Deep South Grip War

Too Tall

I am thinking more like March...because I think Feb. and April will be full and I do not want a conflict with another comp...plus it is so darn expensive to travel and two comps in the same month would be tough.

I would like for this to be a STRONG comp with a lot of heavy hitters and maybe bring some of the grip stars from the past back :rock There will be cash prizes for the Top guys...and I am trying to work it out that whoever is in the Top 3 will win enough to offset some if not all of your travel costs...so keep this in mind when planning your trip. There will be LOTS of food after and drink and a facility to hold us all and the events already set up to keep things moving.

There has been LOTS of talk about hand sizes and weight classes...and I have chimed in a few times myself trying to make guys happy and make things fair. But, this cannot be done! I think if 6 events are spread out across the board that it can be any man's game to win...you just have to work hard and go after it FULL steam ahead :rock

With this in mind...I am changing some of the events around to suit all that want to play ball :rock

I am also getting a head judge so that I can compete in this kick ass contest :rock

This comp is 6 months away...so PLENTY of time to get ready :rock

This will be an OPEN contest...so anybody from over seas are welcome :rock

Events:

1 - Calibrated Gripper's - right and left contested - 3 attempts

2 - 2hp for reps - 1 attempt (weight not yet determined)

3 - OHDL Max - 3 attempts (using 1.25" D-Ring Handle / and RT loading pin)

4 - 2" V Bar Max - 3 attempts (FBBC rules)

5 - RT Max - 3 attempts (seasoned handle)

6 - 20 Item Medley - 1 attempt

Chad

Where is this going to take place?

It would indeed be helpful to have an address or city at least to google :)

Chad, I believe the Arnold will be held from the 5th-8th of March, so you should have better attendance if you plan around that as well.

Chad, I believe the Arnold will be held from the 5th-8th of March, so you should have better attendance if you plan around that as well.

Thanks...I will definately have it later that month then.

How does the 21st or 28th sound for everyone?

Either date is good for me. Is the gripper event still MMS?

I may be the weakest competitor to ever compete :blush.

Yes, still MMS for sure!

i like it and should be able to make it down

Great :rock

I dont know if you will be the weakest I may be but hey we can compete against each other!! The date sounds good for me this would be my first grip contest!!! I am there

I'll be there. Awesome selection of events :rock

I figured that the events would grab you Wes :rock Be glad to have you :D

• 5 weeks later...

I know it is early...BUT if you are fairly certain that you are going to compete...PLEASE PM me so that I can get a true head count.

This comp is going to have some HEAVY events...and I want those that are truly serious and willing to train for this comp.

The comp date will be the end of March...still deciding between the 21st and the 28th.

I have some different thoughts on events...but these events are still a go.

1 - Calibrated Grippers - Right and Left hand contested

2 - Rolling Thunder Max - Strong hand only

3 - HEAVY Medley - 20 items (may have some items to load with 2 hands)

4 - 2HP - REPS (this will be heavy)

5 - ???

6 - ???

Chad

I know it is early...BUT if you are fairly certain that you are going to compete...PLEASE PM me so that I can get a true head count.

This comp is going to have some HEAVY events...and I want those that are truly serious and willing to train for this comp.

The comp date will be the end of March...still deciding between the 21st and the 28th.

I have some different thoughts on events...but these events are still a go.

1 - Calibrated Grippers - Right and Left hand contested

2 - Rolling Thunder Max - Strong hand only

3 - HEAVY Medley - 20 items (may have some items to load with 2 hands)

4 - 2HP - REPS (this will be heavy)

5 - ???

6 - ???

Chad

Time wise - contesting both hands on grippers will take as long as 2 regular events - MMS?

2 HP - do we still get to choose our width of choice or will it be one setup for all?

5th Event: Farmer's Hold for Time. HEAVY weight. 300 pounds + in each hand.

For once, let's have the grip community actually risk something and have an event that is the same as the common grip test in strongman!

Or are we just going to be content resting our reputation for grip strength on events that never show up in strongman?

Be brave!

:rock

Edited by The Natural

For once, let's have the grip community actually risk something and have an event that is the same as the common grip test in strongman!

Or are we just going to be content resting our reputation for grip strength on events that never show up in strongman?

Be brave!

Agreed!!! Come on guys, even I can pick 300+ per hand and while holding or walking with them for time is a different animal, if I can do it, there are at least 3 dozen other guys on here capable of the same thing if not more. 300 per hand is not the same as holding 600lbs at lockout in a rack, it's easier. I know for sure it is because I can pick the 300/hand but not rack pull 600 :blush

Chad, I wish I could give you a definitive answer right now, but I wont be able to for some time. I really want to head down and if I do, I might be coming with my brother. Perhaps Andrew would be interested in a carpool if he's not flying?...

