Weight Classes

Bob Lipinski

A lot of good discussion but I really wasn't asking permission to have two weight classes - I'm trying something as a promoter I have really given a lot of thought to in hopes of growing the sport. If it works out - fine - if not I at least tried. Hopefully other promoters will try whatever ideas they come up with as well to make a better sport for all of us.

Overall bigger people are stronger than smaller people and no one is ever going to convince me otherwise - every strength sport in the world proves that day after day and grip is no different. At 200# I don't take pride in beating my rock climbing buddies who weigh 140# in grip strength - I can't imagine that Chad, Jedd, Mob, or David et al want to compete against only guys much inferior to them - where's the pride in winning in that situation? Two divisions isn't much - let's give it a try and see what happens.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• jad

• MalachiMcMullen

• Bob Lipinski

Top Posters In This Topic

Two divisions isn't much - let's give it a try and see what happens.

I am all about this idea and I feel many others are too. I think it will bring in more guys just due to the fact that you might have a chance to win a small division. I like competing

against anyone but when you know, before the contest even starts, you don't have a remote chance of winning due to your size. It takes a little bit of the fun out of it. I hate going

into a game thinking that way but you just do and your fooling yourself if you don't.

sports have divisions to make it equal, fun and competitive for all to a point.

A lot of good discussion but I really wasn't asking permission to have two weight classes

I love it! We need more of that :rock

Hey Chris, didn't mean to come across that way by starting the thread!

I was thinking more along the direction of "where should the sport go in the future".

I'm not really for or against a weight classed comp, I'd rather compete against the strongest, as when I competed regularly in Strongman. Most of the time I gave up 80-100 lbs against the pro guys I competed with, but that's the way I liked it, I preferred to really know where I stood. Heck, I got to compete against Magnus ver & lots of others.

I think if you want to do weight classes, you might offer the option for the lighter guys to compete in the higher class if they choose. Same thing with hand size. Offer the option for the smaller handed guys to compete with the large hand group if they choose. To me, the hand size makes more sense, but for the guys that are newer & don't know that, being in a weight class might make more sense.

The heavier guys could always drop down to 207lbs and below and prove that the weight classes are null and void. That would be pretty interesting to see some of the 250lbs+ guys shuffling in at a skeletal weight and still kicking our asses, haha! But if bodyweight has absolutely no bearing on grip strength there might be some takers.

I may get laughed at for the following comments, but I don't care. I have a theory that the heavier a guy gets (mostly muscle of course) the stronger his grip can get. Not necessarily because of increased size of the muscles responsible for grip strength. Maybe it's more of an irradiation effect that Pavel talks about. Although he's not referring to my theory of course. It often seems to be one of those get stronger overall and more grip strength will follow. Sometimes without even training it.

Almost everyone responding is a regular competitor and I'm sure will be no matter what we do or don't do. My goal is to bring more people into the competition side of our sport. Jedd and Smitty tried hand sizes and it seemingly didn't bring new people into the sport even though it made for a nice division without compromising the ability to have events that favor big hands too much - I liked it and still like it but I don't think people outside our little group had any understanding of it at all. Weight classes on the other hand are something that about any athlete is familiar with. And with the checking I have done with just the lists of competitors from various comps - big hands and big people (weight) go together fairly well overall. The problem with these discussions is that with so many varied opinions - nothing ever changes - which seems to be what some people want for what ever reason. Last year at Gripmas - the only event with any hand size advantage at all was Axle - so I can't change events much more than I have for this year. Buy even taking out the hand size issue as much as possible - the big guys still dominate. Something I don't understand is why all the people against this idea are all bigger guys - that won't be affected anyway - what's up with that?

Chris,

I've put quite a lot of energy into putting on a contest (although it never came to fruition) - I hope my comment never came across as not "giving you permission" to run weight classes - hell, you can do whatever you like, and I hope you every sucess. But even if the sport took off on weight classes, it still wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Chris,

I've put quite a lot of energy into putting on a contest (although it never came to fruition) - I hope my comment never came across as not "giving you permission" to run weight classes - hell, you can do whatever you like, and I hope you every sucess. But even if the sport took off on weight classes, it still wouldn't be my cup of tea.

No - your post and all the others came across just fine - I was just cranky I guess and tired of hearing why I shouldn't try something to hopefully better the sport. The oldest promoter (me) and the youngest one (Zack) both trying the same idea - what's the odds?

And even if it hasn't turned out to be "your cup of tea" - I value your opinion.

Chris,

No - your post and all the others came across just fine - I was just cranky I guess and tired of hearing why I shouldn't try something to hopefully better the sport. The oldest promoter (me) and the youngest one (Zack) both trying the same idea - what's the odds?

And even if it hasn't turned out to be "your cup of tea" - I value your opinion.

Ha, I hadn't thought of that little tidbit! What a coincidence.

