Hal`s Training

hal

Hello everybody!

I`m 22 year old guy from Finland and I`ve been training grip on and off for six months now, but now it is time to start serious training.

My current training consists of grippers (2 times a week), pinch (2 times a week), wrist curls and sledgehammer training (1-2 times a week) and total body training (1-2 times a week). Also I have just started armwrestling and plan to do it 1-2 times a week.

My training equipment:

-grippers: RB 130, RB 180, CoC 2, RB 160 (harder than CoC 2) and RB 210 (way harder than CoC 2). I plan to get more CoC grippers soon.

-pinch tools: my self made wooden blocks (8cm, 4cm and 2 cm). I don`t use chalk when I use these. I don`t why but I just prefer that way :D .

-other: RT handle, 70cm long barbell that I use for sledgehammer drills (it is 50mm of diameter), some barbell plates, kettlebells (17kg, 23kg, 32kg and 42kg) ,meditation balls, powerball and ironmind rubber-bands.

I am 178 cm tall and I weigh about 82 kg. My current grip records are parallel set close CoC 2 R/L, pinch 27kg R/L (4 cm block). When I began my grip training, I was barely able to close CoC 1 and pinch 15kg so I`ve made little progress.

My grip goals for this year:

-TNS CoC 2 for few reps

-pinch 33kg

-a lot more strength to my wrists

If any of you decide to follow my log feel free to comment anything you want. I will be happy to answer any questions you have and I welcome any advice from you.

PS. I`m sorry if my english sucks, I hope it will improve with time :).

It seems to me that your log will be interesting to follow. So welcome to the logs :laugh

Edited by Klesen

Sunday 10.8.2008

-Gripper: (RB 160) forced close, held shut 6sec./6sec. x 4 sets. Felt very easy, could have done longer.

-Pinch: (4 cm) Started with 17kg, did single with both arms, added 1,25kg, did singles .... all the way to 25,75kg.

(8 cm) 17kg -> 24,5kg Same style as above.

(2 cm) 12kg -> 18,25kg

-Standing wrist curl with RT handle: 19,5kg 4/4 x 2 sets ..... Overhand (9,5kg) 7/7 x 2 sets

-Sledgehammer levering, not much.

Thank you Klesen.

Tuesday 12.8.2008

Armwrestling practice. Tough. I`m completely exhausted.

Afterwards some extensor work and recovery work with power ball. Actually I do extensor work in the end of each workout.

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday 14.8.2008

-Gripper: (RB 180) TNS 2/2 x 3 sets (CoC 2) Parallel set 2/2 1/1

-Pinch (Timed holds): (2 cm) 12kg for 10sec./10sec. + 10sec./10sec. (This means that I first hold 10 seconds with my right hand, then 10 sec. with my left and

immediately after that I continue with my right hand.)

(4 cm) 20,75kg for 10sec./10sec. + 10sec./10sec.

(8cm) 18,25kg for 10sec./10sec. + 8sec./10sec.

-Suitcase wrist curl with RT: 12,5kg 8/8

-Straight arm wrist extension with RT: 6,25kg 6/6 x 2 sets

-Sledgehammer work (I superset between A and B exercises):

A: Front lever (2,5kg , distance between my hand and the weight used - 42cm) 8/8 x 2 sets

B: Rear lever ( 2,5kg, 48cm) 8/8 x 2 sets

A: Pronation ( 2,5kg, 42cm) 6/6

B: Supination (2,5kg, 42cm) 8/8

-Burpees: 6 min and 70 reps

Gripper reps were a little bit sloppy. I decided to start paying more attention to the quality of reps rather than quantity, meaning I will do only singles for some time now.

Friday 15.8.2008

-A: Towel pull-up (7,5kg) 4 x 3 sets

B: Military press (50kg) 4 x 3 sets

-DO deadlift (120kg) 3 x 3 sets

Off to Greece for a week.

Sunday 24.8.2008

-Gripper: (RB 180) TNS 1/1 x 3 sets (CoC 2) Parallel set 1/1 x 3 sets

-Pinch: (8cm) 18,25kg for 10sec/10sec + 10sec/10sec

(2cm) 12kg 10sec/10sec + 10sec/10sec

(4cm) 22kg 10sec/10sec + 8sec/6sec

-Suitcase wrist curl with RT: 13,75kg 8/8 x 2 sets

-Straight arm wrist flexion with RT: 6,25kg 8/8 x 2 sets

-Sledgehammer work:

A: Front lever (2,5kg, 45cm) 8/8

B: Rear lever (2,5kg, 48cm) 8/8

A: Pronation (2,5kg, 42cm) 8/8 x 2 sets

B: Supination (2,5kg, 42cm) 8/8 x 2 sets

-Swings: 32kg kettlebell 10/10 x 5 sets with very little rest in between sets

Tuesday 26.8.2008

-Armwrestling

I ordered some CoC grippers (2, 2,5, 3 and 3,5) from the USA. Can`t wait for them to arrive. I also started thinking about getting a sandbag. Too bad I didn`t come up with that idea sooner so I could have ordered it with those grippers. That ironmind sandbag is so damn expensive here in Finland.

