If You Could See Any Supermatch...

darthsith19

Lets say you had the opportunity to set up a 6-round supermatch with ANY 2 people. Who would you set it up between, and specify right hand or left.

My supermatch pick would be:

Denis Cyplenkov vs. Travis Bagent in a left hand match (though a right hand between them would probably be good too).

Another good one I think might be Dave Randall vs. Cyplenkov right handed.

I'd pick Cyplenkov and Bagent lefty, but only for kicks, since I don't think Travis would stand much of a chance.

Righty, I'd pick Cyplenkov vs. Voevoda/Brzenk/Lupkes

Can't make up my mind on that one :D

Edited by Magnus

I believe Brzenk and Lupkes would beat him right handed, and Voevoda doesn't currently compete so I'm not sure how he'd do. Lupkes would probably be a good match with Cyplenkov but last February he beat Brzenk and Bresnan and at Nationals he was unstoppable in the 243+ class until he tore his bicep (while in a winning position).

Edited by Josh H

I'd pick Cyplenkov and Bagent lefty, but only for kicks, since I don't think Travis would stand much of a chance.

Righty, I'd pick Cyplenkov vs. Voevoda/Brzenk/Lupkes

Can't make up my mind on that one :D

YOu seemed to favor anyone who is a strongman first, regardless credential history. I pick Travis ove Cyplenkov because his tactical style. Why don't you pit your Magnus Samuelson over Cyplenkov too? just curious, not too long ago you picked MS over Brzenk, didn't you? just a question you know.

John Brzenk and Mac Batchler IF we could

go back in time.

Living. John Brzenk and Cyplenkov.

Mighty Joe

Magnus Samuelson vs. the russian national champ with half the bodyweight of Magnus, so about 75kg (current champ: Zoloyev Khadzhimurat).

YOu seemed to favor anyone who is a strongman first, regardless credential history. I pick Travis ove Cyplenkov because his tactical style. Why don't you pit your Magnus Samuelson over Cyplenkov too? just curious, not too long ago you picked MS over Brzenk, didn't you? just a question you know.

Cyplenkov has already proven himself to be far better than Magnus ever has. Toying with Pushkar, easily defeating Semerenko, and Voevoda >>> Earning one National Title (Magnus).

230lb# Brzenk vs. In his prime Cleve Dean :rock

Cleve would win I think. Cleve in his prime was several years before John came along to dominate the sport. Before John...Cleve could not be stopped :rock Cleve and my dad were on the same armwrestling team back in the late 70's. Cleve was a rock solid 375-400 pounds back then.

You've got me completely wrong I don't care if they've been a strongman or not. I've since changed my mind about Samuelsson vs. Brzenk. I first chose Magnus when I was a kind of a newb, but I've now completely changed my mind. I now think Magnus wouldn't be much of a challenge for any of the top AWers But my picking Cyplenkov has NOTHING to do with the fact that he was a strongman. When I see that Voevoda can't pull him, I wanna see what he can do with the best, regardless of his past career. When I hear it said that "his left is strong enough now, I think he could defeat everyone", I wanna see what he can do with the best lefty. I think Denis would quickly beat Magnus in an armwrestling match, but Magnus would destroy him in a strongman competition. That has nothing to do with why I picked Denis. I don't even think of him as a strongman. I picked him because I'm curious to see how he'd do against the tops.

But Magnus is still king :rock:D

Edited by Magnus

The greatest of them all Gary Goodrich against anyone you care to name.

Man that's a blast from the past !!!! :D

Gary Goodrich once told me he could never beat Lupkes.

Thought you might want to know that.

Mighty Joe

You've got me completely wrong I don't care if they've been a strongman or not. I've since changed my mind about Samuelsson vs. Brzenk. I first chose Magnus when I was a kind of a newb, but I've now completely changed my mind. I now think Magnus wouldn't be much of a challenge for any of the top AWers But my picking Cyplenkov has NOTHING to do with the fact that he was a strongman. When I see that Voevoda can't pull him, I wanna see what he can do with the best, regardless of his past career. When I hear it said that "his left is strong enough now, I think he could defeat everyone", I wanna see what he can do with the best lefty. I think Denis would quickly beat Magnus in an armwrestling match, but Magnus would destroy him in a strongman competition. That has nothing to do with why I picked Denis. I don't even think of him as a strongman. I picked him because I'm curious to see how he'd do against the tops.

