Questions For Kettlebellers

Jake Brooks

First off a big hello to everyone I have not spoke to in a long while. I have been working alot latley and have gotten out of touch with alot of things and people. Also, Tara and I have just had a second child...a boy we named John...a future wildcat extrodinaire I must say! Huge hands!!!

secondly have been thinking about buying som Kettlebells and I would like some feedback from all of you griveks who are experienced with the odd iron.

how improtant is handle diameter? I have noticed some manufactures have the same handle diameter as the weight increases as opposed to the diameter increasing as the weight increases. what are your thoughts on this, keeping in mind I want to develop lower arm and hand strength.

what manufactures would you recommend?

Hope to hear from Nick R, the diesel crew and any other experienced griveks out there.

Jake

oh yeah, I do have a 15lb kettlebell I got for tara and eventually the kids...well my 21mo old daughter Ella is already deadlifting it and has held it for a few seconds with one hand all the while smiling and saying "it's heavy"!

Jake,

I've only be 'belling for a few months, but I can tell you any of the "pulling" exercises, i.e. snatches, swings, cleans, etc really have strengthened my grip, especially using the 24Kg (53#) bell. Mine are from Dragondoor/rusiankettlebells.com (Pavel) mostly because they're good quality and I live in Minneapolis, so they're nearby and I don't have to pay shipping fees. I'd say that any of the big names are probably fine. The DD KBs have a pretty consistent handle diameter of around 1 3/4", which seems to work pretty well for me and my compadres. Doing one handed swings with the 53# bell, especially when switching hands in midair on every rep, really helps toughen the grip. The tougher guys can do this with the 70# and up.If you decide to get into them, I'd recommend finding an RKC or other trainer to help with getting your technique right, since KBs can mess you up if you don't do the exercises properly. JMHO,

Dan

AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Edited by Deputycox

thanks for the feedback...thats the stuff I need to know.

I think finding an RKC is a pretty good idea also, not only for correct technique but to learn how to ust the bells to their fullest capacity.

thanks Dan

If cost is not a concern, Dragon Door are nice. If you know an RKC who will hook you up with their discount, or you watch ebay, you can get them for less. The Lifeline kettlebells are supposed to be similar, I have not used them.

Perform Better has some of the best prices once shipping is factored in. Quality is sufficient.

Unless you get a really good deal, I'd avoid the Power Max kettlebells from Gill Athletics. The handles are too rough and eat your hands. I had to spend a long time filing and sanding the handles on my Power Max kettlebells to make them usable.

what ever you get try them first some have high handles and some are low i like low best i dont have any yet but have used several and intend to get some soon :blush

Having been to an AKC seminar and owning a set of the competition bells, I wouldn't have it any other way.

*edit I probably should point out that I typically only use KBs for long sets of snatches or jerks if that makes a difference. DD had nice all around bells and I liked mine before I sold my set. But, after using uniformed sized bells, I wouldn't go back.

I have a full set of the fat high handle's I love them sorry don't know the brand got them used spend the money get the good one's. :D

The AKC Kettlebells Are Great. Way better than the ones I have. I would get thoses if I was to get any more. Andrew has me sold on them. :D Good to hear you and the fam are doing good Jake and congrats on the new son! Hilliard Is going to have some athletes in a few years! If you need any help as far as what to do and form tips we are close and more than happy to help. I know you can toss around the big ones no problem , but good form helps a ton.

Edited by nickr104

Hello Jake, the Dragon Door KBs are very nice, but the shipping is high. They have had some finish issues with the handles lately, I hand picked most of mine at 2 RKC certifications(my girlfriend and I are both certified). Can't comment on the AKC bells other than they only come in 3 sizes, which can be a limitation (though traditionally the real deal only come in 3 sizes unless they are custom made) and also quite spendy. Dick's sporting goods carries them as well, at a decent price, but they are made in China :( .....

A Crossfit trainer that I know showed me some KBs that he purchased from an outlet nearby that go for $1 a pound, I'm not sure where they are manufactured, but they seem decent. If you want I can find out the name of the company, send me an email if you are interested.

Muscledriver has some decent looking bells and reasonable shipping costs as well. A guy that I train bought a couple of the gray series for a very reasonable price.

When it comes to kettlebells, IMO the handle is the most important consideration. Some guys sand the finish off until they are nice and smooth to avoid rips and blisters and such. Some guys use chalk, I think it kind of defeats the purpose unless you are into GS (girevoy sport) or you are doing grip specific work like bottoms up cleans. Even then I try not to use chalk because I want to tax my grip as much as possible.

