a while back and Mr David Horne took a poll and hosted some bending lists that were requested. http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/FREESTYLEbending.html.

Seems like the people that were very concerned with the wraps and different styles did not want to participate as the bending style that had the <25mm thickness and no greater than 4"X12" leather wraps that needed to be touching in the center before the bend went away, I believe because apparently no one tried it?

Excellent point.

One other thing that may relate to this subject I might add is function. I started getting pretty good at DO using the pistol grip style in single wraps. Worked up to a shiny. My shoulders starting going south fast after that. I know Ben and others on here might relate to this. I stopped short bending entirely for a while and I started again but similar to what Gazza and Adam are talking about. The least padding I can use and different techniques. It is certainly harder but I feel it developes a more long term and usable wrist and hand power vs the upper body power of big wrap DO stuff.

It does seem similar to me as lifting with or without gear. I have said this a couple times but noone seems to notice it, you can't even bend DO at all bare hand. You gotta start it DU or reverse. Big wraps DO bends are awesome the same as big squats with lots of gear. It is incredible but it is what it is. You still need the strength and noone can take that away from you for it, but to me at least it isn't functional without that supportive system. If you are just gonna pick up something heavy you don't have a squat suit and people to help you get it on or off. If you gotta do something hard with your hands you usually can't wrap it up all nice in lots of leather. It just seems more real I guess in that sense. It's not good or bad or right or wrong really. I know normal people don't know the difference between a g2 and a f911 but maybe they are right in their assesment as far as wraps go. If you bend crazy stuff in big wraps you impresse people. If you bend hard stuff bare hand you scare people.

Anybody ever try bending out like Tommy did only with and underhand grip and smaller pads?

I have been starting my volume bare hand timber ties in this fashion. It gives allot of force distribution and protection against the ends of a nail. It is also the harderst form I have tried and gives you the least leverage. I am working towards starting this style with 60d's. I can bend 60d's bare hand but starting traditional DU hands touching or reverse hands touching, both still mess up my hands a good bit though and I can't do crap for a while with them after, not to mention is is painful as hell and not a pretty bend to watch at all. The underhand heslep I think can be used continuously bare hand without damaging the hands once you develop the power in that style.

I recently saw some crazy guys powerlifting huge huge weights with gear and I was tempted by the notion of training in that style to lift those weights. It sort of made me question my goals for a minute. Big DO bends are the same I feel. I want to lift heavy to get stronger for scrolling. Gear is not going to help me with this. I want to strengthen my hands and wrists for small scrolls and even some angles and scenarios in larger scrolls as well. For the most part, big wraps are not going to help me with this.

It is fine if your goals are to get on lists which allow these wraps and styles, just the same as gear in powerlifting. That is an incredible achievement, I don't think anyone is trying to take that away. But for me at least I have realized that for the most part, these things are detracting from my real goals here. It is just a matter of interest and focus.

I always figured that the oilfield guys could once in a while bend a 60D with very little padding because of the strength built in their hands and wrists and the pain tolerance. That proved right more than once. But give them a Huge Shiny wrapped up nice and tight in double pads and it's a safe bet it'll stay straight or at most be barely kinked.

I think this is a great point. As you said, these men have built very good strength and pain tolerance in their hands and wrist. This is the old school approach and focus I think Gazza and Adam are outlining.

The huge shiny in big pads, no that requires the opposite, give it to the super strong powerlifter who doesn't necessarily have the pain tolerance or conditioning for the small wraps, but has the power to bend big stuff if that aspect is lessened.

Ok, maybe not a huge shiny because you are a very elite bender Ben, but something reasonable to compare with like a standard red or bastard.

"Personally i feel that the bending we do today regardless of style has no tradition what so ever now i no that things evolve put i feel that we still need to keep in a certain amount of tradition." <<< YES!!!

In my opinion, a KOAB in double leathers with crush pads, isn't near as impressive as single 10" suede or IMP. The biggest bends done belong to Gazza and Pat, and they weren't done with major wrapping sessions and double leathers out on the end. Pat does his stuff with no rubber bands, and in single 10" thin suede. Gazza bends a huge shiny with no wraps. I love seeing the hard work and dedication that those two guys have put forward. I'm not saying everybody else hasn't felt the pain, but those two are just outstanding.

