Questions For Kettlebellers

Jake Brooks

All I own are Power Max bells and I have never had a problem with them breaking when droped and believe me they have been droped a ton. Some paint has come off, but tha's it. I juggle, snatch and anything more you would want to do with them. If I had more $ I would have the DD and AKC bells for sure. Would of bough some at the Arnold but I was taped out. The 32K AKC were selling for 75 bucks on sale, a steel for those bells. I would still recomend the AKC bells because I like them A lot, but the Power Max and Power System bells still work fine for anything you would want to do with a kb. The only thing that I have found that they don't work good for is the high rep stuff like the AKC guys and grils do. You need that same size bell and smaller handle to do it the way they do. The molds aren't as nice so they aren't as smooth looking as the DD and AKC but they still work fine.

• 3 months later...

My 24K dragondoor kettlebell arrived today, it is top notch quality! I also own a 16K kettlebell that I bought from Gillathletics (powermax) and there is a big difference in the over all quality of the 2 kettlebells. If your interested in a Dragondoor kettlebell they have a store on ebay, I bought mine for $76.50 + shipping. I'm very happy with dragondoor! :D

My 24K dragondoor kettlebell arrived today, it is top notch quality! I also own a 16K kettlebell that I bought from Gillathletics (powermax) and there is a big difference in the over all quality of the 2 kettlebells. If your interested in a Dragondoor kettlebell they have a store on ebay, I bought mine for $76.50 + shipping. I'm very happy with dragondoor! :D

Since this forum is titled 'Questions for Kettlebellers' here is a question. I live in California/ San Diego. Every year or so I go back east to visit family, New Hamshire and Penn. When I go to the gym back there they don't know what Kettlebells are! It could be the gyms I go are not hip to kettlebells. Question: Are Kettlebells used more on the west coast compared to the east coast? Anybody have some info on this?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of these Perform Better, First Place bells? I heard good things about them on the Art of Strength forum but I'm not sure. They definitely are cheap, whether the quality is cheap or not I'm wondering.

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q...ategoryID_E_420

Edit: Didn't see Scott Styles post, any other comments? Or scott can you expand on that?

Edited by vikingsrule92

Since making that post, I had the opportunity to see a wide number of Perform Better kettlebells, at their seminar in Chicago. The one I have has a nicer handle than most I saw. Given the variations, I do not think they are much better than the gill athletics (power max) kettlebells.

My feeling is if you want to do high rep work, get a Dragon Door kettlebell or nicer (I haven't seen the AKC ones). If you are going to stick to low reps and the rare snatch test, the cheap ones will cut it. You will probably have to spend time cleaning up the handles though, and you can also expect to lose skin to them on your snatch test. It hurts, but your hands will heal.

Art of Strength is directly affiliated with Perform Better for continuing education. Given that conflict of interest, I would not put any value on their recommendation of the Perform Better kettlebells.

If I did not already have the kettlebells I needed, I would only purchase Dragon Door moving forward. I've got the money and they are worth it IMO. I have considered acquiring a 24k dragon door anyway, despite having 2 24k Power Max kettlebells.

Thank you very much Scott, because I was ready to buy two of theirs. They are way cheaper but if they're that much worse it's well worth it to buy better.

I don't agree, however, that you should only buy DD, as good as their bells are there are pretty close to equal bells for cheaper prices. I think my Ader bells are near as nice as my new DD bell(well it is used so take that into consideration, the point is still there). And I've heard great things, and intend on trying Agatsu, Lifeline, MD, etc.

By the way, does anyone have opinions on Muscle Driver Kettlebells? I've heard good things but I'm not sure if it would be worth it to buy those or not. Opinions?

I've had my AKC bells for a little while now and really like them a lot for what I do with them - which is the higher reps GS type training. I have a DD 24 and a PowerMax 32 still and had some smaller PowerMax as well. The AKC are all the same size no matter the weight - I like that feature - I didn't realize what a difference in "feel" that would make. That said - they are all just big balls of steel with a handle - an angle grinder and a few minutes work will take care of a rough handle but the smaller handles on my AKC bells do make a big difference in how long you can go before your grip feels it. I smoothed out the handles on some of my PowerMax bells and that made a huge difference in them - a spray bottle of water and a good chalking makes a huge difference over a very rough handle with slick black paint on it - it's worth the extra work to do it right.