Be brave!

Agreed!!! Come on guys, even I can pick 300+ per hand and while holding or walking with them for time is a different animal, if I can do it, there are at least 3 dozen other guys on here capable of the same thing if not more. 300 per hand is not the same as holding 600lbs at lockout in a rack, it's easier. I know for sure it is because I can pick the 300/hand but not rack pull 600 :blush

Chad, I wish I could give you a definitive answer right now, but I wont be able to for some time. I really want to head down and if I do, I might be coming with my brother. Perhaps Andrew would be interested in a carpool if he's not flying?...

Yes! Another gripster who doesn't fall back on that tired old excuse of "I'm too old! I'm not in good shape! That tests too much fully body to be a grip event".

Notice, fellas, that the farmer's hold is not a thick-bar event. So you can't whine about it being an event based on hand size.

Zach, like I said, you and your crew are welcome to stay at my place in Georgia if you all come down. Andrew too.

If housing is not available for all of you inside the Southern mansion, we can probably stick one or two of you in the slave quarters.

-Rex

Be brave!

OK - I'll be not exactly a naysayer but ask for a qualifier for this one. I cannot deadlift 600# unless the handles are pretty darn high to start with. I can hold them in my hands I think? Please just let me get them off the ground - then it will be a grip test and not a deadlift test. I'm not afraid of it but I do know what I can and cannot do body strength wise. I can farmers walk 250# per hand a short way but can't pick 300# per hand up. It's the difference between a double BW lift and a triple BW lift for you and I Rex - well, plus I'm weak :(

Oh Zack - I can rack pull over 600# but can't pick up my farmers walk bars with it on there.

Edited by climber511

Be brave!

OK - I'll be not exactly a naysayer but ask for a qualifier for this one. I cannot deadlift 600# unless the handles are pretty darn high to start with. I can hold them in my hands I think? Please just let me get them off the ground - then it will be a grip test and not a deadlift test. I'm not afraid of it but I do know what I can and cannot do body strength wise. I can farmers walk 250# per hand a short way but can't pick 300# per hand up. It's the difference between a double BW lift and a triple BW lift for you and I Rex - well, plus I'm weak :(

Oh Zack - I can rack pull over 600# but can't pick up my farmers walk bars with it on there.

A good set of farmer's handles, when loaded with 45 pound plates, is already quite high, about knee level or above for me.

But you're right. We're not testing the deadlift. So there's absolutely no problem with elevating the handles even further with a set of boards or rubber mats. In fact, a good set of rubber mats, each 1/2 thick or so, would provide us with the ability to raise or lower the handles so that the range to lockout is manageable for any able-bodied male. Just add or pull out mats as needed.

How does that sound to everyone?

-Rex

Zach, like I said, you and your crew are welcome to stay at my place in Georgia if you all come down. Andrew too.

If housing is not available for all of you inside the Southern mansion, we can probably stick one or two of you in the slave quarters.

-Rex

I greatly appreciate it man and I'll run it by the others :rock :rock :rock

How paradoxical! Perhaps it's because your so much taller than me and locking out most FW handles still requires a good ROM for you?

With the handles I used it was very much a grip test. Though I only used one once, I can say it was very similar to locking out a hex bar/trap bar deadlift from just above the knees and with the added wobbly effect.

Be brave!

A good set of farmer's handles, when loaded with 45 pound plates, is already quite high, about knee level or above for me.

But you're right. We're not testing the deadlift. So there's absolutely no problem with elevating the handles even further with a set of boards or rubber mats. In fact, a good set of rubber mats, each 1/2 thick or so, would provide us with the ability to raise or lower the handles so that the range to lockout is manageable for any able-bodied male. Just add or pull out mats as needed.

How does that sound to everyone?

-Rex

Rex - I could easily (well probably not "easily") live with that - handles vary in height of course and mine are below my knees by just enough I cannot pick the darn things up with over about 250#. I may hold them for only a few seconds but I want to at the least get them up off the ground. What size handles are you thinking of? Oh - and I am too old - but I can't convince myself to quit just yet so I'll keep using my "I'm too old" ploy as necessary but I have dozens of other excuses if needed :D .

I'm in. Since you have already stated this is going to be a heavy comp, there will be entire events where I cant do anything with it which will be a bummer. The 300 per hand would prob be another thing I could not do maybe not becase of my hand strength but because when I was going for 3x bw on deads last year I did something to my left knee and haven't touched a weight seriously since. Dont get me wrong trying to hold onto almost 2x bw per hand sounds a great deal of fun but I would hate not to be able to do any more events.

Either way im all for w/e, but im not coming just to stand around and look.