How did you do this past year?

Clayton

Did any of your guys have a "breakout" year?  I know several on the board shut the #3, but did anyone else make any HUGE gains?

Not to blow my own horn, but I made more progress this year than ever before.

I shut the #3, pinch gripped 107 pounds, lifted 172 on the PDA Inch handle, and really brought my lagging wrist strength up to par.

My goals for 2002 include the 150 pound pinch lift, tearing a deck of cards, and some more work bending nails.

Oh, I also ordered a #4 gripper today.

So what did you guys accomplish this year?  What are your goals for 2002?  Will we see any BIG milestones this year?

Guest kINGPIN

I closed the 1 and the 2 this year.  I got my own gym.  And I am benching a lot heavier then the year before.  Alltogether it has been a good year for training allthough all of this has been insignificant compared to all the things that have happened in the world this year.  

My main goal next year is to close the #3 and maybe get certified the year after although this is a long way off right now.  My other goal is to bench 115ks next year and I think that this is a bit more easily attainable but nevertheless a lot of hard work must be done.

I can close the #2 for singles and am about 1/4" off closing my BBM (although I still have 36-odd hours for possible further improvement :D).  IMHO not bad considering I only started grip training in May this year. :)

Goals for the new year include increasing my wrist strength and TRAINING my pinch grip (if this means I have to lock away my grippers.....so be it).

GM

Thanks for asking.  I finally pinch-gripped a pair of 35-pounders with each hand, and a 25 + three 10's with each hand.  Also, I deadlifted 414 (= double-bodyweight +) with only index and middle fingers, reverse grip.  My goal for 2002 will be to pinch-grip 150 with 2 hands before Mr. Clayton does it with one.  Just kidding, keep up the workout reports.

I made some progress as well.  I closed the #3, closed an Elite, pinched wide 35's,  and bent some 60 p nails.  I also got to watch Clayton pull 107 pinch,  172 on the IDB, and I also got to see him #### near kill himself with 1050 in the powerrack. ;)

James, I take it you've never been in a serious gym?!  The ONLY exercise worthy of the powerrack is..........CURLS.  Yes, it was truly amazing to see Clayton strict curl 1050.....  ;) Just joking... :D :D :D

It was an attempted DL lockout higher in the rack, mid to upper thigh.  We were just seeing what our little hands could hold.  Not being the brighest bulbs in the pack we had the bar outside the rack.  When Scott pulled, the pin came out, the rack started to fall, and it almost became a dark day for Scott Clayton.  We finally got the pin and bar back where it originated, and swore off lockouts for good......

The gym I use to go to doesn't have a power rack. You'll see lots of people doing triceps pushdown and curls(and variants) lots of POW in the aerobics/cardio. I haven't seen anyone perform SLD or DL or chin or squat - excercises that count. Yeah, I've never been to a serious gym. I workout at home.

JAMES

:D I started grip training in September of this year.

I closed the #2 for 3 reps both hands and pinched using both hands 110pounds +/- 3 inches width (2 x 25kg plates) for 33 seconds. :crazy

:blush My goals are to close the #3 and pinch those plates using one hand at a time and maybe on a long shot do a rafter pull up. ;)

I had a great year.  Total body strength has improved.  Closed the #2 and Master.  Did some rafter chins.  Taught myself to walk on my hands.  DL'd 1 3/4 BDWT for 5 reps with no training.  Broke some school lifting records.

This year I hope to close the #3 and maybe the elite.  I'd like to do rafter chins w/50lbs tied to me (if only I had a consistent place to train it,) Super Strict MP double BDWT, Front Squat DBL BDWT for 10 reps, walk a mile on my hands (maybe jog,) DL triple BDWT for 10, Power Clean DBL BDWT, get a power rack so I can do lockouts, 100lbs on 2.5in diameter for a good distance in farmers walk, one arm chins w/50lbs tied to me, one arm handstad push-up, improve nail bending a good deal, strict front and rear lever an 8lb sledge, pull-ups and dips with 150% BDWT tied to me for 10 reps, strict curl 150 for 10 reps, crunches w/100 lbs for 10 reps, side bends with 200 lbs for 10 reps (that would be kinda hard to manage as I need to balance a BB,) 45 lbs on my D.A.R.D. at the end for 10 reps, and many more that I can't think of now.

I'm always ambitious.

Michael Falkov

Heh, it's been a while since I posted here. I've been lurking

for a while, so I'll throw some change in.

I've made good improvements in total body strength this

past year despite a tendinitis (I don't know what to call it)

problem with my low back that made it sore for about a year.