I love this thread. I love the traditional ways that the guys who are my heroes used. Those guys weren't fakes as people claim, they were true traditional, strongMEN. The Atom's feats stand today as some of the most amazing things done. If anybody wants to doubt him there's a guy named Slim Farman who will let you know that it's true. One of the only strongman from back then who is still alive and kickin has the hammer records tied up and they won't be going anywhere for a very long time.

The traditional guys are the ones bending the biggest stuff, and doing the craziest feats with ease. My opinion is that traditional is the way to go. :)

And in addition, we discussed different bending techniques a while back and Mr David Horne took a poll and hosted some bending lists that were requested. http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/FREESTYLEbending.html.

Seems like the people that were very concerned with the wraps and different styles did not want to participate as the bending style that had the <25mm thickness and no greater than 4"X12" leather wraps that needed to be touching in the center before the bend went away, I believe because apparently no one tried it?

No, I definitely did some 4"X12" leather pad bends but I was too lazy to buy a digital micrometer so that they'd be allowed on David's list. It did prevent me from bending anywhere near my max though, so I guess that right there points out that it's obviously a more difficult bend. I bent a variety of stuff with the 4"X12" pads and wasn't sure what was going to rate highest anyway. 4" G5, 4.5" G8, Mag, Huge Hex, Big Shiny. Had more in me with some practice with them since it was different than my favored style of DO at the time.

Anybody ever try bending out like Tommy did only with and underhand grip and smaller pads? I'll have to try that when I get home but I suspect it would be really awkward and hard.

Tim

The few times I tried Heslep style, I also tried the DU Heslep style. I thought the DHS was pretty comfortable compared to the other "original" method. The whole question of how much the elbows can bend is definitely the kicker though. I did a hard 60D the first time I tried it in thin leather pads.

Im so tired of hearing about these unmatched, unbeatable oldtime strongman feats. I've seen pictures and videos, alot of these men were not in shape, alot of these "records" are exagerrated and untrue. I watched a video of some oldtime strongmen trying to lift this woman name Resista or something. And she changed her weight to equal over 1000 pounds and at that point no one could lift her, it was a hoax. Or a video of Thomas inch saying hes lifting the inch dumbell when the weight is obviously fake. This is like me pulling out a bar calling it magic and saying it now takes 5,000 pounds of pressure to bend, its dumb. Those guys were showman and we give them to much credit.

And whats the big deal about being able to bend in different styles i understand it makes you better all around, but thats like saying Shaquille O'neal isnt a good Basketball player cause he cant shoot threes, or saying Michael Johnson isnt a good runner because he cant run long distances.

The main reason im an advocate of smaller wraps is becuase it keeps things equal and since we live really far away and competing is unpractical its the best way to measure someones merit, since it alows different feats to be compared.

Teddy

Who mentioned Thomas Inch an the like Altho despite the Dumbell feasco was still a very very strong man in his own right.

My reference to oldtimers altho i didnt mention names was the likes of Slim,the Atom,Zass etc people who are/were oldtime traditional legitimate benders that for the most part there stuff is well documented.

In my eyes the big deal about bending in all styles is then i can call myself a bender not say a DO style bender if thats all i was to do its a bit like saying lets just bend 6inch stock if you dont bend in different styles with different lengths and thicknesses of stock can one rightly say they are a bender or should they be labelled a DO bender or a DU bender.

I personally dont think ive really beaten a bar/piece of steel unless i can get the same bend in ironmind wraps or leathers equal to or smaller than ironmind wraps alot of my bigger bends are in leathers thicker than ironmind wraps but i dont really count them thats why i still think my best bend is my fantastic shiny in those leathers no chalk or bands just how Pat an the likes would bend i have bent shorter and thicker but thats really me just showing what i can achieve with the right equipment but i dont rayte them bends above or equal to my fantastic shiny.

You say above that you advocate the thinner pads because it compares people equally but yet you dismiss the oldtimers feats of say bending in hankerchiefs etc so if we are to emulate them how do we do that a good comparison would be to bend like them in hankerchiefs would it not.

