A New Goal

MalachiMcMullen

Haha, apparently I had a senior moment last night :laugh I remember quite vividly posting this here last night but I guess I just left the page and didn't click "Post New Topic" :laugh :laugh :laugh

I've been thinking about my latest idea to help increase my squat and my conditioning for the squat. What I was going to do was just do 100 BW squats everyday except for heavy squat days. However, after perusing the net and visiting Jesse Marunde's site once more I rediscovered something I had forgotten about.

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/videos/sarge...quatX98reps.wmv

That is SARGE, a now 43 year old training partner of the late, great Jesse Marunde. Apparently Sarge was known for his insane high rep squatting before this attempt and even Sarge considered this one to be a tad loopy. He had been doing 20 rep squats every 3 days for 3 years prior to this so he was well conditioned already. For Sarge, it was 218 to match his BW, for me it is currently 183 so I'll make the current goal 185x100 reps. I wont be doing this anytime soon mind you, but I will be doing this. Perhaps posting it here will help encourage me now that I have shared the goal with others :rock :rock :rock

I managed BW+32.5x100 a few hours ago. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I'll no doubt be feeling it tomorrow... when I do it again :devil

I'd also like to bring to everyone's attention that somehow Chris Rice and I have nearly the same goal. Chris is aiming for 218x60 so cheer him on as well!!!

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Happy b-day Chris! That's 60 squats with body weight right? :)

The above post appeared in my Happy 60th Birthday thread. It got me thinking - Could I do that? I don't know but I am going to go for it. The first thing I need to explain is that I'm using what I call my Leverage Squat Machine that I made instead of a barbell. I do most of my squatting on it - it works my legs hard but spares my glass lower back. It does have a mechanical advantage to it so it takes more weight on the pin than is on my shoulders. I plan to use BW or 200# on my shoulders which is 218# of weight on the pin the way it works out. I want to be plain that it is not as hard to do it this way as on a barbell - but I think it will be enough for me and perhaps not re injure my back this way. I'm making some progress.

Zack's 183# for 100 reps will I think put him in a place that very very few have ever gone - a tremendous accomplishment when finished! :rock

Yikes, that will make you big and strong. My traps ache just thinking about it. What is it going to do to your max I wonder?

Yikes, that will make you big and strong. My traps ache just thinking about it. What is it going to do to your max I wonder?

I have no idea what my max will be like after completing this. I would hope it would be 300+. My best ever was 275 and I did that again a few months ago. I don't think it will be to substantial a boost overall but I think I'll be a tad more confident with 185 :laugh

nice one Zach, that would be quite feat to accomplish bodyweight Squats x 100

almost makes me want to try something like this somewhere in the future

NO PAIN!

I like it, Zach.

good luck! and be sure to set the safety pins. no need to get stuck at the bottom and screw something up.

brent

I wish you luck on this. the only time I ever tried to do more than 20 on squats was once in college for a performance test. I managed to get 66x275# @ 260 bw from what I remember. Well that is I got that many before I puked and quit.

- Aaron

good luck! and be sure to set the safety pins. no need to get stuck at the bottom and screw something up.

brent

You can still dump it stuck in the bottom. I have done it. And doing 20 rep squats at the time as well. My endurance is terrible. That would be a monstrous goal for me. For some stupid reason I decided to try a drop set at the end of my squats the other day. I got it down to 205, pretty much my body weight now and decided I wasn't dropping any more than that and I would go as far as I could. I wasn't counting and it was at the end of allot of heavier sets but I don't think I got much over 20 and I nearly puked after. It seems my muscles want to go one way or the other, as in stronger or endurance. I gained allot of endurance when I was doing the 20 rep squats for a while but my max went down. Now that I am lifting heavy my max has gone back up allot but now I have no endurance again. So while it may not be true for everyone, don't expect a jump in max strength from doing this kind of volume work.

