Arizona Cactus Grip Showdown I Results

acorn

First of all I once again want to thank all of the sponsors for the wonderful prizes they donated. Everyone was very happy and no one went home empty handed. Also thank you to all the competitors who made it. It was a long day but a ton of fun.

Grippers

Place competitor gripper

1st Aaron Corcorran #3.6, BBSE 2nd round (missed 190# rated MM5 by 1/16 in 3rd round, browned out and fell down :rock )

2nd Derek Graybill #2.79, IM #3 1st round

2nd Rex Hubbard #2.79, IM #3 2nd round

3rd Bill McCaslin #2, Avg #2 1st round

3rd Brandon Azevedo #2, Avg #2 2nd round

3rd John Shipley #2, Avg #2 3rd round

3rd Robert Alva #2, Avg #2 4th round

4th Wes Graybill #2, Easy #2 4th round

5th Jason Dembow #1.5, IM #1.5, 1st round

2HP (Rising bar)

Place competitor weight

1st Aaron Corcorran 215.44#, 2nd round

2nd Robert Alva 167.00#, 4th round

3rd Rex Hubbard 163.81#, 2nd round

3rd Brandon Azevedo 163.81#, 2nd round

3rd Wes Graybill 163.81#, 4th round

4th Derek Graybill 143.81#, 2nd round

5th Jason Dembow 133.81#, 1st round

5th Bill McCaslin 133.81#, 1st round

6th John Shipley 122.50#, 1st round

2" FBBC Vbar (Rising bar)

Place competitor weight

1st Aaron Corcorran 255#, 3rd round

2nd Derek Graybill 225#, 1st round

3rd Rex Hubbard 215#, 4th round

4th Bill McCaslin 190#, 2nd round

5th Wes Graybill 185#, 4th round

6th Brandon Azevedo 175#, 1st round

7th Robert Alva 170#, 2nd round

7th John Shipley 170#, 4th round

8th Jason Dembow 150#, 1st round

Bending FBBC steel

Place competitor Bends

1st Aaron Corcorran 7x5/16 G8 bolt (6.5edgin, 5.5edgin, big G8)

2nd Bill McCaslin 7x5/16 Hexabastard (7" hex, 7" shiny miss, 6" hex miss)

3rd Derek Graybill 6x5/16 Huge Bastard (6" Huge Hexabastard miss, 6" Huge Bastard, 7" Hexabastard miss)

4th Wes Graybill 6.5x5/16 Big Bastard (6x1/4sq, 7" Bastard, 6.5" Big Bastard)

4th John Shipley 6.5x5/16 Big Bastard (6x1/4sq, 7" Bastard, 6.5" Big Bastard)

5th Robert Alva 6x1/4 Square (7x1/4sq, 6x1/4sq, 7" Bastard miss)

6th Rex Hubbard 5.5" 60d (60d, 5.5 60d, 6x1/4 G5 miss)

6th Jason Dembow 5.5" 60d (7x1/4 round, 60d, 5.5 60d)

6th Brandon Azevedo 5.5" 60d (7x1/4 round, 60d, 5.5 60d)

2" Ironmind Axle DO DL (Rising Bar)

Place competitor Weight

1st Aaron Corcorran 340#, 1st round

2nd Rex Hubbard 325#, 4th round

3rd Brandon Azevedo 315#, 3rd round

4th Derek Graybill 295#, 4th round

5th Wes Graybill 255#, 4th round

6th Bill McCaslin 250#, 2nd round

7th John Shipley 235#, 1st round

7th Jason Dembow 235#, 2nd round

7th Robert Alva 235#, 2nd round

Blob load

Place competitor Lifted

1st Rex Hubbard 25,30,35,40,45,50 12.5sec

2nd Aaron Corcorran 25,30,35,40,45,50 14.1sec

3rd Derek Graybill 25,30,35,40,45 7.5sec

4th Brandon Azevedo 25,30,35,40 9.4sec

5th Robert Alva 25,30,35 5.5sec

5th John Shipley 25,30,35 5.5sec

6th Wes Graybill 25,30,35 6.0sec

7th Bill McCaslin 25,30,35 9.8sec

8th Jason Dembow 25,30 3.0sec

Feats afterward were pretty fun and insane as well but I will save that for another post.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Great job everyone, especially you, Aaron, on the big G8!

