Rgc Ratings

MalachiMcMullen

Just had to be the 1000th post in this thread.  Go back to your regularly scheduled gripping.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, TrenGrip said:

i think i may have the weakest rated #3 at 133lb rated by cpw

Wait - @Cannon rated a 3 at 133?  I thought 135 was the lowest.  Wow!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Wait - @Cannon rated a 3 at 133?  I thought 135 was the lowest.  Wow!

yup, sent me an email asking if it was tampered in anyway which its not 

7 minutes ago, TrenGrip said:

This was used though; Rate and Return. I think 137 is still the low for new (the Molduga #3). The lowest used #3 is 130 I think. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TrenGrip said:

Wow!  What city do you live in?  I DRIVE FOR TNS!  lol

Seriously, though.  That's like a 2.5!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cannon said:

The lowest used #3 is 130 I think.

Wow!

15 hours ago, Cannon said:

This was used though; Rate and Return. I think 137 is still the low for new (the Molduga #3). The lowest used #3 is 130 I think. 

Out of curiosity, do you know what the lowest rated used No. 3.5 and No. 4 you've rated were?

18 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Out of curiosity, do you know what the lowest rated used No. 3.5 and No. 4 you've rated were?

Yes. And I double-checked #3 as well. 

Lowest USED ratings:

#3 = 130
#3.5 = 157
#4 = 190

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Lowest USED ratings:

#3 = 130
#3.5 = 157
#4 = 190

I think I own the #3 now haha

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Wow!  What city do you live in?  I DRIVE FOR TNS!  lol

Seriously, though.  That's like a 2.5!

Im in Los Angeles, quite a way away from you haha, i can post a vid of it if anyone wants, can tell its a very easy #3 got called a fraud when I first posted myself closing it haha

12 minutes ago, stranger said:

I think I own the #3 now haha

Maybe, there are 2.

Both are single-stamp and awfully narrow.

One has very smooth knurling and a very rusty spring which we treated for rust but it will forever be discolored. The other was in much better shape. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Lowest USED ratings:

#3 = 130
#3.5 = 157
#4 = 190

how rare are 190s #4 grippers, ive been trying to get my hands on one for a while, want one for training, tungsten murders my hands and the hulk gripper just feels weird. COC being my fav brand ive been trying to find a #4 rated super low haha 

25 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Maybe, there are 2.

Both are single-stamp and awfully narrow.

One has very smooth knurling and a very rusty spring which we treated for rust but it will forever be discolored. The other was in much better shape. 

The better shape one from @Alex K

• Like 1

Just came across this page for the first time, GripperMania's vast database of RGC ratings (using the same 1" setup as CPW I believe - not to be confused with the 1/2" setup of 'Steel Grip of Russia' known as SGR / CXP (in Cyrillic) which has a conversion rate of SGR kg / .95 = RGC kg.

It includes ratings data from almost every gripper brand past or present.

https://grippermania.ru/grip/rating

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrenGrip said:

how rare are 190s #4 grippers, ive been trying to get my hands on one for a while, want one for training, tungsten murders my hands and the hulk gripper just feels weird. COC being my fav brand ive been trying to find a #4 rated super low haha 

Stock standards are basically cheese graters and imo unusable. You can file the knurling down until it feels like CoC. Problem solved

tungsten murders my hands

Knock the knurling down. It's meant to be adjustable. You can always go down (a feature), but there is no way to make it sharper after manufacturing (a problem). 

1 hour ago, Jared P said:

Just came across this page for the first time, GripperMania's vast database of RGC ratings (using the same 1" setup as CPW I believe - not to be confused with the 1/2" setup of 'Steel Grip of Russia' known as SGR / CXP (in Cyrillic) which has a conversion rate of SGR kg / .95 = RGC kg.

It includes ratings data from almost every gripper brand past or present.

https://grippermania.ru/grip/rating

Am I misunderstanding the site? I can only find <700 total ratings and it does cover a variety of brands, but many have fewer than 5 examples. It is data none-the-less and a fun site. Even if they use a 1" strap I'm not sure how comparable the data would be to CPW because there rig is so different. But if their ratings are internally consistent, that's still good information. 

how rare are 190s #4 grippers

Like, basically non-existent.

