Deadlift Question

Guest Odhibjorn

Guest Odhibjorn

So yesterday at work (I work at a community fitness center on weekends) I was bored and decided that I wanted to do deadlifts. I've only really trained deadlifts four or five times in my life as I am a relatively new lifter (got sick of being unhealthy, and had some joint problems in the past). I wanted to ask you seasoned iron vets if 250 on the deadlift without a belt or straps is okay for a newbie? That was my max 3 rep weight last night, I worked it about 2x3 and felt that adding anymore weight would have conflicted with my form... which according to my cousin Stefan, said was good. He doesn't deadlift himself but he kept an eye on my back and shoulders for me and said they didn't move forward (shoulders) nor did my back round at any point in the movement.

So is 250 good for a guy who is a chubby 270lbs and about two months into lifting?

Guest Odhibjorn

Thanks for the reply Chris. I know that I need work on my deadlift compared to my weight for sure but I felt it was okay considering it's a new thing to me. I'm leaving town later today to see a chiropractor tomorrow just to get my back all straightened out. I know that the more I get used to training deadlifts and as my barbell squat improves my weight will move up heaps.

All the best from my side of the pond.

Everyone has to start somewhere. When I started training, I added 80 lbs. to my max in a very short time, so it's something you can easily improve at. Working your grip will probably help too...or at least make it unlikely that it wll be your grip that keeps you from lifting more.

I agree with Chris. When I first started doing deads (a few months ago, almost a year), my max was maybe 225 (I remember 190 felt hard). Now it's 400 from a 3" block. So, even though 250 isn't great, it's not at all a bad starting point. Here's a deadlift routine you might wanna try. I did it twice, and it did work pretty good, but I can't remember exactly what my gains were(I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20lb).

Edited by Magnus

It's not about where you start at all. Strength training is a journey more than a destination - enjoy the ride!

So yesterday at work (I work at a community fitness center on weekends) I was bored and decided that I wanted to do deadlifts. I've only really trained deadlifts four or five times in my life as I am a relatively new lifter (got sick of being unhealthy, and had some joint problems in the past). I wanted to ask you seasoned iron vets if 250 on the deadlift without a belt or straps is okay for a newbie? That was my max 3 rep weight last night, I worked it about 2x3 and felt that adding anymore weight would have conflicted with my form... which according to my cousin Stefan, said was good. He doesn't deadlift himself but he kept an eye on my back and shoulders for me and said they didn't move forward (shoulders) nor did my back round at any point in the movement.

So is 250 good for a guy who is a chubby 270lbs and about two months into lifting?

No, a sub body weight pull is poor. BUT with the right attitude and training you can make a lot of progress.

Pick three lifts-Squat, Deadlift, Mil Press, Bench press, Pull Up, Dip, Power clean, Snatch and work them for the next two years.

Many people are very weak, and the reason why is they fail to work the foundational strength. Look around at gyms across the world--A person who cannot squat or DL decent weights will spend hours doing leg extensions, leg curls and other pointless movements. You will see more who cannot BP anything over 185 doing DB flies and cable cross overs ( :rock keep them up bro!) Or my personal favorite--The guy who cannot do even 5 dips knocking out rep after rep of the dumbbell kickback to "shape" his triceps.

Build a deep, wide, thick base of strength first. GPP->SPP, not the other way around.

Other than the main lifts Adam has said I would say try working the romanian deadlift and bent press as well.They are 2 strong lifts that hit allot of areas that can be overlooked by the major ones and I think may play a significant rold in preventing muscle imbalances. I wish I had started the bent press a while back. The key is to keep training hard and doing the big important lifts, but it helps allot if you don't get some kind of imbalance or injury and can keep progressing in that fashion.

Odhibjorn the answer is it doesnt matter. Are you stronger than the day before? If so then that's great. If you can be even stronger week after then even better. It's a journey. Everyone starts somewhere. For just about everyone there's a person who can put their numbers to shame.

With that said...you're starting at ~275 for a single which is a bit more than your bw.

Your first goal is to get to 1.5xbw with good form, then 2xbw, then 2.5, then 3....etc. Top pros at your bodyweight who likely have used a bit of pharmaceutical help are doing upwards of 900+ lb....gives you a little perspective and motivation.

good luck.

Edited by menace3000

I would say if you yourself felt it was good which you seem to by your post then it was good. everyone has to start somewhere and if you work at it you will impove A LOT. One thing I would say is if you do something you are proud of, I would keep it that way rather than ask what everyone else on the board thinks as on the whole unless its something amazing that blows everyone away (and not much on here does) peoples honest (sometimes brutally honest) answers will only detract from the way you feel about it.

Edited by Stew

• 1 month later...

You've made a step in the right direction by giving the deadlift a shot - I think it rivals the squat as one of the best movements you can perform for both strenght and size. Keep doing it, focusing on proper form and the numbers will come. Right now you should just focus on getting stronger - keep deadlifting and you will do just that!

i dl'd aprox280 hell i was stoked about it i weigh in at an even 200 im overweight for my structure!its fat not all muscle i was at 170 a year ago had an accident gained weight blah blah anyhow i was still stoked anout it so do your thing keep at it :rock

With the deadlift it's all about consistency and keeping the form right. Also try switching up the styles that you're deadlifting.... throw in some sumo or some beyond range deadlifts... maybe some kettlebell deadlifting and just keep at it. the numbers will all come.

Edited by Matthew Boylan

I only recently started squatting and doing any leg training again (been working legs since september). I'm 160 lbs and DL'd today for the first time and pulled 225 fairly easily, my goal is 250 lbs for a 1.5 bodyweight DL. My is still weak but getting stronger, short term goal is squat of 225 pounds (at about 200 right now max). Just keep training consistently and you will get stronger. Who you train with also effects your results. Training with people stronger and more experienced than you will help you push yourself in a safe and productive way.

Edited by thewalrus