The area of the handle you really have to watch out for is the inside where the casting seam is located. If it protrudes too much it can damage your hand, but that is fairly easily remedied with a file and some sandpaper.

If you like to juggle kettlebells, the Dragon Door bells are the best I have used so far.

All that said, I think that kettlebells are a fantastic general purpose training tool, I have rarely used them specifically as a grip tool, and despite that I have noticed significant improvement in my grip strength in the past 2 1/2 years that I have been using them. Especially bending, I underestimated how strong my wrists were, and I attribute that to kettlebells. 40 Kg hand to hand swings, b/u cleans, 1 hand swings with liquid soap on the handle, with a washcloth wrapped around the handle, flip+catch, will really fry your forearms. There are cool leverage drills too(with lighter bells of course!).

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

Hope this helps!

Jesse S.,RKC

Edited by Jesse_S

Can't comment on the AKC bells other than they only come in 3 sizes, which can be a limitation (though traditionally the real deal only come in 3 sizes unless they are custom made) and also quite spendy.

AKC Kettlebells will be available in the following sizes when they are available for public retail:

8kg (pink)

12kg (blue)

16kg (yellow)

20kg (purple)

24kg (green)

28kg (orange)

32kg (red)

36kg (grey)

40kg (white)

44kg (silver)

48kg (gold)

8, 12, 16, 24, and 32 are already available. The 'tweener sizes, while generally unecessary, are coming. On average AKC KBs are about 20 bucks more per bell when compared to DD. Even the "cheap" bells are expensive IMO, and the shipping compounds the issue (though the original poster is from OH, so he may be able to pick them up locally). It all depends on what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to invest. If you are interested in KBs it would be hard to go wrong with AKC, DD, Lifeline, K2

I stand corrected! Good to know about the AKC bells, a friend of mine is an AKC coach and speaks very highly of the system, and the equipment. Valery Fedorenko is a beast! One of several courses I plan on attending over the next couple of years (hopefully next year, $ permitting!), it is always good to have many tools in the toolbox. Plus the woman and I want to compete in GS.

Thanks for the info!

Jesse S.,RKC

We may be able to talk to Andrew and he could help yo in getting some. You guys have seen the crazy grip stuff he can do. You should see him do his thing with the KBs. He jerked the 60k AKC Bell around 14 times at the Arnold this year. I got it almost 5 times. He is making a run at the Europeans in the Long Cycle jerk and snatch. One of the only Americans to do so I Believe.

I have tried all kinds of kettlebells and my favorites are from maxkettlebells.com. The handle is thick and I have dropped the 95 we got from them HUNDREDS of times and you would never even know it. Maybe all of the kb variations out there would also hold up, but who knows. Max kb's also have a very thick handle. The other versions have smaller ones. I like the max for the grip component.

Glad to hear from you Jake. Was hoping to see you and your cousins at the Arnold, but it wasn't meant to be I guess. Congrats on the blossoming of your family. Tell Tara we said hello!

Doing C+J reps with a 45 lb. kettlebell tires me out quick. I can't imagine 60K and more.

What is a "thick" handle compared to "thin" handle, just out of curiosity?

Mr. Johnson,

What is the handle diameter on the "Max" branded bells? I couldn't find any specs on their site. What type of finish do they use? The finish gets chipped off the DD bells pretty easily, but powder coating isn't the most durable finish either. Then again I never cared about the finish, it is a cannonball after all. The only thing I've ever worried about is breaking the handle off when using them out in the parking lot....

All the kettlebells I have personally handled have 1.5" diameter handles, except for the earlier ladies' kettlebells that DD had. Yes, I've used an 18 lb kettlebell... :blush The 1.5" handle size works for me, then again I'm not a mutant grip monster like Mr. Johnson, but I'm working on it!!!

Jesse S.,RKC

I have been told that the Max kettlebells use the same molds as the power max bells. The handle size on these very a lot on the ones I have. A also have had to file off burrs where the mold fits together. Their quality just isn't as high. I find the still work great just don't look as nice.

nickr104, did you ever nail the double 32 Kg bottoms up clean and press? Can you do 40 Kg yet? Besides all the destroyed metal, very impressive!

I have soooo much work to to! Thank the Good Lord I'm still fairly young! Perspective is a funny thing....After lurking here a while things like a blue nail and the COC#2 etc are just baby toys! Still pleased with my "accomplishments" so far, but never satisfied!!!

