Question for joe

ChrisJames

MORE SOMEWHAT RELATED TRIVIA:AT 'THE STRONGEST MAN ALIVE CONTEST'IN '98 ONE OF THE EVENTS WAS THE ONE ARM CLEAN AND PRESS...whoops..not shouting...caps lock was on.

The event was to clean and press with one arm a dumbell.I think only a couple of guys got over 200#one was Whit Baskin and another was- i believe(top of my head memory)Ed Broast from canada?They were just a little over 200#..but the clean was done with one arm.(straps allowed)

On the other hand Whit had quickly dropped 30+ lbs in bodyweight just before the contest so his press was down at the contest.I believe he did a 225 one arm clean and press at a heavier bodyweight(he had also done a 450 behind the neck push press in practice and I believe a 440 behind the neck push press in a contest?)

I will dig up a photo of MR.Magee...I  believe i have one of him with a 200 pounder overhead.I'll snail mail it to Roark.His physique(or lack of)and size must be seen to be believed....... :hehe

I think the deciding part of the lift would be getting the bells to the chest with no straps. I wonder who could clean over 175s....200?Most guys with the pressing power seem to have problems with the pulling end of it.I have always wondered about what Ahrens could really do...... Kaz would seem to me to be at the upper end of the scale of possibility in this type of lift. If Mr. James is pressing these weights he IS a marvel of nature! Way to go Chris. RS

Perhaps some of the current pro strongmen that are good at the log press or thick bar press could adapt to it?

Walt Goggola recently hit a 395 log and just missed a 405?

Hugo Girard?up close to 400?

Schoonveld up in the high 380's with a log?(exceptional grip and forearm strength too)

Sean Smith has reportedly hit a 420#log and is perhaps the best all around presser i.e.big bench-big incline-big viking press, great a seated dumbell presses but apparently does have some grip probs.(thus making the 175+db's W/O straps difficult?

Chad Smith HUGE overhead presser but HAD some grip probs(maybe he's overcome this...he's only 23 or 24?)

There are many others that 'might'be good at it if given the incentive....

I personally think it would make an interesting event for a strongman contest.Make it an event at a contest...and THEN these guys will practice it.......

Sure its ez for me to say :D But IF we really want to find out what the upper limit is in this activity we(as fans/promoters/manufacurers/historians/and as strength athletes :D) should lobby for it...

Let other strongman promoters know that we'd like to see this as an event? :hehe in a PRO contest.

I've been to a lot of strongman contests and personally have got a little tired of the 'ol log press...lets see a a double dumbell clean and push press(anyhow)...no straps..conventional circumference handles-plate loaded-for a maximum weight?

OR as they did at 'Strongest Man Alive'a single arm single dumbell clean and press..no straps this time...I think if given a REASON(i.e.prize money in a pro show) to practice this event we'd see some HUGE numbers.

Ask Harlan Jacobs(a board veteran and a COC on the #3)what sort of pressing power Sean Smith has....If you don't follow strongman you'll be shocked!He HAS been working his grip in the off season....

Lets face it...UNLESS we lure a european/russian/lithuanian/iranian(etc. etc.) OLYMPIC lifter out of their chosen sport it will take the size and power and athleticism of an athlete- the likes of a top PRO strongman-(other than perhaps Chris James?or OF COURSE wrestler-power lifter-0lifter- Mark Henry)to take the weights(two dumbellls) past the 175's#.OR to take a single WAY past a 250#!

Perhaps some top powerlifters(Gillingham-Gary Frank,etc.)might still have the speed and power to toss up some big dumbells?? but again they would have to be lured out of their sport to practice the event :p

And that Brings us back to PRO strongmen,who do train unusual activities and have speed.athleticism,grip and  pressing power........ and the event would make an awesome and visually satisfying(to the fans)event!

That Saeed Jaber Salem guy (world champ super-best c&j=265kg) said he might be interested in strongman once he's done with weightlifting. I wonder how he'd do with that? He's probably a really good puller AND pusher.

oh wow :) don't get me started on the potential of a world class O-lifter...they have the goods-(speed-power-flexibility-athleticism-good 'verticals'....on and on..the prototype strongmen...)- for the sport of STRONGMAN and of course could(likely)do some REAL damage with the double dumbell clean and press or REALLy kick some butt on the single DB clean and press...

I hope he(jaber saleem) gets into strongman!!!Would be very exciting if he did.

BTW even 'average'(by international standards)0-lifters have been pretty darn good strongmen ;) Bruce Wilhelm,Ken Patera,Bergmanis and lately Jesse marrunde.....

Sorry to have taken up so much space on this double dumbell clean and press...I love the concept of seeing it play out in strongman...I saw that 1stCoc was posting on the thread and hopeing he thinks it would be a good event for strongman too ;)

Chris James,

Please take this as a compliment because it is certainly meant that way. Those are very good numbers with the lifts you mentioned earlier in this thread. I also notice that those who have posted here longer than I seem to hold your strength in high regard. As a regular reader of Milo since its inception and one who likes to think I am familiar with most of the major personalities in various aspects of the Iron Game, I am embarrassed to admit I either am not familiar with your name or for whatever reason am not recognizing it. Would you mind telling me a little more about yourself: strength background, best lifts, etc. I sure do appreciate it. Thanks.

Mark