Inch sighted in wisconsin

Roark

Roark... is there an Inch locator that tells you where they are??  I'm curious.

Sir Snott,

More than once I have asked where all the bells are,

but no one ever responded.

I delivered the one in Manitowoc, and the man who owns

it gave permission to mention one was in town. He has

a couple of fellows lined up to try  

deadlifting it, so we'll see what transpires. :D

This week with my 2.5" handle I was able to lift a lot more weight than I'd expected.  Apparently 1H DLs are my thing as it's pretty disproportionate with the rest of my grip lifts.  Anyways, I'm still pretty far off needing to try the inch but not so far off that it'll take long to train up to comparable weight.  So, here's the question : Where's the nearest inch replica to Nova Scotia, Canada?  Not living in the states and not knowing of any Canadian grip groups, it might be cheaper for me to build a replica than make my way to one.

Last time I checkedwith the foundry, 88 Inch bells

had been sold.

We know there is one in Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Florida.

Only missing 84 of them...

Of course, many people rightly, do not feel as though

they need to share the fact that they have one- do

not wish to be bothered or somesuch.

It's true that the bother could be...bothersome.  But, c'mon... don't these people understand that the fulfillment of on of my weightlifting dreams hinges on getting to one of these suckers.  I might be better off making my own replica...how much can two 82lb metal spheres cost? :)

Don't forget the one in Kevin Fulton's barn (Nebraska).  This weekend, I became an expert at rolling it around on the floor.  Then Matt Graham walks in, picks it up above his waist with one hand , looks it over, has a short conversation with us, then lays it back down.  Can you spell c-a-s-u-a-l?

AnimalCage,

Are you talking 10 seconds, one minute?

Inch claimed to hold one casually for several

minutes while he spoke to an audience, which claim,

based on other factors related to his agenda, I do not

believe.

So, can you firm up the time? Assuming you did not

clock the conversation, what is your estimate based

on the length of time it took to say whatever was said?

And, the way you described it: was the bell above his

waist the whole time, or did he lower it to a straight

arm position.

Thanks.

Joe,

I was so struck by how casually he picked it up, I wasn't focusing on details.  My best guess would be 5-8 second range for a hold, and I know it went above the waist initially, but I can't say it stayed there the whole time.  There was no strain in his voice while he was talking. The look on his face was what got me.  I learned that it was his second encouter with the IDB, but his look said "So you're it, huh?  Sure, whatever."

Please remember, we were still weighing in.  No one had cameras ready.  No one was expecting anything to happen.  Everyone was cold, and milling about like sheep.  Then this tall guy walks in and toys with the Inch DB.  

Have faith, Joe.  There will be plenty of photo opps in the future.

Unfortunately, we do not have the future.

But I hope you are right because this is history in the making.

Mark Henry took six steps with the Inch, then lifted it

up onto a table. Sounds like Matt is in that league. :D

BTW, what is Matt's height/BW?  I know he's only 25.  :)

Roark.

Go to www.bigtonyscrivens.com.BIG Tony lives in Wisconsin.

There is a nice pic of Tony doing a Rolling Thunder with 255+.

You seem very interested in stats(as am I)Tony has a 10.5 inch wrist and his Hands are equally as HUGE.Interestingly enough he is only 5'11" and weighs 335lbs.I believe he wears a size 20 or 21 ring and wears a size 15 shoe.(15 1/2)

He has the largest hand I've ever shaken although Pfisters(nick name penis fingers)is perhaps a bit longer and much"flatter".Tony's hands are unusually thick so despite their size perhaps not that great for thick bar stuff.(Tony's wrists though are a bit bigger than Phils)

He has the upper body power to press the Inch(not push press but actually press it)Perhaps he could even swing it up?(clean it)

Tony is a very nice guy,an incredible physical presence,so perhaps the owner of the Inch could get Tony over for a a demo.

Tony trains exclusively for himself and for his own goals and competes in strongman for fun but perhaps you-as a scholar of the sport -could talk him into attempting to learn to clean and press it?