Jesse S.,RKC

wow guys,

this is so much good information, I was at the arnold on friday this year and talked to the guys in the AKC exhibit...great guys. their KB's looked awesome as far as quality the only thing that concerned me was that the handle diameter remains the same on all weights. That is probabbly just what you want for long cycle stuff because it may not be as taxing on the hands (just an assumption). I might be making a mountin out of a mole hill and I should probabbly stop thinking and get to training but it is a KB are a big investment and I wanted to do a little research before I pulled the trigger.

after all that I think right now its between Dragon door and Competition, I just wish dd'S were a little more econimical.

Jed, congrats on completing the grip gauntlet this year!

Nick, I will deffenetly take yopu up on you offer for some pointers with the KB's I will PM you my # and maybe we can hook up soon. I still need to give you back your #1 gripper

nickr104, did you ever nail the double 32 Kg bottoms up clean and press? Can you do 40 Kg yet? Besides all the destroyed metal, very impressive!

I have soooo much work to to! Thank the Good Lord I'm still fairly young! Perspective is a funny thing....After lurking here a while things like a blue nail and the COC#2 etc are just baby toys! Still pleased with my "accomplishments" so far, but never satisfied!!!

Jesse S.,RKC

I have not yet done the 2 32ks Bottoms up. I think I can I have just not had 2 at the same place to try it. I did the weekend of the Arnold but didn't even think about it. As for the 40k yes I can bottoms up that but not 2 at a time. it is real hard for me to get one right now. I have a youtube video of me messing with the 40

Just keep working. I stated out not being able the bend a timber tie , only lifting the 37.5 blob, and almost able to close a 2. That was back in 2003 2004. I am very happy where I have got with hard work , but I think I have lots of good years of training ahead of me. Still lots I want to do. Keep putting the work in and things will come.

Jake that would be great to hook up some time. Even better to get my 1 back. :laugh

Edited by nickr104

I just wish dd'S were a little more econimical.

Someone already mentioned Ebay. If you are patient, you may be able to hit it just right to where you win the auction and shipping is basically free. That is how I ended up with a few of my DD bells. May take a few auctions to get the right price, but DD puts plenty of them on ebay.

It's all still pricey, but I'll take what I can in savings.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Play-It-Again Sports today and they had CAP kettlebells that were new for a very reasonable price.

35# = 46 bucks

53#= 70 bucks

Do you guys know anything about these and if they are good quality? They seem like a good place to get started......i will do some research some other places and let you know what I find. If anyone has any opinions, let me know!!

I went to Play-It-Again Sports today and they had CAP kettlebells that were new for a very reasonable price.

35# = 46 bucks

53#= 70 bucks

Do you guys know anything about these and if they are good quality? They seem like a good place to get started......i will do some research some other places and let you know what I find. If anyone has any opinions, let me know!!

I will comment on this thread- I own 28 kettlebells across the weight spectrum, a total of 5 brands.

It seams to the novice the price is too far across the board, when you can buy a piece of crap one that was made in china for half the cost of Made in America.

there are some things to know about buying Kbells.

1- the distance from the handle to the bell matters.

2- the length of the handle matters

3- the length and spread of the bell matters

4- the shape of the handle matters

Now if the only thing you want to do is swings (and only swings) who cares get what ever, but if you want to snatch, jerk or juggle, you need to buy the high end bells.

i will recommend three brands

- Dragondoor is #1

- AKC bells are very nice, but they are the most expensive

- Max kettlebells

All made in America, all very strong and durable. That 20 dollar special at Walmart? I would stay away from it.

If some one thinks they are all the same, i would ask them if a 5 buck gripper from Kmart is the same as a COC?

Edited by SSGGLASS

Thanks for the opinion! I have never seen kettlebells in a store before, just heard about them here and various strength sites. I don't know anything about them. I never really thought that there would be much difference in the handle length, spread ect. Thanks for the info. Do you have any opinion on Gill Athletics Powermax bells?

Edit: I have heard that DD bells were very good if expensive, but that they chip off easily. Have you experienced this?

Edited by makey98

Thanks for the opinion! I have never seen kettlebells in a store before, just heard about them here and various strength sites. I don't know anything about them. I never really thought that there would be much difference in the handle length, spread ect. Thanks for the info. Do you have any opinion on Gill Athletics Powermax bells?

Edit: I have heard that DD bells were very good if expensive, but that they chip off easily. Have you experienced this?

I have dropped my 40kg from 7 ft snatching it and it smashed the concert, but not a mark on the bell. I have never ever had a DD or AKC bell chip.

but lets say even if it did chip-that doesnt affect the weight of the object :)

they are weights, they are ment to get the crap kicked out of them, not look pretty