WOW!! Great stuff! Who is Rex Hubbard :blink ? Sic stuff on that Big G8 Aaron!

Thanks Josh,

Rex is a new guy not even on the board yet, goes to the gym where we held the comp. been training grip 3 weeks, dammit.

- Aaron

Grippers

Place competitor gripper

1st Aaron Corcorran #3.6, BBSE 2nd round (missed 190# rated MM5 by 1/16 in 3rd round, browned out and fell down :rock )

Feats afterward were pretty fun and insane as well but I will save that for another post.

- Aaron

Aaron, I've never squeezed hard enough to do that, I'm very impressed! :rock :rock :rock It looks like you left a bit in the tank on a couple of the events, really great numbers but I'm sure you'd have soared even higher with someone to push you more on the 2HP and maybe the axle (not sure how your back holds up on that)?

Great job by the boy wonder/ grip prodigy and his father Wes made an excellent showing as well!

Rex Hubbard? Wow, what a debut!

Can't wait to hear about the feats & see the videos.

Awesome results guys! Thanks for posting it. Another printoff to add to my huge collection. Aaron, what more is there to say about a Big G8? Good sweet hell that's a wicked bend.

Grippers

Place competitor gripper

- Aaron

Aaron, I've never squeezed hard enough to do that, I'm very impressed! :rock :rock :rock It looks like you left a bit in the tank on a couple of the events, really great numbers but I'm sure you'd have soared even higher with someone to push you more on the 2HP and maybe the axle (not sure how your back holds up on that)?

Great job by the boy wonder/ grip prodigy and his father Wes made an excellent showing as well!

Rex Hubbard? Wow, what a debut!

Can't wait to hear about the feats & see the videos.

Thanks Guys,

Odin, yeah thats fun :D the brownout seemed take abit out of me as well as all the up down with of the loading for the 2HP and judging of the grippers, etc. by the time I got to do it. I tried 220 but missed. On the axle the gym was getting ready to close and we still had blobs left so I took a big jump on 2nd round and missed it. it happens.

There were alot of PRs at the comp by most everyone, and a few more after as well.

- Aaron

Alright guys, I can barely feel my hands and forearms but I'll do my write-up. Firstly, my impressions of the competitors.

Aaron, amazing as always, I expected him to win pretty much every event and run away with the competition, but I definitely didn't expect the AMAZING bends he put up!! I was happy to be a witness to history as he blew by the BIG G8 while I couldn't even finish my Hex :D Great Job Buddy!!!

Rex: This dude's a freakin monster, he DLs 650++ and has Jedd Johnson like hands, my hands only go up to his second knuckle and he makes the blob look like a child's toy. And if it wasn't for his poor bending form, he would have absolutely destroyed me.

Brandon: You did a great job man!! And I had a feeling you'd get 4th, thanks for the awesome Trophies man!!

Bill: This guy talks so much crap you don't even know what to say after a while. Since Friday night when we went out for dinner he was talking all of this sh** about the Vikings, but he's a great guy. He has BY FAR the strangest stories I've heard in my life, ask this dude about his semi-pro football career and expect the worst when you meet him ;) There were so many disturbing stories going back and forth from him and Aaron I'm glad the women were in the other room :D Bill's a very entertaining, loud mouthed guy, and I can't wait to see him again in June (hopefully) when I go to the Cali comp.