I also really messed up my legs for nearly 3 weeks when I decided to do as many bw squats, not +bw, just me, with no prior workup or volume training. That really sucked and set me back allot, it took more than a month to get my strength back. Not to mention I gave myself rhabdo, http://crossfitocmd.typepad.com/crossfit_o...domyolysis.html. I was pissing brown and this can really make you sick and can even cause kidney damage. I didn't know what the hell was going on until much later. My legs were so bad I was stumbling and nearly falling just trying to hobble around at work for like a week. So take it slow and work up to that stuff for sure.

Tests such as this are not something to take lightly - as Tim has said Rhabdo is certainly possible and unless you have had it - you don't realize the very real danger involved - peeing blood or by products is not a good thing. People have died from things like this. Throwing up is not nearly as nasty but not much fun. That said it can be done with relative safety with training. The thing about tests such as this is that mentally you have to make up your mind that you simply will not stop when the misery and pain becomes very intense. It is normally a failure of will more so than a muscular failure which stops people in situations like this. Sometimes is is simply your body systems start shutting down on you to protect vital pieces and parts.

Strength endurance events like the Grivory Sport Kettlebell competitions may provide some training advice worth studying in this case. I'm sure there are other sports that require a similar approach but GS is all I can think of at the moment.

Zach seems to have a workable plan set up and an open ended time frame to get this done. My money says he makes it :rock

I also really messed up my legs for nearly 3 weeks when I decided to do as many bw squats, not +bw, just me, with no prior workup or volume training. That really sucked and set me back allot, it took more than a month to get my strength back. Not to mention I gave myself rhabdo, http://crossfitocmd.typepad.com/crossfit_o...domyolysis.html. I was pissing brown and this can really make you sick and can even cause kidney damage. I didn't know what the hell was going on until much later. My legs were so bad I was stumbling and nearly falling just trying to hobble around at work for like a week. So take it slow and work up to that stuff for sure.
Zach seems to have a workable plan set up and an open ended time frame to get this done. My money says he makes it :rock

I should mention my plan for this. I keep forgetting where I've posted it and where I haven't. My plan is to do 100 BW squats a day, no weight added, every day. I've already been doing that, or at least sets that equal 100. I plan to add weight slowly like that, 20-30lbs at a time and doing 100 reps until it's no longer a big mental fight at that weight. I know that jumping right in and trying to squat 185x100 will certainly end in failure for me right now and I would be lucky to break 70 even if I had determination the likes few have known at the time of the attempt. Reading up on Sarge's training also showed he did some 10x10 or "smashed cat squats" as he and Jesse called them. More weight will be used for the smashed cats than for the actual attempt but it's much less strenous on the body than 100 straight reps. After BBB4, I plan on making this my #1 weightlifting goal.

To those of you more versed in KB's, what do you think about higher rep swings with a 50kg KB? I'm hoping to buy one at BBB4 if John can get me a price. I would use it as a substitute for the 100rep BW squats on occasion to save my quads a bit.

I should mention my plan for this. I keep forgetting where I've posted it and where I haven't. My plan is to do 100 BW squats a day, no weight added, every day. I've already been doing that, or at least sets that equal 100. I plan to add weight slowly like that, 20-30lbs at a time and doing 100 reps until it's no longer a big mental fight at that weight. I know that jumping right in and trying to squat 185x100 will certainly end in failure for me right now and I would be lucky to break 70 even if I had determination the likes few have known at the time of the attempt. Reading up on Sarge's training also showed he did some 10x10 or "smashed cat squats" as he and Jesse called them. More weight will be used for the smashed cats than for the actual attempt but it's much less strenous on the body than 100 straight reps. After BBB4, I plan on making this my #1 weightlifting goal.

To those of you more versed in KB's, what do you think about higher rep swings with a 50kg KB? I'm hoping to buy one at BBB4 if John can get me a price. I would use it as a substitute for the 100rep BW squats on occasion to save my quads a bit.

Pavel would love it.

Just did 100 reps while holding a 50lb blob on my back. I had a headache which made this that much worse but I did manage it. I had a 10 second water break between reps 65 and 66 so it wasn't 100 straight reps but starting with 66 I didn't put the weight down until 100.

Just to reiterate a point so it isn't lost in the thread before someone can answer it:

Edited by MalachiMcMullen