Acorn Inch Lift Or Bust!

acorn

I want to lift this bugger so bad I can taste chalk and Iron. Decided to go ahead an do a log after my first attempts with the new toy tonight. Its a Sorinex Bell. I did get a little air, but not much.

My current plan is to use a modified Eaton method to get there. But knowing myself I'll prolly be overtraining before long. I've got some ideas that I want to try out as well. Current weak points are short fingers, thumb, and wrist at least in my opinion as to what I need to lift it. I think I'm gonna have to just about pinch it to get it, but I will get stronger and get it eventually. I couldnt seem to get any history out of the seller George on the bell so I have no idea of whether or not its ever been lifted.

Anywho here is what was done tonight (Sound track was White Stripes, then Johnny Cash :rock )

2 attempts from 18" platform 1-2"

3 attempts on terrible deload setup I slapped together in about 30 sec. I cleared the deload platform a couple times but crunched the bezel on my scale and almost got my foot on the way down on one of them when the setup tipped and dumped the inch off.

3 attempts from ground after that with little air RH, no air LH

3 singles each hand 1 finger assisted lift and negs

3 singles Thumbless Negs each hand

1 each Static TTK holds 15sec RH, 10sec LH 27# 1" between fingers and thumbtip.

30min rest dinner and thought of something else to try

incline drags.

2 each hand at 10deg incline thumb facing direction of pull.

1 each hand at 18deg incline thumb facing dir of pull. at top held 12sec RH, 5 sec LH

- Aaron

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acorn

• BrandonA

• The Natural

• vikingsrule92

Race ya! ;) I think you need to use the Millennium to make it a fair race though. :)

I was hoping you'd keep us posted on your progress, thanks for starting this log Aaron!

modified Eaton method
:D

What made you decide to start from a platform before you tried pulling from the ground? Climber told me to do the same thing, but I did it part-way through my workout. It's hard to get much leg involvement then, isn't it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your full DL. :rock

Edited by odin

I like the incline drag idea.. Have you seen what odin does with the trampoline?

I like the incline drag idea.. Have you seen what odin does with the trampoline?

Thanks, I've used it with the blob before. I have seen that, makes me wish I had one.

- Aaron

This oughta be interesting to read :)

Glad to see you started a log here buddy. I'll definitely be following this and I look forward to seeing you DL it in person ;)

Glad to see you started a log here buddy. I'll definitely be following this and I look forward to seeing you DL it in person ;)

Thanks everyone.

One correction I noticed already. on the incline drags I did thumbs pointing away from direction of pull not towards. somehow I mixed that up when typing it in. :blush

- Aaron

Hey Aaron good luck on the inch training I also suffer from short stubby finger syndrome looking foward to your log. :D

aaron try a hybrid grip :D claw grip it and just put your thumb touching the top. my son switched to this method and is getting it up a foot now im just at 4 inches :blush

aaron try a hybrid grip :D claw grip it and just put your thumb touching the top. my son switched to this method and is getting it up a foot now im just at 4 inches :blush

Dan, is that like with the wrist cocked or something?

I tried some holding my wrist cocked but its just not strong enough to do that.

- Aaron

Here is the first video, with the slapped together deload setup.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7075

That setup didnt make it.

- Aaron

It may have been slapped together but it looks like it works!

Here is the first video, with the slapped together deload setup.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7075

That setup didnt make it.

- Aaron

It may have been slapped together but it looks like it works!

Thanks.

I tried some other stuff this morning that I thought of.

Inch rollups or drags onto step 1 3/8" tall

tried them both ways, thumb facing step and thumb facing away. facing step are harder. my goal with these and with the incline drags are to maximise squeaze time in a progressive quantifiable way.

2x each way 1 3/8 step

- Aaron

Did a few gripper closes.

up to a miss on #3.5.

4 pulls on the inch 2" prolly the best.

4x pulling inch onto 1.5" block RH

Broke it off the ground finally lefty

2x drags onto 2" block slow each way

2x thumbless Negs RH top 4 sec, LH 2sec

2x Regular Negs RH top 4 sec, LH 2 sec

4sec Neg Blob LH

10sec Neg RH Blob

TTK hold thumb and fingers 1" apart

32# RH 7sec

26# LH 5sec

did a couple more sets lower weight holding for longer.

2"vbar 165lb 12sec RH, 4sec LH

Front sledge parallel holds 8#

sledge to head holds 8# 15sec

wrist curl static hold flexed position

170#x15sec

KB wrist Extensor hold flexed 25kg

8sec

Inch pulls felt stronger than Friday. but sciatic is really pissed now.

- Aaron

Good luck with your training, bro!

One thing I did that helped my wrist and open hand finger strength was taking my thickbar and putting it on top of my rack to do hangs. But, I did not attach it or secure it. So when I would hang from it, I would have to use a lot of wrist strength to keep it from rolling while I was hanging. I am 220 and did this on a 2.5 inch thickbar. I think my best time (before I hurt my shoulder) was 8 secs or one pull up. After training this way my wrist strength and open hand strength shot up. Anyway, sorry to litter your log, but I just thought I would share. Hope you don't mind, and I look forward to meeting you at the SHGC at Eric's.

Aaron, good luck on this inch lift. Somehow I don't think "or bust" is an option for you!

One thing I did that helped my wrist and open hand finger strength was taking my thickbar and putting it on top of my rack to do hangs. But, I did not attach it or secure it. So when I would hang from it, I would have to use a lot of wrist strength to keep it from rolling while I was hanging. I am 220 and did this on a 2.5 inch thickbar. I think my best time (before I hurt my shoulder) was 8 secs or one pull up. After training this way my wrist strength and open hand strength shot up. Anyway, sorry to litter your log, but I just thought I would share. Hope you don't mind, and I look forward to meeting you at the SHGC at Eric's.

Thanks for the info. That would totally be in line with the training philosophy I am working with right now. Unfortunately no rack at home right now. Looking forward to meeting you too. :D

- Aaron

This might be a dumb question that I should already know the answer to, but what's the Eaton Method?

Very Low volume, high intensity. ;)

- Aaron

This might be a dumb question that I should already know the answer to, but what's the Eaton Method?

- Aaron

I guess we can't say it's the couch potato method, now that Eaton's working out. :dry

Great work with that Inch, Aaron. You'll be pulling that thing in no time!

That sucks that your sciatic is acting up again buddy. I hope it gets better soon bro. Good luck with the Inch, I'm sure you'll pull it in no time

Will you be bringing that dumbbell to Texas? Or are you flying?

Will you be bringing that dumbbell to Texas? Or are you flying?

We are driving, but I was still trying to decide on whether or not to bring it. We are planning on doing some camping along the way and visiting my family in Houston afterwards so room for it might be an issue. After that gonna visit San Antonio (Wife relative there) and Austin. Hope to see a few sites.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

- Aaron

Ah, the old: "When I can be bother to try something, I'll do better than anyone else and wonder what all the fuss is about" method! Yes, it's one I've been meaning to try myself! :rock