Into My First Tourney.

Chris Mathison

This is cool! Just found out that there is an AW tourney 2 hours from me so I'm throwing my hat in the ring. Problem is I have pulled maybe 10 people my whole life and that was just sitting down at chairs and drinking. I know I got the power so how can I put it together in 4 days and not get my ass handed to me? Please! any input is appreciated.

This is cool! Just found out that there is an AW tourney 2 hours from me so I'm throwing my hat in the ring. Problem is I have pulled maybe 10 people my whole life and that was just sitting down at chairs and drinking. I know I got the power so how can I put it together in 4 days and not get my ass handed to me? Please! any input is appreciated.

Good luck and have a good safe time. Don't be like Tim Parker the power house. He got lot of power but was not "broke in". Tendons were NOT fully adapted. But he was strong like an ox until he battled the pros, then "pop! there goes the bicep tendon" in losing postion. He was losing and he tried to lean backward. That 've created tremendous amount of NEGATIVE PRESSURE or negative contraction. IMO, when you lose don't lean backward if you are not at pro level yet. At least you live to fight another day. It's hard to get rid of the image of him popping the bicep.

Chris,

I highly recommend you to learn the proper technique first. The risk of very bad injury is high if you don't know the proper technique. Go to the tournament and watch it as a spectator, get in touch with the pullers and train with them.

Take care,

Flo

Chris,

I highly recommend you to learn the proper technique first. The risk of very bad injury is high if you don't know the proper technique. Go to the tournament and watch it as a spectator, get in touch with the pullers and train with them.

Take care,

Flo

Man, I can't say from experience like Florian, there, but I agree. Hook up with Wade (pun intended...). He's been pulling and I bet he'd be glad to workout with you...and I bet the other guy down there could use a break. :happy

At the very least I'd watch some vids of "break arm position" and stay out of it, optimally, I'd train with some experienced guys for a while before you enter one.

Going up against people who are likely to be as strong as you but also know what they are doing sounds like a way to get hurt to me. Treat this as a learning experience - go watch and learn - make friends and practice with them - you cannot learn to AW in four days.

Yes, when I was practicing in Houston few years back. Chris, who eventually became 165lbs State champ, alwasy took care and made sure he wouldn't hurt me. Remind me every step of the way what was going on when he "attacked" me ever so carefully. I am much stronger now but I doubt I can slow him down. Good mentor does just that! NO decent AWers wants to hurt another guy in practice. YOu can learnm to grip up with gentle pulling because you will need at least 10 days to rest for tournament any way. Definately adrillnaline gonna flows like crazy at the table!

You guys don't think that Chris should pull? Me and him were gonna go to this tournament, it is just a local thing nothing big. I know all the local guys who pull at these tournaments and only 1 of them in the 210+ class is serious about armwrestling at all, the rest of them just armwrestle like 2 small local tournaments a year for fun.

I say GO for fun, just be carful.

Im going. I think I know enough not to get injured. I cant just go and watch. I dont have it in me. I have to compete! Thanks to everyone for keeping health in mind with your advice. All I can really do is rest up my arms/hands and stay out of bad positions.

Good luck Chris 2 piece's of advice 1. keep your head and hand together don't let your hand get out side of face 2. lock that lat and take them your way go get some 3. after find some people to trian with that's the only way to get better you have to know how to apply the power. :D

warm up good stay tight try to take the guys hand when you hook up show him how strong your hands and wrist are that will throw him off pull him to you out of his grove maryland has a tournament once every 2 years some times every year if your lucky i do just fine and dont train all year for it when i was younger i never trained for it and placed third 4 years in a row because of some seasoned pros have fun you just might win and get ready for ready go practice with two hands on one good luck

Here are my tips: 1) get your elbow near the center of your body - pull it in with your lat and pec; 2) always keep your hand inside your shoulder - never turn away!; 3) do a lat pull/hammer curl combination at the go while flexing your wrist - if you can get this done the match will either go inside (hook) or outside (top roll) depending on what your oponent does; 4) see and hear the ref when he is setting you up - "ready - go" will be over and you will be pinned before you know it if you aren't totally focusing on the ref's voice; 5) pull to the corner of the table - not to the side. Good luck.

