Hand Pain :(

abagh89

hey everyone! i have been experiencing some hand pain and i was hoping some of you will be able to help me :). i have searched on the forum but couldnt find any help, so sorry if this was posted up before. ok here it goes, i usually use a mash monster set on all my gripper work and about a month ago i noticed after my grip workout, that when i made a fist with my right hand and squeezed hard, when letting go i would have pain on the back on my hand? i would not have this problem with my left hand. Well i took a break for a week and the pain was still there, i felt like i needed to train my grip so i did a light grip workout of FULL closes with the trainer gripper instead of the mash monster set i been using. i did alot of reps with it and noticed my hand pain was gone. well then a few days later i continued to do my work sets with harder grippers using the mash monster set and now the pain returned, but this time the full closures of the trainer gripper is not working to help the pain.

I get this hand pain on the back of my hand when im making a fist and squeezing or doing a hard gripper when i let go it hurts? Im thinking that my other areas of grip might be weak and i should stop doing grippers until i get those up? or could it be due to weak extensors? im not really sure what the problem is maybe someone has had similar problems or knows what i should do. any help would be much appreicated. thanks!

Train your extensors much more and leave the hard gripper attempts for a while before it gets worse. You can still work on painfree exercises, but be careful anyway.

Train your extensors much more and leave the hard gripper attempts for a while before it gets worse. You can still work on painfree exercises, but be careful anyway.

I'm not a professional but I would also see a doctor.

This type of pain occurs when you train crushing strengh too much vs. the extensor strength. In most cases it will go away once the training is more balanced. Of course seeing a doctor will be a smart thing to do if the pain doesn't go away within a couple of weeks. But most likely it will heal given some rest from grippers, training the extensors and possibly taking some ibuprofen and icing it several times a day. Cold works wonders. Edited by Teemu I

This type of pain occurs when you train crushing strengh too much vs. the extensor strength. In most cases it will go away once the training is more balanced. Of course seeing a doctor will be a smart thing to do if the pain doesn't go away within a couple of weeks. But most likely it will heal given some rest from grippers, training the extensors and possibly taking some ibuprofen and icing it several times a day. Cold works wonders.

ah i see, thanks for the information temmu :). im going to stop grippers for a couple weeks and work extensors and do some contrast baths. do you think its wise during that time i should also work on other weak areas like pinch? or for a couple weeks just solely try extensors till the pain goes away?

klesen:

thanks man, but i went to the doctor before for a pain i had in my tricep due to benching. All he did was basically say weight lifting is very dangerous and i shouldnt be doing it and that lifting to much isnt good for me. i suspect he will say pretty much the same thing about grippers lol.

Edited by adam baghbanbashi

I suggest doing other exercises than grippers but doing them so that it will not irritate the problem area. So take it light. Extensor work is the key. As for contrast baths I suggest icing instead, it's a better way as it will help to reduce the inflammation. Usually heat is not going to be good at all when there's inflammation and is not recommended when you have acute pain.

I suggest doing other exercises than grippers but doing them so that it will not irritate the problem area. So take it light. Extensor work is the key. As for contrast baths I suggest icing instead, it's a better way as it will help to reduce the inflammation. Usually heat is not going to be good at all when there's inflammation and is not recommended when you have acute pain.

im learning alot through this! As always temmu your information is invaluable and you always help us newbies out. :) thanks man.

I had tendon pain in my left wrist for the longest time, but it went away eventually. I've also had it on the back of my hands, lower part of my hand, pretty much every part of my hand, and it always goes away if you give it rest, but do what Teemu said and train your extensors. That's actually an area I need to work on more, but it's getting better.

Btw, I love when doctors say stuff like that. So amusing ;)

great to hear that ;) I know how bugging it is not being able to train properly ;)