My Dad: He had a hell of a day! He came in just saying "Well at least I'll get my comp T-shirt" and he tied for 5th and demolished a Bastard and Big Bastard!!Hopefully he'll be able to come to some upcoming comps with me and set some more PRs. I think honestly he could be a damn good gripster with training, because all of this was with only touching the implements a few times.

Robert: Very quietspoken guy, but a very good gripster. He has INSANELY small hands and somehow still has a damn good pinch. He bends very Zen-like, which I thought was weird, but we helped him a lot with his form in the end of the day and he'll be destroying giant steel soon without a doubt.

John: It was great you could make it man, you put up some damn solid numbers and you destroyed that Big Bastard WITH it being 1/2"-1" off center, you're ready for the Huge dude.

Jason: It was fun giving you a hard time about ASU :D You had a solid comp, and you set a LOT of bending PRs!! Once you get your form a little more dialed in you'll be a bastard in no time

Me: A little disappointed with some of my numbers. I would have liked to pull a little higher in the Vbar and 2HP but oh well it wouldn't have affected the rankings at all. I could have easily gotten a Grand Bastard, but it wouldn't have affected the rankings so I went for the Hex on the 3rd attempt and failed. Oh well, I still got 3rd. Set some PRs with Axle and Blobs, so I'm happy with that.

Congrats guys :rock And well done on the 5.5 Big G5 and the Big G8. What's next :D ? A 6" 5/16 stainless sqaure, a 7" 5/16 sqaure, a 5" big G5, a 6.5" Big G8, or a KOASB?

I keep forgetting to thank Brandon for designing, making and donating the most Bitchin Trophies I have ever seen. Thank you Brandon. Heres a pic with some other trophies from the comp.

:D

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6939

- Aaron

Congrats guys :rock And well done on the 5.5 Big G5 and the Big G8. What's next :D ? A 6" 5/16 stainless sqaure, a 7" 5/16 sqaure, a 5" big G5, a 6.5" Big G8, or a KOASB?

Those are all on my goals list. Just have to see how it goes.

- Aaron

Congratulations everyone. Good solid turnout at the contest.

WOW....What a great comp.. Aaron put one heck of a great day together. Very well orgnized. (like we would expect any thing elas). I am truly shocked that I took 4th over all. I had no idea that I was doing that well. Every time I looked around I was shocked and amazed by the great feats around me..

It was great to meet Bill, Robert and thier families, and it was great to see every one again, I think we have a great chemstry as a group and will push each other to new highs....Rex, what can you say about Rex???? He approached the contest as he does his powerlifting contest and maybe he is the 1st person to crack an anomia cap before a gripper attempt?

As for my day, I took the #2 pretty easy, once I got my pinky out of the way so Aaron could see it :D. I then tried one between the 2 and 2.5, I think it was a super master (????) and took it to about a 1/16"..need to work on my set, if I had gotten it deeper, I would have closed that sucka.....

2HP went well, I think this was about what I hit in training to that felt good...

Bending, something clicked, I finaly was able to put togther what Aaron and Derek have been telling me. I kinked the 1/4" reversed and then chest crushed it. The 60d almost killed my thumb on the reverse, so I moved it under my chin and killed it. The 5.5-60d met the same fate....I think with some more work I can start to hit some bigger items, the power is there, just need to work on the technique..

V-bar....I have hit 230 in training but it was just not happening today. I hit my opener really easliy and then moved up to 205 and missed it all together with my left hand (stongest on V-bar) but got it with my right, but it slipped out and I dropped it...oh welll

Axle went pretty well, the 305 was super easy, so I jumped up to 340, got it to past my knees (i pull sumo) and my left hand started to slip and I could not recover, the faster I pulled it up, the faster it slipped..hahah...next time..

Blobs went pretty well, I flew through till I hit the 45, almost got it, it was about 4" from the platform and it slipped out....but that was a PR for me, dont think I have ever gotten it that high before...

The throphies were my pleaseure, just another day at the shop for us...I am glad they where such a big hit and I promise that next year I will remember to put the date on them.. :D

It was a great comp and I cant wait for the next one, Derek..Im coming for you next year..hahaha....