Wade

Chris, at this particular tournament the ref's do not say "ready, go!". The ref has his hands over yours and when he lfits them off you can go right away. The firts match I had both me and my opponent did not know this so when he lifted his hands we just stood there for like 2 seconds, and then he realized what happened.

I agree with Wade about tip #4: focus on seeing and hearing the ref's voice or you will be pinned so fast. That've happened to me at my first tournament, lol. IMO it's the most important tip. I've managed to catch one of them and recovered and beat him, but I did not know happened until days later when I thought about it

Thanks men! This is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the advice. I feel much better about what im going to do already.

Hey Chris!

I think you will win!

Give your best!

Mighty Joe

I took 2nd place out of 7-8 in HWY right hand. I didnt pull left because it didnt feel good after warmups. 1 guy beat me and he was very very good. I won all my other matches. It was fun and I learned alot. I hope to start practicing and do more tourneys when it doesnt interfere with strongman. Thanks for the help everyone

Congrats Chris!

I had a feeling you'd do good.

Who beat you?

Stay Strong!!!

Mighty Joe

Chris looked VERY strong and beat everybody in 1 second or less except the guy that beat him, who beat him just as quickly. Joe, you may know him, his name is Marty O'neil, he was one of the best 176lbs. pullers in the nation in the 90's. He just came out of retirement, after +/- 3 years, and is still STRONG. Marty also beat Rhett Houdek, if you know who that is.

For myself, I got 3rd left handed, did not place right, but all the best guys in the area (and one guy from Ohio who happened to be in the area and beat everybody) showed up. We have videos, too, I'll put a link on here sometime this week once I have them up on youtube.

I'm glad the tourny went so well for you! Keep up pulling!

Chris looked VERY strong and beat everybody in 1 second or less except the guy that beat him, who beat him just as quickly. Joe, you may know him, his name is Marty O'neil, he was one of the best 176lbs. pullers in the nation in the 90's. He just came out of retirement, after +/- 3 years, and is still STRONG. Marty also beat Rhett Houdek, if you know who that is.

For myself, I got 3rd left handed, did not place right, but all the best guys in the area (and one guy from Ohio who happened to be in the area and beat everybody) showed up. We have videos, too, I'll put a link on here sometime this week once I have them up on youtube.

Congrats on 3rd left Josh!

Marty O'Neil sure sounds familiar. What state was he from?

Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe

Thanks, he is from Minnesota near the Twin Cities. Marty O'neil, Rhett Houdek, Jason Remer, and Dave Bauer are all from MN, near the Twin Cities, and were big named in the 90's, and were supposedly feared by all the armwrestlers in the midwest. Jason Remer even beat John Brzenk once! But a few years ago they all quit except Dave who slowed down, and now Marty and Rhett are maybe coming back! A few guys from MN are going to the ROTN (pulling medal class, myself included) and Marty said he is gonna come! I don't know if he will be doing 198 medal or cash but we'll see what happens, are you gonna be there?

Mighty Joe

Thanks, he is from Minnesota near the Twin Cities. Marty O'neil, Rhett Houdek, Jason Remer, and Dave Bauer are all from MN, near the Twin Cities, and were big named in the 90's, and were supposedly feared by all the armwrestlers in the midwest. Jason Remer even beat John Brzenk once! But a few years ago they all quit except Dave who slowed down, and now Marty and Rhett are maybe coming back! A few guys from MN are going to the ROTN (pulling medal class, myself included) and Marty said he is gonna come! I don't know if he will be doing 198 medal or cash but we'll see what happens, are you gonna be there?

Jason Remer and David Bauer I know of for sure.

Remer was a bad boy and apparently still is.

I have a chance to go to Rotin but if I'm too heavy I'm not going.

I want to be 198, not over. Right now I'm 208.

I'll pull medal, not cash. Maybe next year I can make a showing I've

put together a program that should have me were I was in 1991 or hopefully

better and stronger. My main goal at 46 years old is to keep myself and my

training partners injury free. If I can saty injury free and keep on schedule

I should be a force to be reckoned with within 12-18 months. Time will tell.

I wish you guys well. I think you guys will do well.

Mighty Joe