Your Best Armwrestling Tips

gripparen

Share your best armwrestling tips. It can be training, technique or anything. Just dont say alot oftabletime.
i'm one of those people who dont think table time is enough because we have guys that pull every weak but they seem to fall off quick compared to those of us who lift. I think a person can get to much table time or atleast i do and need a break now and then between pull and lifting weights for arms in a seven day period and if your working back you are inderectly working arms as well

Something real similar to rolling thunder pullups is an exercise opnsysme told me about. Put a thick bar on top of your power rack so it wants to spin. Incredible for open hand/wrist strength and feels almost exactly like doing pullups with rolling handles.

Great Tips Bob! Check your pm if you get a chance.....

A lot of heavy back work with a thick bar band work on the table static holds thick handle dumbell and bending has done a lot for my wrist's. :D

Share your best armwrestling tips. It can be training, technique or anything. Just dont say alot oftabletime.
i'm one of those people who dont think table time isnt enough because we have guys that pull every weak but they seem to fall off quick compared to those of us who lift. I think a person can get to much table time or atleast i do and need a break now and then between pull and lifting weights for arms in a seven day period and if your working back you are inderectly working arms as well

i wanted to edit my first one but i wouldnt let me for some reason and i meant to say isnt enough istead of is enough Edited by Robert Bishop

One of the best and most intelligent arm wrestling training sessions I've seen is when ArmTV filmed what Travis Bagent does. It consisted of doing machine-assisted one-armed pull-ups while alternating arms and holding it at the top. The second exercise was reverse, isometric, Hammer Strength curls.

The only way I see to improve upon it would be to add some of these into the equation...

http://www.gripsleeve.com/

... And to start out with 30-45 minutes of heavy squats or leg presses (for natural GH production).

One of the best and most intelligent arm wrestling training sessions I've seen is when ArmTV filmed what Travis Bagent does. It consisted of doing machine-assisted one-armed pull-ups while alternating arms and holding it at the top. The second exercise was reverse, isometric, Hammer Strength curls.

The only way I see to improve upon it would be to add some of these into the equation...

http://www.gripsleeve.com/

... And to start out with 30-45 minutes of heavy squats or leg presses (for natural GH production).

Travis just overloads the machine, pulls it up into position with 2 hands, then tries to do a static hold with 1 hand?

For the pullups, he just does them ASSISTED with 1 hand, as he can't do it without assistance, not very close from what I saw. He did mention, while attempting to do one with only 30 or 50 pounds deload, and failing, something like "damn, this is hard, Rob Vigeant Jr.'s a beast".. heh.

For the pullups, he just does them ASSISTED with 1 hand, as he can't do it without assistance, not very close from what I saw. He did mention, while attempting to do one with only 30 or 50 pounds deload, and failing, something like "damn, this is hard, Rob Vigeant Jr.'s a beast".. heh.

Might have something to do with the 70-80 lbs he has on Rob :cool

I honestly don't think Travis is very strong. I would love to hear Bob Brown's input on this. Rob killed Travis in a hook a couple of months ago at Travis's bar. Of course, wether he would be able to put Travis into a hook possition or not is another deal (this was just pulling for fun, not a competition). And like you said, he's way lighter. Imagine what some powerful heavyweights would do to Travis in a hook. I know very little about all this but it seems to me that Travis's "inside power" as they call it, is nowere near the top. I think that's the kind of power that would get a heavyweight doing one arm chins, and not a fast hit to the pinpad. But again, this is a spectator's opinion, would like to hear some of the pros....

I honestly don't think Travis is very strong. I would love to hear Bob Brown's input on this. Rob killed Travis in a hook a couple of months ago at Travis's bar. Of course, wether he would be able to put Travis into a hook possition or not is another deal (this was just pulling for fun, not a competition). And like you said, he's way lighter. Imagine what some powerful heavyweights would do to Travis in a hook. I know very little about all this but it seems to me that Travis's "inside power" as they call it, is nowere near the top. I think that's the kind of power that would get a heavyweight doing one arm chins, and not a fast hit to the pinpad. But again, this is a spectator's opinion, would like to hear some of the pros....

:blink:blink:blink:blink

I don't think he's the "strongest" AW out there but to say he's not very strong had me laughing out loud! The guy is the #1 LH puller in the world and you don't get that way with just a fast hit to the pad. I remember watching him and Christian Binnie pull on ESPN and Christian caught him and Travis said something like "I thought you were stronger than that", held Christian there, and then said something like "I'm going to take him down now" and that was it. Travis himself said something like "Christian is probably the strongest lefthanded armwrestler on the planet".

Travis is STRONG!!!!!

Maybe not as strong as other top AW in a hook but you have to get him there first and stop his hit. And no one can do that.

I have only seen Travis in a hook Left handed once in a tournament. He held up Christian Binnie in a hook for a while, then rolled him out and won. Christian has to be one of the top hookers in the world left handed.

I meant right handed. Yes, he can toy with everyone left handed for whatever reason.

But right handed, it's different, he's lost to many people. I thought a hook was the purest test of "raw power" in an armwrestling match and I don't recall ever seeing Travis in a hook. I mean, yeah, everyone will say "he is a top-roller".. but if he were super strong he could sometimes hook people for a change... like John does, beating people in many styles.

Also, my "not very strong" comment might have not been the best way to say it... of course he's strong, but I was mainly thinking of the hook, which I repeat, I thought was more pure power.

Ok, one more thing just to clarify what I mean: I just went to youtube and found videos of Bagent losing to Brzenk (ok, we wont count him), Voevoda, Matt Girdner, Ron Bath, Dave Randall and Andrey Pushkar. Now these are HUGE names, I know, and I'm not saying he's "not very strong" because of losing to these people. But in these matches, it seems that he loses when someone catches his hit. These are all RIGHT handed matches, I'm not talking about leftie. So, from watching these videos and seeing him lose in a hook to several people, and then keeping in mind he couldn't beat a 200 pound guy in a hook (although it was not a tourney) .. I just concluded he wasn't near the top when it comes to hooking strength, which to some is the purest strength test. Flame away! :tongue

You are correct, Travis's hook, Right handed is not at the top level. He is very strong at back pressure and in his wrist. This is how he wins, along with his speed. So....his back pressure is STRONG but his hook is not.

How much body movement is going on with a heavier lift like this one?

I've been doing real short curls on the back of the preacher pad but I've been keeping them real strict. Should I look into loading it up and going for it regardless of "strict."

body movement is short,

for example here: http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/119825565...17_623_8702.jpg I have 70kg

but here: http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/119969348...17_623_8038.jpg only 50kg

Where do you get get 70kg for Rustam? The video below says 45 kg+:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_Cn8xJWWM

For the Alexey curl, it looks like four 10-pound plates on each side - I could be wrong, but at a glance it does not look much more than 90-pounds, assuming the bar is about 10. The way he does that curl looks difficult though.

i'll add that saying that travis' hook is not strong is ludacris. He may not be a heavyweight pro top hooker, but outside of the elite who can beat him in a hook? Just because he loses to some that catch him in a hook doesn't mean that he isn't still really strong. I saw him at the arnolds posing in a hook with the biggest and strongest people going, then pinning them easily all day long. No he can't hang with a select group in a hook.......but the rest of the population........good luck.

To add to what Arturo said about all of his losses to girdner,bath,brzenk,pushkar,....etc

do some research on how many wins he has on all of the above..........lots.

You don't get lucky or "flash" your way through that many elite pullers that many times.