Basic Westside Template

Chalked_Up

Found this on another forum, I thought it'd be great for anyone wanting to start westside. Most of it is condensed.

SUNDAY- SPEED DAY FOR BENCH

BENCH 8-10 sets of 3reps (use 50% of 1 rep max, 30 seconds between sets, all reps should be done controlled but explosively)

FRONT PRESSES 3sets of 3-5reps(pick one shoulder movement)

STANDING FRONT PRESS

DB PRESSES

TRICEP MOVEMENT- one exercise, reps 10-15, one minute rest between sets

DB EXTENSIONS, DB EXT. W/ ELBOWS FLARED,

PUSHDOWNS, SKULL CRUSHERS,

JM PRESSES,etc

UPPER BACK MOVEMENT- 3sets of 10-12 reps

LAT PULLDOWNS, BENT-ROWS, CABLE ROWS,

ONE ARM DB or CABLE ROW,etc

ABS and or NECK

MONDAY- MAX EFFORT DAY FOR SQUAT & DEADLIFT

MAX EFFORT EXERCISE ? choose one exercise, work to a one rep max, do not perform exercise two weeks in a row

ZERCHER SQUATS, PIN LOCKOUTS(at different heights),

SAFETY SQUAT BAR SQUATS(off a low box),

SQUATS(off a high box), DEADLIFT(off a platform),

ARCH-BACK GOOD MORNINGS, STIFF-LEGS,

BELT SQUATS, SUMO DEADLIFTS- (all exercises can be

Enhanced with bands. Also keep a record of max lifts)

LEG CURLSor GLUTE HAM RAISES 3-4 sets of 5-7 reps

LOWER BACK MOVEMENT- switch every 3 weeks

STIFF-LEGS (not to be done when using as a max effort exercise),

PULL THROUGHS, HYPERS, REVERSE HYPERS,etc

UPPER BACK MOVEMENT- 3sets of 5-7 reps

BICEPS and ABS

WEDNESDAY- MAX EFFORT DAY FOR BENCH

MAX EFFORT EXERCISE ? same directions as for max day for squat and deadlift

BOARD PRESSES, CAMBER BAR PRESSES, FLOOR

PRESSES, DECLINE PRESSES, DB FOR REPS, REVERSE

BAND PRESSES, LOCKOUTS, CLOSE GRIP PRESSES

INCLINE PRESSES,etc

TRICEP MOVEMENT-pick two, keep reps 3-7, take longer between sets for optimum recovery, 3sets each

BACK MOVEMENT- keep reps 10-12 for 3 sets

ABS and or NECK

FRIDAY- SPEED DAY FOR SQUAT

BOX SQUATS 6-10 sets of 2 reps with 50-60% of one rep max, 30 seconds rest

LEG CURLS 3sets of 10 reps

LOWER BACK MOVEMENT- same exercise as Mondays but lighter and more reps

SHRUGS 3sets of 10-15 reps as heavy as you can handle it

BICEPS and ABS

Why would you want to squat off a high box, when then only type of squat that gets passed in the majority of powerlifting federations is one that is below parallel? Wouldn't it make more sense to use a below parallel box?

The bands and chains is big reason I don't train westside since a lot of the stuff revolves around them-not to mention I don't train with a monolift also very important for westside training- It seems to work well for a lot of them though, but problem I have is when people try to say its the only way to train or the best way. It's a solid method, but many of the strongest of all time have no used westide-most of IPF doesn't train westside either-

Why would you want to squat off a high box, when then only type of squat that gets passed in the majority of powerlifting federations is one that is below parallel? Wouldn't it make more sense to use a below parallel box?

"Only a few years before Paul's death [Paul Anderson] the lab rats caught up with his instinctive knowledge. The new generation of scientists realized that while most gains indeed occur at the specific training angles, there is a transfer to the untrained angles as well. In fact, most carryover of strength takes place in the range of plus-minus twenty degrees from the exercised angle (Knapik, Mawdsley, & Ramos, 1983)."

Beyond Bodybuilding, Pavel

The bands and chains is big reason I don't train westside since a lot of the stuff revolves around them-not to mention I don't train with a monolift also very important for westside training- It seems to work well for a lot of them though, but problem I have is when people try to say its the only way to train or the best way. It's a solid method, but many of the strongest of all time have no used westide-most of IPF doesn't train westside either-

Maybe they have no intention of competing in PL(bodybuilders looking for new workouts to stimulate growth, athletes, etc..) People copy others workouts all the time with no intention of competing in said sport. I'm sure there are plenty out there that have tried Westside that don't do competitive PL.

Why squat off a high box? Have you ever lifted with PL gear (squat suit with kneewraps, DL-suit, bench shirt)? If you use the available/legal equipment you need to be able to lift as much as possible WITH this stuff. What good is it to be able to come up e.g. in the squat with 40kg - 100kg more than you can squat raw and get stuck near the top as the PL gear does offer a lot less help there?

That's the reason for the use of bands and chains, to have a resistance curve similar to the one with PL gear while using no or limited equipment.

By the way Westside training uses many exercises on max day that are similar to the competition lifts, but not the competition lift itself (according to Louie Simmons articles on westside-barbell.com).

Personally I lift IPF and use a Westside-Heavy Duty-Positions of flexion mixture in training and have no monolift available.

Just my oneandahalfcentsworth...

Keep on lifting.

Hendrik

the chains and bands make the box squats seem as if they are breaking parallel

np, today was the first day of my WS cycle, and boy did it humble me lol

Jacob, I would tighten up your form on your deadlifts (quit back humping it) and the squat video you are going way too heavy.

Jacob. looks like you could use some back mobility work. Try very strict RDL's with light!! weight and press-ups. Don't go heavy from a deficit until you get your lower back stronger. I like snatch grip deficit pulls that are extremely light. Give them a try and you will see how you need alot of flexability. Just keep them light.

np, today was the first day of my WS cycle, and boy did it humble me lol

Jacob, I would tighten up your form on your deadlifts (quit back humping it) and the squat video you are going way too heavy.

As I haven't seen your squat and DL videos... Wannagrip and Chris are surely right with their judgement.

A little more info gained from the Westside-Barbell articles (and experience):

On maxday you do singles (or triples!) on every set ( the template doesn't point this out), except for maybe your first warm up.

Ideally you should do 3 or maybe 4 sets above 90% of your max when working up, so choose your progression sensibly.

For the speeddays Westside uses a "3-week-wave" for squats, that means week 1 - 50%, week 2 - 55%, week 3 - 60% of one rep max.

For bench and squat they usually use a different version for each 3 week cycle, for example using different bars (straight, safty squat bar,...), varying the resistance (chains, rubber bands from top or bottom (big difference!)), without or with a squat suit/briefs,...

If in doubt about choosing the weights for the speed work, err to the light side. According to the more recent Westside articles they tend to use 45% on speed benching nowadays.

Jacob, you're probably aware of this, as you wrote the template condensed. Hope this is still a little help for someone. :happy

Keep on lifting and gripping.