Why not just have 7 events to be contested. Have 3 that favor SH and 3 that favor LH. And 1 last event that could go either way like grippers mm set, 1" V bar, OHDL olympic bar ect... ect...

Yeah it may take a little longer that day...or split it into 2 days. I say 1 long day is fine. I think that would be fair and that way we can have just one open comp.

There are a lot of strong guys on this board that could compete that way...trust me I have seen them...and they are not all 6'7 285 and 9 inch hands.

Just a thought :D

Different divisions do not interest me at all. The point to a competition, to me, is to bring out the best performance humanly possible for the person competing. Who cares what someone else did? It only matters what you do. If I pulled 350 on the Axle and came in 8th place, I would be happier than if I pulled 325 and came in first place of a Geezer category.

I honestly do not comprehend why this matters to anyone.

********************************************************************************

That being said, I do have a Modest Proposal. I am extremely interested in a Geezer Grip Contest (GGC) with "over 50s" from around the world - - Andy Christie from England, Odd Haugen from Norway, Chris Rice from Ohio (that's a country right?), me from California, and Richard Sorin from SC. Have a standard event or two, and then one favorite selected by each of the other competitors (Haugen picks Axle, Sorin picks Blobs, etc). Everyone in a common group for a unique contest, sounds fun. And yes, there could be a separate contest for "Seven and 3/4 inch hands and less" somewhere, and don't have it open to other people. There could be an "under five foot eleven contest", there could be an "under 185 pound contest", etc. These could be fun, which is what these things should be at this point in our "sport".

So I guess I am proposing that some promoters could have a "Special Olympics" for some contests: Geezers, Small Handed Guys, Skinny Guys, etc. I suppose they would be like "women's clubs" or "ethnic clubs" that exist throughout our society, universities, etc. People getting together and hanging out with those who share something in common. Yes, SEGREGATED GROUPS. A Modest Proposal, as I said. I profess, in the sincerity of my heart, that I have not the least personal interest in endeavoring to promote this necessary work.

********************************************************************************

But to be breaking general contests into groups - - I don't get it. We don't make distinctions for the Decathlon, which by the nature of the multiple events, is similar to a grip contest. Personally, at this stage in the sport, I still want to compete with the best, and not be given a handicap. But if you are going to make distinctions by physical characteristic, then why don't you just come out and admit that you are a Special Olympics type of competitor, and hold a separate contest for it.

IM Hubgeezer

In a years time - I probably compete in one thing or another as often as most people on here. I compete where we have weight classes - age classes - hand size classes - and grip where it's all comers - and I love it all. I've done climbing competitions - Highland Games - Olympic lifting comps - Power lifting - foot races - bike races - strongman - triathlons - motorcycle races of different kinds - track and field - Archery - HS sports etc etc. And if someone says let's do something I've never tried before next weekend - I'll probably go do that as well. This is not about me - and it's not about any of you guys who would probably show up if your neighbor threw a spit ball contest with a beer as the prize. It's about bringing people into a sport that I for one love enough to want to see others get involved in that for one reason or another have not been willing to come to a grip contest. I want to find that reason - address it - and try to get them involved. This is the promoter in me talking - as a competitor - you put it on and if I can I will be there - as I believe I have shown. I'll be there if I think I can win and I'll be there if I know I'll be last by a mile. I'll compete with any age, any height, any weight, any hand size and I'll have fun. It's has been a lifelong privilege to be able to compete in physical activities - many unfortunately cannot - and a special privilege when you don't know how many more you might have left - I want more people to experience that feeling and if somehow that bothers many of you on here, I am sorry. In my defense - I am doing something about the problem - I am trying - however misguided you may believe I am. What are you doing?

This is why I love Chris. He hates to watch sports. He tells me." Why do I want to watch someone have fun when I can go out and have fun myself." He lives his life this way. I say try it all and see if it works or not. I know he has put a lot of thought in how to get poeple to come out. This may not work, but it is worth a try. I think if you can get people to come out they will be back. I felt out of place going to my first GGC. I had only been doing grip stuff for 4 or 5 months ,but after it was over I was so glade I went. If this gets a few people out that wouldn't of come otherwise Awesome. You get them there, they will be back.

And Mike - to even be considered in the same vein as Odd, Andy, and Richard is quite an honor - those guys are legends in the world of strength. Thanks!

PS I choose climbing for my event :D

Edited by climber511

And Mike - to even be considered in the same vein as Odd, Andy, and Richard is quite an honor - those guys are legends in the world of strength. Thanks!

PS I choose climbing for my event :D

Right now, not that many over 50s in the sport. :D I say hold the event at Sorinex, sorta central for everyone.

In my defense - I am doing something about the problem - I am trying - however misguided you may believe I am. What are you doing?

Aren't you just the quotable one today :happy Well said.

Let's call the whole thing off.

Agreed