Out of 105 used #4s that we have rated, there was 1 at 190. Then 1 at 195, and 1 at 198. Those are the only 3 under 200. 

For new #4 grippers, we have rated 297 and only two ever were under 200. One at 195 and one at 198. 

So just in the scope of that data, 5/402 were under 200 with only 1/402 at 190. 

0.249% of the sample. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Knock the knurling down. It's meant to be adjustable. You can always go down (a feature), but there is no way to make it sharper after manufacturing (a problem). 

how am i meant to knock the knurling down? I dont wanna accidentally mess it up haha. part of me also wants to take my chances and buy a stock 4 hoping its in the 190s. if i bought a 190s tungsten off cpw is it possible to be done for me? im happy to pay extra for it of course 

Am I misunderstanding the site? I can only find <700 total ratings and it does cover a variety of brands, but many have fewer than 5 examples. It is data none-the-less and a fun site. Even if they use a 1" strap I'm not sure how comparable the data would be to CPW because there rig is so different. But if their ratings are internally consistent, that's still good information.

Where do you see the total number of ratings? I believe those ratings are the averages, from what I can tell, but I could be wrong.

I simply thought it was cool that he had some ratings data for a lot of brands like AtomGripz, Manus, David Horne, JBF, etc - especially the tables at the bottom which link to the company/person behind the gripper brand, which I thought was useful info.

I prefer scary sharp. I've never had any problems. My hands are already roughed up from manual labor.

Better to be dangerously sharp, and knock down the knurling to taste, than to start with non-existent knurling which can never be improved.

12 minutes ago, TrenGrip said:

how am i meant to knock the knurling down? I dont wanna accidentally mess it up haha. part of me also wants to take my chances and buy a stock 4 hoping its in the 190s. if i bought a 190s tungsten off cpw is it possible to be done for me? im happy to pay extra for it of course 

Just take a file or sand paper and file it until it smooth and even all around the handle and at the depth you want

4 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Where do you see the total number of ratings? I believe those ratings are the averages, from what I can tell, but I could be wrong.

I think I'm misunderstanding the site. Like you can click on 2(55). But then a bunch of brands come up. I thought that meant they have rated 55 CoC2s but I guess not? I am having a hard time understanding the site. 

3 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Just take a file or sand paper and file it until it smooth and even all around the handle and at the depth you want

@TrenGrip Yeah, that's all it takes. GO SLOW. It happens quick. Use finer sandpaper like 120-150. I really doesn't take much to knock the tips off. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cannon said:

@TrenGrip Yeah, that's all it takes. GO SLOW. It happens quick. Use finer sandpaper like 120-150. I really doesn't take much to knock the tips off. 

ah i see, thank you both, ill have to order myself a tungsten now, grippers had been causing me a lot of handpain, hopefully that's gone now. I can still close a 175rgc gripper idk bout my 185. gonna have to work back to it 

10 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I never thought to use sandpaper I used an actual file. To just go up and down a bit, rotate, repeat, and the only area I avoid is anything that would make the gripper close deeper, but you don't touch that part anyway. It's probably not as perfectly uniform as sandpaper but it doesn't make it close deeper or increase rgc, and you can just feel along the handle for any missed spots or ridges which are easy to find by feel rather than looking. I almost sold all my standards until I started doing that, now I can handle extremely high volume with them. And I do that to ghp also. Every time I've done it I've brought a previously touched up gripper to use as a reference and just do it until they feel the same

Edited by C8Myotome

11 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I think I'm misunderstanding the site. Like you can click on 2(55). But then a bunch of brands come up. I thought that meant they have rated 55 CoC2s but I guess not? I am having a hard time understanding the site. 

I believe those tags at the top of the page signify how many grippers fall within the CoC 2 range, in this case, there are 55 distinct grippers in the CoC 2 range (CoC 1.81-2.32 in the CoC column on the table).

It is common in Russia to refer to grippers as a 'CoC 3.8', for instance, as a description of its difficulty, corresponding with the rating average.

4 hours ago, Jared P said:

I prefer scary sharp

Same. I don’t get the idea of wanting to knock it down, but to each their own. I just prefer Standard and GHP to my other grippers by a long shot. It makes sense as a company though to make it as sharp as possible so people can knock it down to taste. 

• Like 1