Big thanks to Aaron's wife for allowing us to once again envade her house and eat all her food and drink all the beer..

Aaron I would gladly pay double the entrance fee next year..

-Brandon

-Brandon

Congrats to everyone! :D Good to see another successful grip comp go down. Love the write-ups.

Brandon, I look forward to the challenge buddy! :D Hopefully there's more people next year, but if not, Aaron I'll gladly pay more just to make sure you don't lose as much money as you did this year.

Congrats to everyone - sounds like a great time was had by all! Special congrats to Aaron for surviving his first contest as a promoter as well. I remember how Jedd told me how much time and effort he and Smitty put into the GGC and thinking to myself - "How" - and then I found out so kudos to Aaron for sure! Some very nice lifts done - outstanding results for you guys first contest!!!

First and foremost I can't thank Aaron enough for all the time and work he put into this contest. I second everybody's nods of paying twice as much next year. I would also like to thank the sponsors and Brandon for the cool trophy's.

I've met and worked out with Aaron several times over the last year or so, so I totally thought I knew what to expect, but once again he's made extraordinary gains...it seems inhuman. I knew he'd been trying to hit the 5/X inch grade 8 for some time now but had been having problems with chest pain. Holy hell, if you watch the video it looks as if he's in no pain at all. I'm still shocked and amazed by what I saw him do on Saturday. I'm just glad I was there to see it.

Little boy wonder. Yes I'm talking about Derek. Everyone else on the gripboard has named him appropriately. He's a great young man with an amazing determination to get stronger, and never quits. As for me talking sh*%@, I was just having fun with you. It's always easy to beat up on Viking fans, but sometimes it feels like I'm picking on the kids from the short bus. :D Just pullin' your leg again Derek. And for those of you who weren't there, every time I did this to him, he just showed me his 2nd place trophy, and put me in my place. If anybody had any doubts about this kid and his strength, let me tell you he's for real.

As for Rex, all I can say is watch out. He told me he has plans of actually training grip, and certing on the 3. If he takes to grip training like that of his PL training, he'll be unstoppable. WOOOOOO!

Fourth place was taken by Brandon, who made me look like a little kid. I was simply amazed by the fact that his hands were almost as small as mine. But yet soooooo much stronger. And like the rest of the Arizonians, yes he's new to grip too. Calm, cool, collected, just picked up big weights. A gentle giant.

Wes, Derek's dad, and I, tied for 5th. Despite how much I kept talking about his beloved Vikings, he just kept pullin' big weights. I walked away from meeting most of these guys, wondering what the h%#*'s in the water, and why I keep trying to compete in grip contests. I say this because Wes also is new to grip and has only played with blobs and v-bar and the like a few times. I am proud to be tied with such a kind hearted and supporting father.

Lonewolf, my only buddy from CA to show. It was great to see him again. As usual he showed up well prepared and ready to set some PR's. His wife was there in support, and every time she is, she makes me laugh until I'm almost in tears. Robert hit some big PR's with his bending. His pinch continues to go up like clockwork. If he'll invite me I'd gladly show up at his house for some pinch workouts this summer.

Another amazingly strong competitor was John Shipp. I'm not quite sure how long he's been into grip for, but he closed the #2 with ease. He hit some big PR's by bending the Bastard and BigBastard. If you look at the numbers he was right there in the mix all day long.

The last competitor that I met was, yet again, another Arizonian that just started gripping, and is phenomenally strong. Jason. He pulled some amazing numbers on V-bar and two hand pinch, especially for a first timer.

