Invent an exercise

Roark

Invent or modify an exercise for grip. No patent infringements

are likely here- just for fun. I will start.

You know those rubber 'bands' that are sometimes used in the

bench press? Smaller bands may be employed in this way:

Drill and tap into the bottom of each gripper handle, screw in

an 'eye' hook. Attach a strong ruber band to each eye hook

and tie the other ends to something immobile (bench uprights

for example).

The gripper will be midway between the uprights. Now close

the gripper with this added resistance.

Stronger, or more, bands can be added to help in that

intermediate resistance area as a step toward the next

harder gripper. And when you master the next gripper,

strike up the bands!

Roark-

Whats this about copyright stuff :p  :p  :D

I posted the same idea awhile back-we were talking about Westside as it could be incorperated to grip-

You thief-

Rick Walker :hehe

Sorry, Rick, I had not seen that post.

I will forthwith forward all royalities from

this stolen idea to your secret P.O. Box in

Toledo.

Perhaps great minds think alike? But the greatest

think of it first, so please excuse. ???

Well this is not an idea more of an observation and question to those out there who might be able to capitalize on my comment and come up with a way to train this way...

I recently put a new front door in our house and I have no handy man skills whatsoever.  My girlfriend's dad forced me to do the concrete for the sill.  Which brings me to my point.  Mixing and stirring hydraulic cement was wicked on my wrists and forearms.  The stirring with resistance /action is what I'm getting at here.  Could someone think of a way to mimic this without having to waste a pile of concrete on a weekly basis?  :D

Jon@han

Guest Jeff Roark

My Grandfather and Great Uncle were Masons. They both had a knott on the upper forearm right above the elbow like a huge egg. Both ahd extremely thick and strong wrists too. They used a trial all day long, I think thats the way you spell it? Could any thing be done with a tool like this, or is this simply leveraging at a higher volume low intensity?

Ya the old man was a brick layer which is why he forced me to do the sill as he hated that part of the job.  He's told me stories about how many bricks/cinder blocks the guys used to throw around like they were paperweights.  

Jon@han

One could place any type of medium in between the handles of the gripper to increase the resistance - hard foam, etc.  I suppose you could simply cut some thin slices then add as you get stronger.

As a 22 year old back in London, I used to work as a hod carrier. They have to keep the bricklayers supplied with bricks blocks and mortar. All of these materials were carried on my back, and up and down ladders once the building rose above the first story. It was crucifyingly hard work. Some of the older bricklayers had tremendous forearms. After all they were using them all day long.

Roark-

Its okay-no legal action will be taken, and that is P.O. Box 272-Toledo :D  :p

I have som eother ones I like to do with the Jump Stretch Bands-

1. I attach 2 mini bands to each side of my power cage, then wrap them around until only about 6 inches of band is on each side-I then attach my fingers to one band and my thumb to the other in the middle of the cage and pinch my fingers together.  Crazy feeling!

2. I put my power bar in the cage and put some weight on it-2 45s does the trick.  The bar is about shoulder high.  I then pad the sleeve of one end.  I put my arm flush against it, held at a 90 degree angle with my upper arm.  I grasp a purple band in my fingers, wrap it down and around the sleeve and then grasp it with my free hand and pinch it off at my elbow so there is about 4 inches of band stretched to about 15 inches.  All of the pressure is on my fiingers.  I then curl it up into a forearm curl-INTENSE!  Great forearm exercise!

Rick Walker :hehe

Roark,

I have discovered that gripping beautiful bikini babes on a regular basis has increased my grip strength tremendously! I suggest you give it a try. You may have to do this a month or so before noticing the results. Let me know how it goes!

Having no idea what a strap-hold was, I looped a cord with a 5-10lb weight hanging off of it over the finger-side of a griper.  Then, with the arm held straight down, the fingers close the gripper and lift the weight, hence adding 5 to 10lbs on to the gripper’s weight.  After learning what a strap hold really was, I preferred this other technique.  It messes with how the gripper sits in your hand, and the cord gets in the way, but training with this technique quickly closed my #2.

You could call it a gripper curl?  Gripper lift?  In any case, it's an interesting technique.

A straphold is nothing more than a negative with the added incentive and stimulus off trying not to let go of the strap. This is supposed to make you grip even harder than you would otherwise, and help you to close that last little gap. Some have used a small stack of one cent coins between the handles. Trying to in time, to use less of them.

Here's an grip exercise that also practical - crack open a walnut by placing it between the handles of your tough COC gripper and then crush!

Train smart!

In all seriousness... I am working on a new grip device right now.

And, no... I won't give out any details.  I told Richard Sorin he could develop it to a manufacture process if he decided it had any merit.  :D

This one will be easy for those out there who have a great pinching grip but I've taken to crushing cans at work with only one finger and thumb.  Can't do it with my pinky but the rest of my fingers are strong enough.  Also crushing ribbed cans (with all of my hand) is a good exercise for rookies.  I have quite a battle with "Ensure" cans and can't even really mash them all that good after 10 minutes of battle.

Jon@han

im not sure what ou uys will think of this one, but i always thought about havinit done. i take my #1 or#2 coc to a welder, i have him weld a pair of wire cutters on the inside of the coc handles, so the end that cuts the wire is oppisite the spring on the coc, ( if you can picture this). when its all done it would be like trying to shut a gripper upside down. then you find some tough wire, not only do you have to close the gripper, but also cut the wire! :hehe  it could also be done with pliars!

Sounds like you are on the cutting edge...

Can the cutters be welded without changing the

sring's temper? Or would the handles be removed

first?

One of my favorite unconventional grip exercize is bending beer bottle caps using a pinch grip.  It's not that tough; however, your drinking buddies who don't train their hands get a kick out of it.  Also, the more you drink the better workout you get.

-HH

Try holding a cork off a bottle of wine in your index finger and push against it with your thumb until it snaps.I had this idea from Mac Batchelor.The secret is to grip really hard with the index finger.

Chris