Improved my bench 10% and did pulldowns with 270 for 10

on the hammer strength machine. Closed the #2 for 4 reps

and plate curled 35 lbs for 2 and almost a 3rd rep and didn't end up with a hand that hurt for a week after doing just one rep. I've only attempted 35 lbs maybe 5 times since it would hurt my hand so much just to get one in. My pinch still sucks can hold 25's for maybe 15 sec, but my hands are so

sweaty that I think I could do a lot more if I dryed them out with a chemical. My deadlift is still low because of the back problems but I have worked up to 130 kg for 25 reps with no

belt and a overhand hook grip. Just recently I did this with no chalk ( I had to, the gym ran out of it).

Goals for this year:

Bench Press 280 lbs

Deadlift 270 kg+

close the #3 gripper

plate curl 45 lbs

pinch 2 35's

do pulldowns with 360 for 8 or so on the hammer pulldown

• 5 months later...

Well, we are half way to 2003, how is everyone doing on their grip goals for 2002 ?  I set myself the goal to bend Ironmind Blue (done), close the #2 gripper (1/8" with right hand) and pull 140lb. on the PDA Inch dumbell handle (128 lb.).

Robert

Given the amount of training I've done for the upcoming grip comp I'll answer after that.

My current goals are just to improve my body strength, and work on my crushing grip more.  Since I've picked up some new equipment in the past few months, I'm working on my BP's and squats and deads (and some overhead barbell presses, which I did today).  You must remember that I've never done any formal weight training before, so with the progress I'm making - I think I'm doing o.k.  My ultimate goals are to BP 500, SQ 500 and DL 500.  So far, everything is looking up, and barring any injuries - I'm hoping I can acheive those goals before the year is out.  I just got some KB handles from IronMind, and I want to do some serious work with those.  I have my own private gym, so I have no distractions and can scream as loud as I can and no one will help me!  SWEET!!  Future goals:  to lift a Inch rep, major work on G-Rex, do some wicked anvil lifting, and become President of the Heath Sexton fan club!!  :p  :p

I had a great year. I tend to evaluate my "yearly" progress every summer, since I always tried for peak lifts then because of school.

I am finally coming back steadily from a serious back injury a year ago. I can squat and dl light weights again with no pain. My bench pressing, where I am focusing my competitive efforts, has skyrocketed. I made my first 500 this weekend. I also got a 350 push press, which is another important lift for me.

This is also the year I started serious grip training. I closed the 3 for many singles in a workout, another high IP gripper, and started working with pinches, rolling thunder, and wrist rollers.

A year from now I would like to be benching 530, push pressing 375, squatting and deadlifting comfortably and injury free in the 500's, and of course closing the #4 gripper.

i have dropped about 30lbs since january. i'm down to a slim 272. i plan to be at 250 by years end. this is tough because i love me some food.

i squatted 315 for 20 reps.

i didnt set any grip goals until a month or so ago. i plan to close #3 in november. i just go it and MOHS in the mail on friday. ive read the book twice now.

i have also made good progress in my kungfu training.

My ultimate goals are to BP 500, SQ 500 and DL 500...- I'm hoping I can acheive those goals before the year is out.

Snott, you are going to give up on progressing after a single year of lifting ?  Man, if I was benching 500 after a years training I would have my sights set on 700 pounds at least !

Robert

This year saw me making great gains in all my lifts. But alas I tore my pectorals major tendon (@insertion)  back in March and am still recovering. The only work that I have been doing since the injury has been grip. Specificially my right hands crushing power. I am about a ¼ - ½ inch away from closing the #3. I excpect to close it by years end. I have a bet with a nonbeliver pal as to whether or not I can close it by Feb. 28. So I am hoping to be able to get a double by then.

I have only worked my grip for one month. And my primary goal is to close my #2 before this year ends.

I missed my enthusiastic goal of closing the #3 by July this year.  In fact, grippers have taken a back seat for a while.  I have played with phone books and, more recently, cards.  I'm taking a few weeks off, then beginning to train for Kevin's Comp in October.  Goals for the rest of the year?  Rep my PDA 343 righty, and 10-second close #2 lefty.

I'm currently benching 225 pounds (max bench).

I should of said, "before the year is over"... I don't want to stop my weightlifting!  I love it too much!!  :)

I'm currently benching 225 pounds (max bench).

Snott,

How are you going to put 275 lbs on your bench in 6 months ?  Please post your workout regimen.  

Or did you mean 300 bench-400 squat-500 deadlift ?  I guess a 75 lb increase in 6 months might be do able.  I am trying to put 60 lb. on my bench by Jan. 1st. (255 5x5 to 315 5x5).

Robert