Chris, can you do flips and different hand to hand stuff with AKC bells as well as with DD or others? It seems like they would be awkward, but am I just imagining things? I think I'm going to get some AKCs but I want to check before I buy them.

Chris, can you do flips and different hand to hand stuff with AKC bells as well as with DD or others? It seems like they would be awkward, but am I just imagining things? I think I'm going to get some AKCs but I want to check before I buy them.

Derek - I didn't flip or juggle my other ones and haven't tried the AKC ones either so I can't answer that one for you.

Derek - I didn't flip or juggle my other ones and haven't tried the AKC ones either so I can't answer that one for you.

One more question Chris, I'll probably try some for myself before I buy but I wanted to ask you; do you think they're worth the crazy price? Take into consideration I have to pay shipping which you do not. Because for the same price of a 16kg and 24kg of AKC I could gte a 16kg, 44kg, and 48kg (or several other decent KBs because I probably don't need them that heavy as of yet) of pretty damn good brands (Lifeline and Agatsu). I'm debating it with myself because I'd rather buy the best now so they'll last a lifetime, I just can't make up my mind.

Edited by vikingsrule92

One more question Chris, I'll probably try some for myself before I buy but I wanted to ask you; do you think they're worth the crazy price? Take into consideration I have to pay shipping which you do not. Because for the same price of a 16kg and 24kg of AKC I could gte a 16kg, 44kg, and 48kg (or several other decent KBs because I probably don't need them that heavy as of yet) of pretty damn good brands (Lifeline and Agatsu). I'm debating it with myself because I'd rather buy the best now so they'll last a lifetime, I just can't make up my mind.

It was an easy decision for me - my real interest at this time is the GS competition aspect - I want to at least try a couple come springtime so I felt I needed the AKC comp bells to train with - add in the fact that they were actually cheaper than DD etc for me because I could pick them up (even if it was 3 hours each way hehe). I still have a DD 24K and there is a very big difference between it and the AKC bells as far as the way they rest on your arms for jerks. Can you use the DD, Lifeline etc - sure you can - will they handicap your efforts - I doubt you'd know the difference unless you start doing timed sets and are interested in the competition aspect of kettlebell sport. I had a pair of PowerMax 16K bells and I simply could not do the recommended techniques with them - the handles weren't big enough (the openings) - other brands of bells might work out just fine, I simply don't know about them. After having used the AKC bells, I will say that I have no interest in going back to any others. If I had had to pay the S&H, would I have bought them - probably but I would have only started with one pair instead of two. I'd imagine that there will be some on E-Bay before long too - lots of people get in and out of stuff pretty quick;y.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got 2 16kg and 1 24kg AKC bells and these things are SPECTACULAR!! The only problem is the 24kg will need a little sanding to get rid of rust but no big problem at all, I'm sure since they have no paint on the handles it will be required semi regularly, ESPECIALLY in monsoon season down here in AZ. I really don't see how these bells can even be compared to any other kind. I've still only used them minimally (these aren't my first try, I also tried some older painted handle ones at a local gym) but these are amazing. Hopefully soon I can find a GS comp in my area (after I stop being so weak that is :D) and get it started!! Thanks for the rec Chris, these are expensive but well worth it.

Edited by vikingsrule92

I've tried a few different bells and the AKC Pro bells are the best I've used. If you're looking to compete they're ideal because each weight is the same size. The handles are a little more comfortable for extended sets and they're great for two handed work.

However if most of your training is going to be centered around heavy swings/high pulls etc. there are much cheaper alternatives.

I went to Play-It-Again Sports today and they had CAP kettlebells that were new for a very reasonable price.

35# = 46 bucks

53#= 70 bucks

Do you guys know anything about these and if they are good quality? They seem like a good place to get started......i will do some research some other places and let you know what I find. If anyone has any opinions, let me know!!

Ive got a 26# and a 70#

both at Play it again Sports , and I think I only paid 130 or so for them