What Are Your Secret Weapons?

foxyj75

Hey guys, I was just curious as to what you all have for your pre-bending, gripping, arm-wrestling, ect. ritual. Like favorite drinks, foods, supplements, music, ect. Anything. Just whatever you do to prepare. I'll go first.

My drink of choice is Earl Grey tea. 2 bags, 1 cup. I like it strong.

Music is any kind of really hard Christian metal. Such as Living Sacrifice, Demon Hunter, War Of Ages(I love this band!!), A Thousand Times Repent, Disiple, ect. :rock :rock :rock

And finally, I pray. I have to get my head clear, so I pray that the Lord strengthens me, and helps me to complete the task at hand, all the while giving all the glory to Him!!

Alright, thats me, what about you guys??

Edited by Foxman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• twig

• matthcarl

• foxyj75

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters, if I'm going for a new bending PR I carry the bar around with me the day before. I just like to handle it, look at it once in a while and give it the evil eye, knowing it's doom is sure.

When I bend, I like to have two things on hand: Oatmeal and Coffee. I take a few gulps of each as I get ready or between ends.

I haven't ever bent to music. Maybe it will help. I mostly listen to alt rock. Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day is the theme song for my life.

Edited to add: I take multivitamins and whey protein, though not specifically for bending/gripping.

Edited by The Writer

1. Check to workout log to see what I'm trying to beat this workout

2.Coffee if I'm serious, otherwise just Diet Mountain Dew and a granola bar if I haven't eaten in a while.

3. Always want to break a sweat before a grip workout and my favorite way to do it is with the speedbag. I just do a lot triplicate and try new tricks that I see Jedd and the rest do. It really warms up the shoulders, arms, and hands without taking anything out of them.

4. Sip water or diet dew throughout the workout once I'm sweating

I haven't used it in years, but the original Ultimate Orange was hand's down the most effective pre-workout supplement I've ever used. If I could ever find it again I'd probably buy it in bulk. I remember I would just leave the gym because I knew I had other stuff to do but when I was on that stuff I never felt worn out at the gym. I'd feel almost as fresh at the end of a workout as I would at the beginning. Obviously I would reach failure during my sets but mentally I felt like I could lift all day. However, when it would wear off, I'd be totally exhausted. The trick was to time it right so you'd crash at your normal bedtime.

Haha, heavy music. HEAVY MUSIC and anything really fast. It doesn't even matter if it's terrible music so long as it gets the heart pumping. I don't really eat anything special but I don't like to train right after I eat, usually feel like I'm going to puke then :D Then I get psyched up and go for the attempt.

I used to take something called "NO explode" awhile back. Stuff was crazy! I went in and felt like I could go forever but of course I couldn't and usually went to failure without even realizing it.

My favorite pre-session meal when I'm going for PR's is from an Eithiopean place here. Mostly stuff like lentils, chicken, etc. Very high in protein and spicy good stuff. Some caffeine is helpful too, NOS or Diet Dew. If not going for any PRs then no caffeine for me. I take the usuals as well like multivitamins and glucosamine. getting up a sweat with kettlebells, squats, or some jogging is helpful for me as well when going to the limit. I've tried other things with varied success like heavy metal music, looking at something red for time before an attempt, and Pre-tensing key areas of the body before an attempt to raise CNS efficiency. most workouts though I try not to use much adrenaline or any aids like what I've listed or going to complete failure. that way I dont fry my CNS or completely use up all of adrenaline.

When bending I sometimes visualize freaking destroying the goal bend often for days before the attempt. Not always though. Same with grippers.

- Aaron

i like peanuts yogurt and a hot tea with a ginseng tablet of powder added to it good stuff :D

I haven't used it in years, but the original Ultimate Orange was hand's down the most effective pre-workout supplement I've ever used. If I could ever find it again I'd probably buy it in bulk. I remember I would just leave the gym because I knew I had other stuff to do but when I was on that stuff I never felt worn out at the gym. I'd feel almost as fresh at the end of a workout as I would at the beginning. Obviously I would reach failure during my sets but mentally I felt like I could lift all day. However, when it would wear off, I'd be totally exhausted. The trick was to time it right so you'd crash at your normal bedtime.

The old version supposedly had ephedra (Ma Haung/ E. sinica).

new version?

http://www.ultimateorange.com/

EDIT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me?:

I just make sure I'm relaxed and highly focused on the result I want before the workout and fully expect to succeed. If a positive outlook fails, I get angry and refocus using negative energy (this works well for pinch).

I'm trying to include some compound/whole body type movements before grip now, but have not yet had a benefit from doing so, expect it will when my body adapts.

