Deep South Grip War

Too Tall

5th Event: Farmer's Hold for Time. HEAVY weight. 300 pounds + in each hand.

For once, let's have the grip community actually risk something and have an event that is the same as the common grip test in strongman!

Or are we just going to be content resting our reputation for grip strength on events that never show up in strongman?

Be brave!

:rock

OK - I'll be not exactly a naysayer but ask for a qualifier for this one. I cannot deadlift 600# unless the handles are pretty darn high to start with. I can hold them in my hands I think? Please just let me get them off the ground - then it will be a grip test and not a deadlift test. I'm not afraid of it but I do know what I can and cannot do body strength wise. I can farmers walk 250# per hand a short way but can't pick 300# per hand up. It's the difference between a double BW lift and a triple BW lift for you and I Rex - well, plus I'm weak :(

Oh Zack - I can rack pull over 600# but can't pick up my farmers walk bars with it on there.

A good set of farmer's handles, when loaded with 45 pound plates, is already quite high, about knee level or above for me.

But you're right. We're not testing the deadlift. So there's absolutely no problem with elevating the handles even further with a set of boards or rubber mats. In fact, a good set of rubber mats, each 1/2 thick or so, would provide us with the ability to raise or lower the handles so that the range to lockout is manageable for any able-bodied male. Just add or pull out mats as needed.

How does that sound to everyone?

-Rex

Rex - I could easily (well probably not "easily") live with that - handles vary in height of course and mine are below my knees by just enough I cannot pick the darn things up with over about 250#. I may hold them for only a few seconds but I want to at the least get them up off the ground. What size handles are you thinking of? Oh - and I am too old - but I can't convince myself to quit just yet so I'll keep using my "I'm too old" ploy as necessary but I have dozens of other excuses if needed :D .

The diameter of the farmer's walk handles that I have is about the same as that of a regular Olympic bar. Maybe slightly less. The ones I have handled in strongman competition were of a similar diameter, so something close to that.

-Rex

I don't think that prior injuries is a tired old excuse. I think some people have legit reasons why they chose not to do certain events. I think that calling them cowards is hardly productive. Some people got into grip for the very reason that it, by and large, is not as hard on the body as other strength sports.

brent

While talking with a few seasoned promoters...nobody wants to go against my right and left in grippers...so I guess we will go with strong hand only :blush

So...here is what I am thinking :rock

1 - Calibrated Grippers - 3 attempts (MMS) - Strong Hand Only!

2 - Rolling Thunder Max - 3 attempts - Strong hand only!

3 - HEAVY Medley - 20 items - 1 attempt (may have some items to load with 2 hands)

4 - 2HP - REPS - 1 attempt (this will be heavy...prolly 200#'s)

5 - 2" V Bar Max - 3 attempts - Strong Hand Only!

6 - Maybe a 6th TBA

These are some of my favorites...plenty of time to train :rock

Chad

Edited by Too Tall

While talking with a few seasoned promoters...nobody wants to go against my right and left in grippers...so I guess we will go with strong hand only :blush

So...here is what I am thinking :rock

1 - Calibrated Grippers - 3 attempts - Strong Hand Only!

2 - Rolling Thunder Max - 3 attempts - Strong hand only!

3 - HEAVY Medley - 20 items - 1 attempt (may have some items to load with 2 hands)

4 - 2HP - REPS - 1 attempt (this will be heavy...prolly 200#'s)

5 - 2" V Bar Max - 3 attempts - Strong Hand Only!

6 - Maybe a 6th TBA

These are some of my favorites...plenty of time to train :rock

Chad

I love it Chad!!! My big bro wont be happy with the medley/2HP but you have to start somewhere!!!

Chad - choice of width on the pinch? If not - how thick will it be?

Is there a solid date yet? I'd like to travel somewhere for a comp next year, and at least GA is on the right coast :D But I am low man in the department for vacation time at work and won't know until January.

Well I still plain to come even thought this hernia surgury is going to cut into my training. Be good experiance for me if you guys don't mind if I come and pick your brains and see were im at.

I'd love to do it, but traveling for comps is out for me until summer of 2011. Good luck with it!

Is there a solid date yet? I'd like to travel somewhere for a comp next year, and at least GA is on the right coast :D But I am low man in the department for vacation time at work and won't know until January.

March 28th 2009 :rock

True. I would LOVE to go to this comp. Now I just gotta find a way to pay for a round trip with the hotel. Maybe my parents can help out with the cost as a Christmas gift :cool

Dude, you are a lot stronger than some of use already...

[Thanks Matt. The problem is that I've never trained some of the events in this comp, and the ones I have trained arent nearly strong enough compared to some of the other guys (Chad is a freak in every event, Wes is a monster with grippers and RT and probably the rest of the events, Andrew D is a beast, etc...). Its not like Im expecting to win, but its alot of money for me to travel all the way down there when Im not half-way decent in any of the events. But like Chad said, I have plenty of time to bring up the weaknesses so we'll see. It comes down to whether or not I can convince my parents to let me go

Fair points. The contest would be fun, but looking at the events, as well as the cost of travel, I will probably not be going either.

True. I would LOVE to go to this comp. Now I just gotta find a way to pay for a round trip with the hotel. Maybe my parents can help out with the cost as a Christmas gift :cool

Dude, you are a lot stronger than some of use already...

Thanks Matt. The problem is that I've never trained some of the events in this comp, and the ones I have trained arent nearly strong enough compared to some of the other guys (Chad is a freak in every event, Wes is a monster with grippers and RT and probably the rest of the events, Andrew D is a beast, etc...). Its not like Im expecting to win, but its alot of money for me to travel all the way down there when Im not half-way decent in any of the events. But like Chad said, I have plenty of time to bring up the weaknesses so we'll see. It comes down to whether or not I can convince my parents to let me go

You should come to ACGS instead then ;) It's around the same time frame and the events are more suited for a new guy to comps, this seems to be more suited towards strong, veterans. Plus Arizona is awesome :laugh

You should come to ACGS instead then ;) It's around the same time frame and the events are more suited for a new guy to comps, this seems to be more suited towards strong, veterans. Plus Arizona is awesome :laugh

Believe me, I wanted to, but My boss is on vacation then, which means I'm not...

• 4 months later...
5th Event: Farmer's Hold for Time. HEAVY weight. 300 pounds + in each hand.

For once, let's have the grip community actually risk something and have an event that is the same as the common grip test in strongman!

Or are we just going to be content resting our reputation for grip strength on events that never show up in strongman?

Be braveand !

:rock

Glad u said it , I've been waiting for this, strongman is what got me involved in grip trix, and the reason I do it is to help me in strongman events, actually. Maby I'm the only one, or am I?

Rico

Not going to be able to make this any more have a wedding to go to that day and will be down in GA the 13-16th to check out were I will be living. Hope to catch the next one!

This is an old thread.

New thread is the "1st Annual Woodall Challenge"

Ok so the date and comp changed great I will make it!!