I'm pretty sure deadlifting it off the floor would be fairly ez for him(I don't think he does any specialzed grip work though)/

Again www.bigtonyscrivens.com-if nothing else an interesting site and a fairly good rolling thunder pic......

Makes a mean cheese cake too-i 'borrowed'a slice a while back.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Scrivens was in town a couple of weeks ago for a

charity event with John Beatty and some other strongmen.

I had hoped to have him try my Inch (at the time I had

two of them and was hoping he could do the double

deadlift) but I had to go to Indianapolis, so missed the

event.

Someone told me that he ate four foot-long SubWay

sandwiches:)

Well I hope I'm not' talking out of school' here but I think if you can get him 'interested' in something he'll go for it.

I think he might be looking for an opportunity to 18 inch deadlift over 1062.5lbs..Ken Browns IFSA record.

He got an ez 950 at his own contest but then didn't have the correct plates to add anymore weight to the bar :D

Reports from other good deadlifters(i believe wessels,beatty,wesoloski)said it was ez.

Two ideas:

Maybe a demo of Tony doing a farmers walk with both?

Maybe a demo of a continental clean and then a military press might interest him.(or push press)

(he loks like he could curl them doesn't he??LOL)

Might interest him if it has historical significance?

He has said tha he trains for his own gratification and competes only for fun....but History might interest him?

He is always interested in charity work also.

I think when it comes to brute power Big Tony has what it takes to do some tricks with the INCH.And he has the good grip(that with work could be tweaked to be great?)that some big lifters don't have.Just get him interested....

When we have our contest date set we definitely want BIG Tony to compete...maybe we could have a demonstration or exhibition set up also.He is very popular with kids and always draws a crowd.

:0

Did you go to his site?

Yes, stopped in for a look at his site; impressive. Looks

as though he has the strength to soon master the Inch.

It would be a fun sight to see!

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Tony is one of the nicest guys you will every meet. His fingers are HUGE ! His whole hand is HUGE. the only problem he would have with the inch is the narrow span between the globes. I would bet he would have trouble getting 3 fingers between them let alone his whole hand. I have also had 2 of his cheese cakes.  AWSOME ! My bet for pressing the inch would be, Schoonie, Hugo, or Shawn Smith. Maybe even Gogola.

My gosh harlan i forgot about how broad his hand was.you are probably correct...it might not fit on the INCH?!

My hands-slightly above average(smidge over 7 3/4)felt like i couldn't reach across his palm!i've shaken his hand twice and it was a long time ago but thats what it felt like!!!!.in fact the lady that owns this gym is 5'8 1/2"and has long hands(BTWshe did a rolling thunder of 117 in 1999 first and only time she did it and closed the trainer like it was a Toy from K-mart-at the time she was training heavy but NO grip work)and she just brought out a picture of her hand NOT going across Tonys hand..she had the photo taken because it was so beyond her belief -I mean actually NOT span across his palm.good gosh i hadn't considered that possibility......well IF he can get his hand on it he'll do something fun with the Inch.....

Out of the guys you mentioned(as a huge fan i keep track)probably schoonie or hugo....I don't know if shawn or

goggola (at THIS time...but they are always improving)have the grip to clean it or continental clean it.YET..maybe later in their careers?(Both by their own admission don't have good/great grips)Hand it off or a two hand "clean"both could press it ez...Goggola BTW just set the world record in the log press of 405 incase someone doesn't understand his pressing ability...

Also,Harlan here's an outhere thought... if some one could hand Shawn Smith both 172lb Inches-and i know everybody but Harlan will think this is crazy-he could press them both for a couple of reps..???Well maybe?I think Harlan has more insite into Seans static(non 'push')pressing ability than I do.Shawn could certainly press ONE OF THEM FOR REPS.

What do you think harlan?Big Seans pressing is up there and his grip is getting better???If Big tony and Pfister handed them both ofF to a seated or standing SHawn smith????Just having some fun folks....

