Short Thumbs?

twig

What's the normal ratio of hand length to thumb length? How do I know if I favour feats which prefer a long thumb? Which feats favour the long thumb, RT etc? Which feats, if any, favour a short thumb? (I suspect I have short thumbs!)

I don't know but I am a member of the short thumb club you did say thumb right !!!!! :D:D

• 1 month later...
I don't know but I am a member of the short thumb club you did say thumb right !!!!! :D:D

I have 7.25" hands and 2.25" thumbs :laugh

Thumb length is at least as important as hand length in many grip feats - it always makes me laugh when people bandy about their hand lengths when it bears little real relevance to the feat at hand.

How is a thumb measurement taken?

I have no idea about any usually accepted method but I'd guess the same way fingers are: first crease of thumb to tip. That'd make the most sense to me, anyway.

Thumb length is at least as important as hand length in many grip feats - it always makes me laugh when people bandy about their hand lengths when it bears little real relevance to the feat at hand.

I think you're definitely right about that, but at the same time a short thumb isn't really that much smaller inch-wise than a long thumb compared to inch-wise differences in hand lengths.

I am also no stranger to a very small thumb size. Maybe not particularly in length (though they certainly aren't anything longer than average), but mine are very skinny. My fingers are nearly the same width (pics in my gallery)! I've compared my fingers to a WIRY guy I know who is about 130 lbs. at 6'2'', and while his hand was a tad shorter than mine and much skinnier and my fingers thicker, our thumbs were around the same size. His might even have been bigger. This was near the time I took those pictures, when I had nearly 120 lbs. (I was 250) on the guy.

Edited by superfeemiman

Neil,

I would say a short thumb would help in an event like the Hub Lift, but obviously be a hinderance on any thick bar event.

Easiest and best way to measure your thumb, and in fact all your digits is to measure on the dorsal side (back of the hand), and measure from the end of the thumb/finger tip to the mid of the knuckle joint (3rd joint on the fingers and 2nd joint on the thumb).

My measurements are;

Thumb - R/H 70mm, L/H 70 mm

Index finger - R/H 99mm, L/H 98mm

Middle finger - R/H 111mm, L/H 110mm

Ring finger - R/H 107mm, L/H 105mm

Little finger - R/H 82mm, L/H 82mm

Hope this helps,

David

My thumbs measured David's way are 3 1/4'' R and 3 1/2'' L My right thumb had the tip cut off as a child so is shorter.

i measured from the first crease of thumb to tip . I have agree about

having a small hand and thumb on the IM hub Ive pulled 52 lbs. today

I feel with the smaller hand I get a deeper set. On thickbar and dumbbells

thougth the more I build up my thumb pad the smaller my hand gets.