Gripper Spread

NEETOP

Can anyone give any tips on how to overcome a wide spread with small hands? I noticed quite a big jump between my CoC 2.5 and 3. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone give any tips on how to overcome a wide spread with small hands? I noticed quite a big jump between my CoC 2.5 and 3. Thanks in advance.

Work some power sets. Take a huge gripper, 3.5 or 4.0-ish, and just work setting the gripper as deep as possible.

• 3 months later...

There's a huge jump from a #2.5 to a #3, An anoyingly big jump!

My advice to you would be to set the #3 deeper in your hands and then go for the squeeze. It will feel so much harder but then that's what make the #3....the #3! If hand size is your worry then all I can say is if you can close a #2.5 then you can close a #3. It's not the spread stoping you, it's strength.

Good luck mate

I suppose it depends on your goals. I have small hands and I practice almost only MMS. Learning to set a gripper forward in the hand helped me a lot. My own #3 is maybe a 1/4" wider than my #2.5. This isn't a huge problem with MMS, but if you're going for a TNS my only advice is to get stronger :D (either that or find a narrower gripper).

Here's my take...

If you're having major trouble with the sweep of the gripper, you have to work the sweep. That's the only way you'll get better at it. You can find merrit in all the advise below, power sets with a bigger gripper will make it easier for you to set your #3. In fact, I personally feel they help the most. I had the same issue - I have a #3 with a spread over 3" (3.25" at least). It's a bear of a #3! At the time I didn't have a #2.5 either, so going from my #2 to this stupid #3 was REALLY nuts. I got a #4 and started doing power sets, trying to set that thing as deep as possible. After a short while, I could pick up that nasty #3 and set it with ease.

Set and sweep are only half the battle, bro. You might also want to consider choking the gripper down to parallel or even deeper with a big hose clamp or giant washer. Some folks have had great success with chokers (myself included). One method you can try is to choke the gripper way down past parallel and work on getting it shut. Everytime you get it closed, open the choker up a little bit and start over. You'll basically be working backwards until you don't need the choker and you can kill the gripper at any sweep.

Good luck, man. You'll be killing that #3 in no time.