If You Could See Any Supermatch...

darthsith19

There's another great hardly ever mentioned and that's Scott Norton.

Brzenk told me at Europa last year that Scott was just as strong as

Lupkes. He was always worried when Scott showed up.

Just a little history.

Mighty Joe

I saw on armtv back in the 80's, one year Scott Norton took off. Lupkes won worlds and afterwards Norton pulled him just for fun, and Lupkes smashed him 3 times in a row right after winning worlds! I don't know about today. I've never seen a Cleve vs. Lupkes match but I have to assume that they've pulled each other before, both being top heavyweights and all. But Brzenk says Lupkes has the strongest arm he's ever gone against, not Cleve. This was said on one of the ask John Brzenk pages.

What is also worth mentioning, is the weight of everyone mentioned here... Lukpes, 300 pounds of pure muscle... Gary G. about 260-270 I believe? Voevoda was 260-270? ... John has spent over 20 years pulling 198 and heavy classes so he could win more classes and make more money at tourneys. And he's like 6'2", it's not like he could not pack on some more muscle, actually he did in 2006 at the time around Mohegan Sun he was 230-ish and the way he absolutely toyed with everyone in that period was amazing. We all saw the "Boomtown" video in which he absolutely dominates Marcio. And others have told me they saw him beat everyone else very easily during that period, which lasted briefly as he again dieted down to 198 or so.

Yes, I'm a JB fan :D

Goodridge now is 250 but not ALL muscle:

http://www.k-1.co.jp/k-1gp/images/fighter/gary_goodridge.jpg

I think I read that he was 235 or something back in his armwrestling days, could be wrong, though.

I would like to see Mariusz Pudzianowski VS Ronnie Coleman in a Supermatch.

:rock Good one.

I would put money on Mariusz Pudzianowski, because strongman involves more grip strength than bodybuilding does, and Coleman's grip probably isn't good. But there's a good chance someone would break their arm.

Edited by Josh H

I would put money on Mariusz Pudzianowski, because strongman involves more grip strength than bodybuilding does, and Coleman's grip probably isn't good. But there's a good chance someone would break their arm.

Wrong answer! Ronnie Colemans grip is off the charts!

I know for a fact his hands are brutally strong.

He lacked less than an 1/8" shutting a #3 gripper

with no-set at all. Closed my #2 18 slow, full reps

in 1996. He stopped at that point and asked me how

many I wanted him to do.

Ronnie is strong at anything.

Mighty Joe

LOL, "Coleman's grip probably isn't good" haha :rock :rock

There was a member of this board, I think called BigPaulFromCityHall (or something along those lines) that posted pics of some cast 1-piece huge dumbells he had made, and took them to the gym Ronnie trains, and he lifted one of them, which was similar to an Inch DB or something in specs (not sure about that).. so yeah, his grip must be VERY strong, contrary to popular belief.

Ronnie is a bodybuilder, but very strong from what I've seen.. 800+ DL and his 200lb dumbell bench press for 12 reps are awesome.

Sorry, I take that back then. Because grip isn't essential to bodybuilding, I just thought it more lilely that Coleman's grip was "weak" than strong. Notice though I said his grip probably isn't good, leaving room for self doubt.

Wrong answer! Ronnie Colemans grip is off the charts!

I know for a fact his hands are brutally strong.

He lacked less than an 1/8" shutting a #3 gripper

with no-set at all. Closed my #2 18 slow, full reps

in 1996. He stopped at that point and asked me how

many I wanted him to do.

Ronnie is strong at anything.

Mighty Joe

That wasn't just any #3, either. That was a really hard #3 that Clay failed to close the year prior. Randall said Ronnie clamped it down to 1/8-1/16 with no set!

Also, there's

, where's he competing against Rene, so his strength is right up there, too.

Another cool one (I think) would be Coleman vs. Kovacs. Kovacs would have the arm power, but Ronnie's got the grip! Greg's grip is lousy proportioned to his other strengths, and I'm betting that Ronnie has stronger wrists, so that would be a good one.

Edited by Magnus

This is like watching both of them playing tennis. Not interested for me. There are clips of bodybuilders AWing on youtube. But it's very boring to watch. Ronnie Coleman was a power lifter before he got in bb, wasn't he? I saw a pic of a bodybuilder who looks like RC, wrestled against a amateur AWer and he looked like he struggled a lot and still lost, not sure it was him. However he was a lot bigger than the AWer.