Edited by odin

I almost forgot about supplements, ect. :D Lets see, I take a multivitamin, a Zinc supp., Chondritin/Glucosamine tabs, and usually, I drink at least a gallon of chocolate milk(vit. D) a day. I used to use Animal Pak and Animal Stak, these worked great, but they changed the formulation of the Stak. A long time ago I used to use Creatine, and that really helped my endurance, but it's been a long while since I used any of that. Thanks for the responses guys! Lots of good stuff here!! :rock

i dont do anything special, dont take any supps, probably why im weak as a kitten and can only close the 2.5, and cant bend or lift heavy for s@#+ :D

I always get my best PR's after a heavy set of deadlifts, come home or do my pr then. I eat pretty heavy before gym-about 2 or so hours before- so that carries over to grip, I notice that if I chug a protein shake before grip work I'm much stronger though also.

The old version supposedly had ephedra (Ma Haung/ E. sinica).

new version?

http://www.ultimateorange.com/

EDIT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me?:

I just make sure I'm relaxed and highly focused on the result I want before the workout and fully expect to succeed. If a positive outlook fails, I get angry and refocus using negative energy (this works well for pinch).

I'm trying to include some compound/whole body type movements before grip now, but have not yet had a benefit from doing so, expect it will when my body adapts.

There is little doubt in my mind that the old version had ephedra in it. I made my own for a while when you could still get mini-tabs at the gas stations but it didn't taste as good as the real stuff which made it hard to sip during the workout. I also didn't like how I couldn't really control how much ephedra was in each serving since I used shaking it up as my mixing mechanism. Of course UO wasn't regulated so...

I haven't tried the new stuff but without the ephedra it would have to be just about free before I'd try it.

20 reps squats a day or two before seem to get me good results too.

Edited by jad

30 minutes spent in a deep horse stance, dressed in a full ninja costume, sniffing ammonia the entire time. And drinking inhuman amounts of coffee.

My pre-bending warm up usually consists of some cardio to get the heart rate up,some stretching and some chins,and then some isos hits on a few bars.one easy bend to run thru the motion.then the heavy metal music gets me pumped up and I try to apply everything that has pissed me off for the last few days into the bend,as if I hate the steel!!!

My choice of drink is water,and I usually eat right after my workouts.

the only thing I take is fish oil and glucosamine,morning and night, and also a multi vitamin in the morning,also drink lots of juices and eat a lot of low fat cottage cheese. mmmm yummy.oh yeah lots of fruit too.

15-20 minute stretch while listening to blaring music, preferably any live song done by metallica or killswitch

5-10 minute hand soak in hot water

prayer to One who makes me strong

lock and load

What's a warmup :D

30 minutes spent in a deep horse stance, dressed in a full ninja costume, sniffing ammonia the entire time. And drinking inhuman amounts of coffee.

Thank's for the warning Ben HAHAHAHAH. :D All I do is get a sweat going maybe alittle light lifting. I take vitamin's daily if I am going for a PR I am preparing my mind day's before thinking threw the bend the lift the competiton. And right before I do the bend or what ever I do it in my mind and get it done.

Damn Josh, I am glad to see some else realizes the magic of diet mt. Dew!

I can get plenty of ephedrine at gas stations around my place.

I agree that Ultimate Orange was the greatest supplement ever. Now I take NO Shotgun before a workout.

I'm not trying to be funny, but my routine seems to consist of not having one. Spontaneity is fun and can be effective on a psychological level. Some of my best garage performances came after watching you guys do something impossible here on the board and being unable to resist the call of the gripperphernalia.

My psych up routine is scary to behold. I stand, shut my eyes for a moment, and approach the task at hand like a sleepy librarian.

Hahaha, that is awesome. I don't usually literally laugh out loud when reading that often but you got me there. Where did you get your ninja costume btw, is it authentic, it seems silly if it is like a halloween costume or something? I think you might passout from sniffing ammonia that long but I have never tried it so I have no idea.

Most of the time I am like Eric, sort of random, I don't usually warm up at all. It really seems to help some people but it doesn't seem to make a hell of a difference for me.

But for music you can't beat Hatebreed or old Fear Factory. Rage Against the Machine too. I like heavy music and stuff like Slayer but definitive words and meaningful lyrics (no offense Slayer) oddly enough drive me much harder than just loud and heavy.

And foxman, I know the name may be off putting, but if you listen to the lyrics of Hatebreed they acually have a sort of overly sugar sweet motivational positive message to most of their songs.

As for the stimulants there is one called 5 hour energy. http://www.5hourenergy.com/comapare.asp

I have taken ehephedra and it made my heart feel funny. And it didn't even work half as good as this stuff. Some people say it doesn't work that well but I think you need to do something physical and get your blood pumping to really make it kick in. I am normaly really sensitive to stimulants and will get really pissed off and anxious with just 1 strong cup of coffee now. This stuff doesn't really make me feel like that.

It may not work as well for some people but for me the only problem I had was that I didn't get tired during a workout. I could workout for 2 hours and steel feel like doing more. It would be really easy to overtrain for me using this. I normally would only even drink half a bottle unless I have something SERIOUS I am going to do like go lift.