Recently you were showing us some of your benching so if i come to your gym with double or triple ply bench shirts on with 3 spotters and beat you to the say 450-500lbs mark is that fare?

Mike

I might come off a little rude here but i say it how it is so i will just be blunt i dont particularly care for David Horne or his lists so thats the reason i never partisipated in those lists but i was bending in all manner of wraps well before those lists came about ive even bent with pads smaller than his 2 x 2inch ones like yourself i can bend in all styles and with all types of wrapping i am certainly up for some 4" x 12" bending with the hands touching in the middle of the bar :D

Respectfully....................Gazza.....................

"Personally i feel that the bending we do today regardless of style has no tradition what so ever now i no that things evolve put i feel that we still need to keep in a certain amount of tradition." <<< YES!!!

In my opinion, a KOAB in double leathers with crush pads, isn't near as impressive as single 10" suede or IMP. The biggest bends done belong to Gazza and Pat, and they weren't done with major wrapping sessions and double leathers out on the end. Pat does his stuff with no rubber bands, and in single 10" thin suede. Gazza bends a huge shiny with no wraps. I love seeing the hard work and dedication that those two guys have put forward. I'm not saying everybody else hasn't felt the pain, but those two are just outstanding.

I love this thread. I love the traditional ways that the guys who are my heroes used. Those guys weren't fakes as people claim, they were true traditional, strongMEN. The Atom's feats stand today as some of the most amazing things done. If anybody wants to doubt him there's a guy named Slim Farman who will let you know that it's true. One of the only strongman from back then who is still alive and kickin has the hammer records tied up and they won't be going anywhere for a very long time.

The traditional guys are the ones bending the biggest stuff, and doing the craziest feats with ease. My opinion is that traditional is the way to go. :)

Casey not necessarilly so put me and Pat in a contest environment with all the Big Dogs at there best Aaron,Ben,Mike,Paul,Chad,John,Adam etc and all useing there own favourite wraps anyone of these guys on there day can pull it out the bag now im not being arrogant or big headed here but reduce the pads to say ironmind wraps then i think all the above can still hit big steel but its reduced considerably the same for me i can on a good day hit a fantastic shiny in ironmind wraps or less i might even scare a psycho shiny i think Pat can probably hit 95 percent of his top bends in ironmind or thin leathers also but i would say that the other guys above are abit of the 95 percent mark if you compare there big wrap bends to there say ironmind wrap bends so what i am getting at here is a persons top bend in bigger wraps a BETTER + STRONGER bend than his say 75-95percent bend of the above in the ironmind or thin leathers bend.

The biggest bends done belong to Gazza and Pat

And Paul, and I think Aaron, John, and Dave qualify as well.

1) Gary Hunt Huge King of All Shiny Bastards 4-05-2007

2) Paul Knight Big King of All Bastards (665 lbs.) 7-14-2008

3) Pat Povilaitis King of All Bastards 2006

4) Aaron Corcorran 5/16 x 7" grade 8 bolt (675 lbs.) 2-09-2008

5) John Beatty 5/16 x 7" square crs (650 lbs.) 10-04-2008

6) Dave Thornton 5/16 x 7" square crs (650 lbs.) 11-01-2008

7) Eric Milfeld 3/8 x 7" Steel Works crs (590 lbs.) 1-30-2007

8) Mike Hadland 3/8 x 7" Steel Works crs (590 lbs.) 8-12-2007

9) Brendan Dwyer 23/64 x 7" crs (595 lbs.) 10-02-2008

10) Ben Edwards 5/16 x 6.5" grade 5 bolt 5-05-2007

this topic makes for a very interesting read!

but i can't help but remember back about a year or so, where giving my opinion on something similar to this got me :flame

this will only every go one way, and that's 'topic closed'

lets try and keep it rolling though...

i believe (imo) that the strictest form of bending should be done in minimal wrapping (enough so that you don't injure yourself - but this again will vary so greatly from person to person it will be difficult to say what enough actually is), and done in a style that a newbie would attempt a bend :happy i think that's a good way of putting it.