Well lets hope Tony's hands will fit THE inch!! :hehe  :D ESPECIALLY SINCE THERE IS NOW ONE IN HIS HOME STATE OF WISCONSIN

Guest Harlan Jacobs

You know , It would not surprise mr at all if Shawn could press 2 of them. I know in training Shawn has done a 425 log. I have train several times with him. If he can clean it, he can press it. I will email him and see what he thinks. I know he could not clean the inch with one hand. His grip is not near good enough. But his press is off the sheet.

Tom of Iowa2,

Would that lady share the photo for our gallery?

Also, her hand length (first wrist line to middle

finger tip)?

I have emailed Mr. Scrivens asking for his hand

measurements.

The Inch bell is in Manitowoc.

As far as hand size being a problem with the 4'' wide Inch handle goes, if Mark Henry who has gigantic hands could grasp it, then who couldn't? Oddly Inch used to write that people complained not only that the handle was to thick, but that it was also to narrow. This was their excuse for not lifting it. Today many famous strongman competitors have tried it. I do not recall anyone saying they could not fit their hand in. Many of these men have enormous hands.

I am not aware that Inch wrote that handle width

was or was not a problem. Others wrote about this, but

if Inch did, I am unaware of it. He refused to give any

specific measurements- in fact never gave any that I

have encountered. Only after the bell left him did others

provide the info.

If Scrivens' hand is so wide that a woman's hand length

could not span it, then, of course, everything depends on

that woman's hand length. Frankly I cannot imagine this is

so, but if it is, I also cannot imagine Tony's hand fitting into

the Inch opening.

I have been distracted lately with other matters, but I

have Henry's hand measurements somewhere, and will check

to see if they have been posted.

Well I hope the INCH will fit and that Harlan and I are wrong :hehe

You have my hand length(7 3/4") and i felt like a a micro hand when shaking hands with phil and Tony(I'm 6'1") and I do not know Harlan at all but i know he is a big presser himself and weighs over 300lbs. and had closed the number three so i'm guessing he has a respectable paw?i'm sure he has more credibility than I do but he'll tell you Tony's fingers are like large sausages and look at the pics-Those hands are hanging off a 10 1/2 wrist!and because of where Harlan lives I'm sure he has met all the big hand guys ;)(Top Pro strongmen) Like I said(and this is off memory)Phils hand seemed a little longer and flatter(still THICK- and for what it's worth my ring finger is 'sized' a 13+and growing) but Tony's hand was thick and sooo wide(fingers longer than anyone but phil so they aren't short).I can guess(and we don't know each other)that Harlan will tell you his hands are beyond belief and I'll guess the biggest hands he's ever seen. :blush

I remember at Strongest Man Alive standing around with some guys from Burlington that new Tony(i met him don't know him)and Big Ralph Williams(6' 4"390lbs huge hands)-did WSM in 99?- was there with his wife.Tony's wife had the wedding ring on a chain around her neck.Ralph and his wife noticed the ring and they both were amazed,both just shook their heads -if memory serves me right it was because they always assumed Ralphs hands were huge.(all the women were grinning nervously :blush )

Roark-I'll ask her about the pic and see if i can talk her into it.But ask Tony to send a pic of his wife doing the same would be easy.Tony is nice and EZ going beyond belief (as his hands  are beyond belief)Maybe i could talk her into just mailing the photo to you for your archives if she doesn't want it on the internet?I'll try either way.

Phil,Tony and Ken Blackman(Bengals/Tampa Bay)were the big hand shakes that I recall and hope this doesn't sound wrong but I've been around a lot of big dudes and don't get impressed real EZ.LOL.Interesting factoid on Ken Blackman(and i met him more recently)is he is 6'6",345+ and like I said in another post grew up on a farm (so had the thick working hands)wore a size 17 1/2 shoe!Tony is a 15 or 15 1/2?and I recall reading Phil was a 14 1/2-15 or so?