To me this is the most powerful stuff this side of the legal barrier. And I hate stimulants and caffinee for the most part but this doesn't make me feel jittery and murderous or crash after.

One warning though it has allot of niacin and some people have reported severe allergic reactions to that so don't use this if you are allergic to niacin or only try like half the first time if you don't know whether you are or not.

</h3>

<h3>My skin is hot and itchy. What's happening to me?

You are experiencing a niacin flush. Some people are sensitive to elevated amounts of Niacin (Vitamin B3). The flushing is a result of the Niacin in 5-Hour Energy increasing blood flow near the skin. It will go away in a few minutes. To avoid a niacin flush drink half a bottle or less and save the rest for later.

from http://www.5hourenergy.com/QandA.asp

Some niacin allergy stories. It is just a vitamin and it is not even a crazy high amount over rda like some stuff but I guess some people can be more sensitive to it so just watchout for that.

Now, for some thing serious to report. 5Hour Energy cost my husband a trip to the hospital per ambulance. He is a healthy man who drinks 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning but the first time he took this drink turned out costly. He developed symptons of a heart attack or stroke 5 hours after taking the 2 oz bottle. His emergency room doctor, cardiologist and neurologist couldn't find another reason other than this drink for his symptons. They read the label of the bottle and said his blurred vision, numbness in his left arm and profuse sweating were affects of the niacin. It caused him to collapse, loose consciousness and 3 days in the hospital. They ran a battery of tests on him and they concluded this drink caused this event. Thank God he recovered but please watch out!
I decided to take the 5-Hour Energy shot, and within five min. I couldn't breathe, my throat felt like it was closing up, I started to shake and couldn't talk. My, mom, a critical care nurse was with me at the time and helped me. I found out that my body couldn't handle the Niacin amount. So people who are considering trying this product, just keep in mind it is not for everyone.

from http://www.productwiki.com/chaser-5-hour-energy-shot/

If anyone tries this out please let me know. I am interested to see what 5 hour energy and hatebreed do for other people.

"And foxman, I know the name may be off putting, but if you listen to the lyrics of Hatebreed they acually have a sort of overly sugar sweet motivational positive message to most of their songs."

Couldn't agree more. You can't go wrong with "Live for This" Every drop of blood/ Every bitter tear/ Every bead of sweat/ I live for this.

In general I go with hard rock and heavymetal, though I don't usually listen to much music when I bend due to the amount of concentration needed. Some of my favorites though would be: "Walk" and "Domination" by Pantera, "Live for This" by Hatebreed, "Crash" by Methods of Mayhem, and .... if I ever get the Insane Bastard bent, the video will have to have the background music as "Demise of Sanity" by Black Label Society.

During a normal training week, I find that I bend a lot better if it's done at the end of one of my upper body workouts for powerlifting. I'm well warmed-up already, and it's a nice "reward" for getting through the other stuff. Naturally I bend better when I don't go heavy on traditional assistance movements like face-pulls, upright rows, etc. I can usually bench or incline bench pretty heavy beforehand and be unaffected when I bend.

If it's not a normal training week, say if I'm competing, then I find that I have to do a fun general warmup for the upper body that includes some tearing work: halving 2 decks of cards, horizontal and vertical, as well as some moderate phonebook tears and some stretching. This gets the entire upper body nice and loose, and the card tearing, especially the vertical style, gets the body ready for some isometric effort needed on tougher steel. This was my warmup when I did my certification for the Grand Bastard.

2.Coffee if I'm serious, otherwise just Diet Mountain Dew and a granola bar if I haven't eaten in a while.

3. Always want to break a sweat before a grip workout and my favorite way to do it is with the speedbag. I just do a lot triplicate and try new tricks that I see Jedd and the rest do. It really warms up the shoulders, arms, and hands without taking anything out of them.

The original product contained Ephedrine. You can still get that in the USA. The main issue with U.O. was that the Ephedrine has a higher molecular weight than the rest of the powder it was mixed with. This meant a serving might blow your head off one time and be as weak as piss the next. Hence medical issues and its withdrawal.

The original product contained Ephedrine. You can still get that in the USA. The main issue with U.O. was that the Ephedrine has a higher molecular weight than the rest of the powder it was mixed with. This meant a serving might blow your head off one time and be as weak as piss the next. Hence medical issues and its withdrawal.

Interesting. I never noticed this with UO but I certainly did with my own product which was certainly do to my mixing. I mashed it, caffiene pills, and aspirin up with a spoon and mixed it in a bunch of koolaid powder. I stuck with the ratios for the total servings but they're was no way for me to tell how much was in each serving.

I didn't know you could still get epehedra here. I can tell you that you used to be able to get the mini-tabs at most any gas station and I haven't seen them in years. When I've asked I get the funny look like I'm a meth dealer and then a curt no.

I like Ben's warmup method and I employ it from time to time but I prefer my Cobra Kai gi to the ninja outfit