But Magnus is still king :rock:D

I agree about MS would beat DC in stronman game. I am MS fan too. Maybe DC is stronger than TRavis B. but Travis is very tactical especially left hand. He frustrates people with his antic and next thing you know he flashed them so fast. Grap the hand and let it go and re-grip and then laugh and re-grip, the opponent seemed to not know for sure when he grips for real... and bam! he hit super fast next grip. I am sure even DC can regain control once his hand is too far down top rolled. TB plays with people's mind too

Mighty Joe

Alright, then I think my final decision for a right-hand match is Cyplenkov vs. Lupkes! Or maybe Voevoda vs. Lupkes, or....meh, maybe I'm still undecided :tongue

Mighty Joe

I have seen videos of Lupkes beating Goodridge quickly. Though I have also seen videos of Lupkes (back in the 80's) beating Brzenk in just a couple seconds, but supposedly, Brzenk also had at least one victory over Lupkes in the 80's.

Alright, then I think my final decision for a right-hand match is Cyplenkov vs. Lupkes! Or maybe Voevoda vs. Lupkes, or....meh, maybe I'm still undecided :tongue

Denis is clearly one of the best righties, but he said he only wants to go left at Zloty which makes you wonder, why not right as well? He also didn't go right with Pushkar. Which makes me think that Lupkes would beat him.

Lupkes in his prime vs. Voevoda in his prime would be good. Brzenk says Lupkes has the strongest arm he's ever gone against.

John Brzenk and Mac Batchler IF we could

go back in time.

Living. John Brzenk and Cyplenkov.

Mighty Joe

I agree with that top one. :)

I agree about MS would beat DC in stronman game. I am MS fan too. Maybe DC is stronger than TRavis B. but Travis is very tactical especially left hand. He frustrates people with his antic and next thing you know he flashed them so fast. Grap the hand and let it go and re-grip and then laugh and re-grip, the opponent seemed to not know for sure when he grips for real... and bam! he hit super fast next grip. I am sure even DC can regain control once his hand is too far down top rolled. TB plays with people's mind too

I love Travis' tactic :laugh. I would pick Cyplenkov vs. Bagent left. I think Travis would beat him with technique.

Lupkes never did pull Cleve that I know of.

John beat Goodrich once or twice in the 80's and

maybe once with Lupkes.

Also, Mac Batchlor never lost a single match in his career.

This was before technique came along but Mac's strength

is legendary indeed.

Besides Mac, I believe Cleve Dean has the longest winning streak

without a loss in AW history.

There's another great hardly ever mentioned and that's Scott Norton.

Brzenk told me at Europa last year that Scott was just as strong as

Lupkes. He was always worried when Scott showed up.

Just a little history.

Mighty Joe

Just for the heck of it :) I don't know if anybody has seen these yet...I thought it was pretty cool.

Cyplenkov vs. Pushkar Left-handed

Edited by Magnus

I have done some questioning and have found the following:

Brzenk beat Lupkes in a Petaluma tournament, not sure about the year.

THen, at a Yukon Jack, they pulled twice, and each guy one once, and then Lupkes withdrew with a shoulder injury. I am not sure about the following statement, but I think someone who was there once talked about this match in the northeast AW board and said something similar to "I remember Brzenk almost ripping Lupkes arm off at a tournament", but I cannot be sure if that person was refering to this match. However, Lukpes retired in like, 1991??? I think Brzenk had not peaked by then? I could be corrected.

It also worth mentining here, since someone said "the greatest of them all, Gary Goodridge", that Brzenk has beaten Gary about 3 times more than the other way around. I don't have exact numbers but have asked the man himself, and other world champs. :) (yeah, I like annoying people with useless questions just for fun, from time to time! :D )

What is also worth mentioning, is the weight of everyone mentioned here... Lukpes, 300 pounds of pure muscle... Gary G. about 260-270 I believe? Voevoda was 260-270? ... John has spent over 20 years pulling 198 and heavy classes so he could win more classes and make more money at tourneys. And he's like 6'2", it's not like he could not pack on some more muscle, actually he did in 2006 at the time around Mohegan Sun he was 230-ish and the way he absolutely toyed with everyone in that period was amazing. We all saw the "Boomtown" video in which he absolutely dominates Marcio. And others have told me they saw him beat everyone else very easily during that period, which lasted briefly as he again dieted down to 198 or so.

Yes, I'm a JB fan :D