Edited by hal

Monday 1.9.2008

-A: DO Deadlift (115kg) 4 x 4 sets

B: Gripper (forced close, held shut, CoC 2,5) 8sec/8sec x 4 sets

-Pinch, timed hold (4 cm) 24,5kg for 15sec/15sec

(8 cm) 23,25kg for 10sec/10sec

(2 cm) 17kg for 15sec/15sec

-Full contact twist (5 kg) 5/5 x 5sets

Gripper work felt quite easy. I may be able to close CoC 2,5 this year. I started using chalk with my pinch training. Back was little tired because I spent last three days at construction site carrying heavy bricks.

Thursday 4.9.2008

-One arm swings (32kg kettlebell) Time: 10 min -- Total reps: 160 (12/12 x 6 sets + 8/8 x 1 set)

I could have done better if I had done sets of 10/10. Now my grip started to give up and I had to rest more between sets. That handle on my 32kg kettlebell is damn thick. Thicker than the other ones. But still quite good session in my opinion. After all it wasn`t an all out effort.

Tuesday 2.9.2008

-Armwrestling

Tell me more about it :blush

What do you want to know :D ?

Our armwrestling practice consists of warm-up and technique practise. We train at a gym so everyone has possibility to do some weight lifting while others are pulling. I usually do some triceps work and wrist extensions during our training. There is probably about 20 members in our armwrestling club but so far I`ve seen only a couple of them. They`re all heavier than I am so I don`t really know yet how good I am compared to others in my weight class.

Armwrestling is tougher than I had expected. I think I will have cut down some of my pull-ups and presses since my elbows seem to be on fire somedays.

I`ll be happy to answer you better if you want to know something specific.

Tuesday 2.9.2008

-Armwrestling

Tell me more about it :blush

What do you want to know :D ?

Our armwrestling practice consists of warm-up and technique practise. We train at a gym so everyone has possibility to do some weight lifting while others are pulling. I usually do some triceps work and wrist extensions during our training. There is probably about 20 members in our armwrestling club but so far I`ve seen only a couple of them. They`re all heavier than I am so I don`t really know yet how good I am compared to others in my weight class.

Armwrestling is tougher than I had expected. I think I will have cut down some of my pull-ups and presses since my elbows seem to be on fire somedays.

I`ll be happy to answer you better if you want to know something specific.

Thanks ;) I just found it boring to read only "armwrestling" in your log, which told nothing about what you actually did so I wasn't able to specify a question. Would be nice to have a armwrestling club here as well. To know 20 armwrestlers would be great.

Friday 5.9.2008

-Armwrestling. I pulled with perhaps the strongest guy in our club. He didn`t even try but still it was the hardest practice for me so far.

Saturday 6.9.2008

-A: DO deadlift (117,5kg) 3 3 1

B: gripper, parallel set (CoC 2) 2/2 1/1 2/2 1/1

-Pinch (4cm) 24,5kg -> 30,75kg

(2cm) 17kg -> 22kg

(8cm) 22kg -> 30,75kg

-Towel pull-up 5 x 4 sets

-Suitcase wrist curl with RT handle (15kg) 5/5 x 3 sets

-Straight arm wrist flexion with RT handle (6,25kg) 5/5 x 3 sets

-Sledgehammer work:

A: Front lever (2,5kg, 42cm) 5/5 x 2 sets

B: Rear lever (2,5kg, 45cm) 5/5 x 2 sets

A: Pronation (2,5kg, 42cm) 5/5 x 2 sets

B: Supination (2,5kg, 42cm) 5/5 x 2 sets

Deadlifts sucked. My back was too stiff from thursdays kettlebell work. I don`t think I can handle both heavy kettlebell swings and deadlifts at same time. It`s time to think my training program through. I have to simplify things. From now on my training program will look like this:

Monday: wrist work

Tuesday: armwrestling

Wednesday: full body workout + wrist work

Thursday: rest

Friday: armwrestling (if I feel like I can do it)

Saturday: full body workout + wrist work

Sunday: rest

I will try to do wrist work 3 days a week because I really want to strengthen my wrists for armwrestling. I will cycle weights up and down. And if it feels like I`m overtraining, I will skip some wrist workouts. At my full body workouts I will do grippers, pinch, towel pull-ups, kettlebell military presses and kettlebell swings. And yes, I will not be doing deadlifts. I rather choose swings because of the cardio effect. And maybe sometimes if my arms can take it, I will do some hammer curls. And every fourth week will be light week. Then I will practice armwrestling only once and I will cut down my full body training volume by 50%. That`s it. This is what I`m going to stick with at least for the rest of this year. I can`t progress if I constantly change my program so I need to stay with this. Hopefully it works.

Monday 8.9.2008

-Suitcase wrist curl with RT handle (16,25kg) 5/5 x 2 sets

-Straight arm wrist flexion with RT handle (7,5kg) 5/5 x 2 sets

-Sledgehammer work:

A: Front lever (2,5kg, 44cm) 5/5 x 2 sets

B: Rear lever (2,5kg, 47cm) 5/5 x 2 sets

A: Pronation (2,5kg, 44cm) 5/5 x 2 sets

B: Supination (2,5kg, 44cm) 5/5 x 2 sets

Wrist curls feel easy. I wonder how much I can add weight to that. Well I`ll see that in couple of weeks.