Inch sighted in wisconsin

Roark

In a book written by Inch, he states that when people complained about the handle, he would offer to lift the dumbbell onto their shoulder for them. He wrote that even then they could not get it overhead. In the same book he describes how to make your own thick handled dumbbell. The book is called A Manual Of Physical Training and was written in the early forties.

If you look at the pic of Tony Scrivens lifting with an RT handle you can estimate the size of his hand. The RT is 8'' wide overall, and the rotating section is 6''. He has plenty of room on the handle. If his hand was as wide as claimed, he would have to squeeze it into the handle. I also doubt the claim of a 10 1/2'' wrist. All this does not mean he does not have huge hands.

Old Guy,

I've just looked at those pictures of Tony Scrivens: big wrists? Yes, no doubt, but unlikely to be 10 1/2". Tom of Iowa2, where did you get those measurements from?

Cleve Dean was supposed to have the biggest wrists at 10 1/2" at 6'7" and 450lbs plus. Scrivens (at least to me) does not look to be near his size in the wrists. I could be wrong however.

Nonetheless, I certainly hope he will be interested in seeing what he could do with the Inch (and other grip feats as well).

I will try to find out. I no longer have the book, but I know who does.

OldGuy,

In that reference, does Inch give details/measures,

or just allow that the handle was thick?

I keep 'timing out' and my messages aren't getting through.

I'll keep it shorter.

Look at the bottom ,right picture.Tony's hand on the kid.Compare the wrist hand to Brian Schoonveld next to Tony.

In person Brians wrists look huge-until Tony is around.

Measurements came from another forum.Someone asked and Tony replied.Seemed genuine.The thread went on and it seemed to be Tony.

Watched an ancient tape of Cleve the other day.Terry Todd made a goofy statement about Cleves size 17 and a half shoes giving him an advantage (better traction)on the Tram pull. :hehe Seemed like a silly statement to me but made me remember.Saw an ancient old PL USA and I believe thats where Cleves measurements published.I think thats why we remember or are aware of Cleves stats.I think it was also Terry Todd???that did the measurements and wrote the article?

Yes very hard to believe someone at 5'11"would have wrists and hands that big.i understand your skepticism and PERHAPS I am mistaken.

At Strongest Man Alive i was a typical geek.Shaking hands with the big dudes.Phil Makidisi 6' 4"weighed in at 440lbs,Jeff Maddy,6'1"510+lbs!!!,Kaz,Pfister,Ralph Williams,6'4" 390,Doug Ahr,6 7 1/2,almost 400lbs,Neese,etc.,etc,

several International guys,Phil Martin 6'6"350,some Huge unknowns all these guys into strength and grip at some leve.

Tony had the biggest hands and wrist there.Period.Makidisi in particular made CleaveDean look small as Makidisi is a Lean 440lbs.

I hav e-mailed Tony and asked for measurements.

It is hard to believe til you meet him.I understand your doubts and again I might be off...a little.

The picture i'm referring to is on Tony's web site.Again Schoonveld has very thick wrists and good sized hands.My wrists ARE 8 1/4 so Schoonveld might be around 9???(give or take)Pics are deceptive but......Thats a better compare.

As usual sorry for choppy message and typos.Booted off again.

I'll get this confirmed(realize it's not a big deal-but would like to get it staight)

To my knowledge Terry Todd has never written an

article in PLUSA.

Cleve Dean was profiled by Merle Meeter in the Apr 1995

issue of MILO, where his straight arm forearm measure

is offered at 18" and his biceps at 24" at 6'7" and

450 lbs.

Judging by appearance in regard to measurements is

a certain way to be fooled.

I don't think anyone on Earth today could hold a torch to Andre the Giant's hand size.  Someone once noted being able to fit a silver dollar through a ring of his.  Fingers like sausages.  If the man was alive today and decided to delve into gripping if only for a few years, there is no doubt in my mind that every record in the grip world would be obliterated except for the gripper closures.  He would be lifting 300#+ on the RT, pinching 150# with one hand, etc.  He could probably hook grip a 2.5" bar.  Remember, the guy was 7'4, 450# with hypersecretion of growth hormone in his brain!  Superman!

I'll look through the old PL USA's that we have laying around at the gym.But I shouldn't have assumed it was 'written' by Todd- but i'm pretty sure the article I'm thinking about on Cleve was in PLUSA...maybe it was Todd just talking on the Video?.HHHMMMM?I probably made the leap (that Todd wrote it) after watching that WSM tape and the way Todd was talking about Cleve's feet :D,he may have been talking about Cleves wrists on the tape too? Todd did seem impressed with Cleves structure and his 'natural'/untrained strength? and of course had much to say about KAZ.

I've read a lot of old Milos but I didn't read that particular issue-so I don't think I read about Cleves 10+ inch wrists there?

Do you mean side by side comparisons?When the people are present in the same location and actually side by side.....

OR

Do you mean comparisons in Photos?  

Or do you just mean any type of visual comparison or guesstimate?  

Neither would be accurate-of course- but IF you new athlete B.had an 9 inch wrist you could at least have a reference to guesstimate the other athletes?Or if you yourself had a 9 inch wrist and looked down at the man's hand you were shaking you could make a good guess?(again Tony replied to a question on a forum-i didn't guesstimate that -although could have remembered wrong)

I did shake hands with some huge guys over that weekend and at other events too- but( not an accurate assesment)but  OK-Tony's seemed the largest(and all the other huge guys were talking about him and equally amazed)

I'll just wait for him to get back to us with the measurements and drop it till then

;)  ;)

The Big Show(paul White)listed as 7'4" but actually around 7ft or so- has some Big Paws and is a strong looking guy.

He Was a basketball player(or said he was on Jay Leno) so he has at least some 'athleticism' too- but I agree i don't think his hands as big as Andres' .But they are Huge.When he wraps them around other large athletes necks and lifts them(regardless of their 'cooperation)it is impressive.

There was a wrestler Giant Gonzales,who was advertised as 8 ft.but i think?is actually 7'6"Huge Mits and strong looking hands...but maybe they aren't?

Richard Kiel_the actor(Longest yard)has huge strong looking hands.

What comes to mind is there are a lot of guys out there that probably have real strong hands and A.Aren't interested in grip sports and just don't care

B.Are making huge money in another sport/entertainment industry so again not interested

C.Aren't aware of the fact that there are people that really are into 'grip sports' OR that there are even any ways of testing grip?

I have an Ok grip,farm work,wrestling in high school,heavy lifting and recently some grip training but have recently ran into some guys that have great grips.They didn't think anything of it till i brought it to their attention.They had no idea that their hands/wrists were extraordinary and hadn't any idea there were ways of testing it or even competitions.

I'm sure there are others.Bigger-stronger and with more potential than we are aware of out there!