Dennis C. video against AP is awesome. He look too strong with left arm. BUt the video is about 3 months old on youtube.

There was a member of this board, I think called BigPaulFromCityHall (or something along those lines) that posted pics of some cast 1-piece huge dumbells he had made, and took them to the gym Ronnie trains, and he lifted one of them, which was similar to an Inch DB or something in specs (not sure about that).. so yeah, his grip must be VERY strong, contrary to popular belief.

Ronnie is a bodybuilder, but very strong from what I've seen.. 800+ DL and his 200lb dumbell bench press for 12 reps are awesome.

Haha very coincidental I saw this. That gym is in Irving, TX (I think? Dallas area anyway) and Paul Knight went there to train with that DB, he has pics in his gallery and videos on his youtube of him lifting it. It has a 2.5" handle and weights 175 but the ends are cylindrical so it's quite a bit easier, especially since you can easily brace your hand against the bell.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Haha very coincidental I saw this. That gym is in Irving, TX (I think? Dallas area anyway) and Paul Knight went there to train with that DB, he has pics in his gallery and videos on his youtube of him lifting it. It has a 2.5" handle and weights 175 but the ends are cylindrical so it's quite a bit easier, especially since you can easily brace your hand against the bell.

Derek, That was Metroflex Gym in Arlington, TX buddy.

• 11 months later...

Many supematches would be fun to see. But right now if I had to see any 1, it would be Ron Bath vs. Denis Cyplenkov. But I'd also like to see:

Denis vs. Travis right and left, or vs. Rich Lupkes

Rich vs. Michael Todd

Andrey Pushkar vs. Ron Bath

John Brzenk vs. Arsen Liliev at 209 lbs. or no weight limit

Devon vs. Dave Randall (which is happening)

John, Andrey Pushkar, or Arsen vs. Dave Randall

Tim Bresnan vs. Ion Oncescu

Yoshi Kania vs. Rich Lupkes or Ron Bath

Nick Zinna vs. Ion Oncescu

Yes I am a lightweight but I like watching the top heavyweights in the world pull each other!

Edited by Josh H

John Brzenk vs Alexey Voevoda

Arsen Liliev vs Rustam Babayev

and

Alexey Voevoda vs Devon Larratt

I go with:

Right handed:

Brzenk vs Liliev

Lupkes vs Randall

Larratt vs Voevoda (2003-2004 shape)

Babayev vs Zoloev

Left handed:

Bagent vs Cyplenkov

Todd vs Puskar

Impossible matches:

Samuelsson vs Ciplenkov

Dean (his best) vs Karaev (his best)

I would point the attention to the doping problem... (impossible matches a part)

If I suppose to make a doping test in a range of 3months before these matches

naturally without know when for sure....

How many matches we will see?? :dry

I'd put money on Randall beating Lupkes as far as Pushkar and Michael Todd left handed... might as well go right it'd be the same imho, Pushkar beat Brzenk easily in 2007 and beat Marcio Barboza convincingly at the 2008 Worlds, I think he's look Michael in the eye and put him down. The rest would be super exciting though! And Dave Randall vs. Rich Lupkes would be great, too, don't get me wrong but I think Dave would press him down.

Right handed:

John Brzenk vs Dave Randall

Devon Larratt vs Alexey Voevoda

Arsen Lilive vs Denis Cyplenkov or Richard Lupkes (if same class)

Left handed:

Travis Bagent vs Denis Cyplenkov

Rustam Babayev vs John brzenk (if same class)

ALL MATCH POSSIBLE ? LOL :cool

Lets say you had the opportunity to set up a 6-round supermatch with ANY 2 people. Who would you set it up between, and specify right hand or left.

My supermatch pick would be:

Denis Cyplenkov vs. Travis Bagent in a left hand match (though a right hand between them would probably be good too).

Another good one I think might be Dave Randall vs. Cyplenkov right handed.

i asked Travis about pulling Dennis when i talked to him at the harley pull but all he said was he liked the fact that there was a guy out there that he hasnt beat yet :D He then tried to get me to pull him for 250$ but i dont like to just throw away money :D I think Travis is borred[sp?] with not having tough competition LH