As for my performance, I was happy but disappointed in the same respect. Happy that my bending is almost back to where it was before the shoulder surgery. Disappointed with myself, being so determined to set PR's, and not worrying about points. For ex. I came to the contest with the mindset of closing the #2.5. On my first attempt I slammed the #2, then missed the #2.5 by just a hair on my next two attempts. I shoulda been more concerned about points and stepped down to the SuperMaster. Two hand pinch went much the same way, although my opener was a PR by about 6 pnds, took a big just on my next attempt, to no avail. What can I say about my Axel, pulled 250, shoulda went to 255, went for the PR at 260 and only got it to my thighs. Just like the events before it, my V-bar was much the same: pulled 190 but wanted to hit the FBBC 200lb list, so I shot for 200, and Aaron turned the magnets on in the floor. All and all, I'm still very happy with my bending and I did get two PR's, I just need to find some way to make that dang Axel come off the ground!

There was a lot of amazing stuff performed at Aaron's house after the contest. The one I thought was the greatest, was Heidi, Aaron's wife, allowing us in her house and having free reign on her food and drink. Thanks again. Of all the grip stuff pulled off afterward, the thing that amazed me the most, that nobody's mentioned yet, very late in the night, Aaron wrapped up a piece of 3/8 drill rod, and managed to put a kink in it. :blink:blink It amazed because at that point in time, I don't think I coulda bent a coat hanger, my hands hurt so bad.

Thanks again Aaron!!!

P.S. Could I get a shipment of some AZ water, 'cause there's definitely somethin' in it!! Y'all grow 'em big 'n strong out there.

Bill, I know you're just messing with me man, I just like to give you a hard time about it man. Man I don't know how I feel about all of this "little boy wonder" nonsense. I just like competing with the rest of you guys, I don't know if I should be held with such high regard just because I'm 15. When I'm as strong as Aaron you guys can talk :D

Bill it was actually .386 Drill Rod aaron kinked 5-10 degrees, so it's between 3/8" and 7/16". That's just freakin psychotic man!! Especially after 12 hours of random training and feats. I'm starting to lean towards him as the first certified MOAB ;)

Who else is for naming the Big G8 the Corcorran bolt? ;) Haha just giving you a hard time Aaron.

Who else is for naming the Big G8 the Corcorran bolt? ;) Haha just giving you a hard time Aaron.

Could do worse.

Hey everyone,

New member here. I placed 3rd in the recent Arizona Cactus Grip Showdown, my first competition.

This is after only four or five grip training sessions in my life.

Competition results (as best as I can remember):

1st Event, Grippers. Closed an "easy" #3 CoC. Tied for 2nd.

2nd Event, Pinch Grip. 160 pounds. Tied for 3rd.

3rd Event, V-bar. 215 pounds. 3rd place.

4th Event, Nail-bending. Bent a 5.5" 60D nail. Did not place in top 5.

5th Event, Axle DL. 325 pounds. 2nd place.

6th Event, Blob Medley. 12.58 seconds. 1st place.

My main focus right now is taking the deadlift world by storm, but once I get some time to dabble, I'll close a brand-new #3 CoC and do a double 50 pound blob pick-up.

Many thanks to acorn for introducing me to the grip-world and answering my numerous questions. And thanks to the other competitors at the Showdown for making it fun. It was a very positive first experience.

The Natural

Hey everyone,

New member here. I placed 3rd in the recent Arizona Cactus Grip Showdown, my first competition.

This is after only four or five grip training sessions in my life.

Competition results (as best as I can remember):

1st Event, Grippers. Closed an "easy" #3 CoC. Tied for 2nd.

2nd Event, Pinch Grip. 160 pounds. Tied for 3rd.

3rd Event, V-bar. 215 pounds. 3rd place.

4th Event, Nail-bending. Bent a 5.5" 60D nail. Did not place in top 5.

5th Event, Axle DL. 325 pounds. 2nd place.

6th Event, Blob Medley. 12.58 seconds. 1st place.

My main focus right now is taking the deadlift world by storm, but once I get some time to dabble, I'll close a brand-new #3 CoC and do a double 50 pound blob pick-up.

Many thanks to acorn for introducing me to the grip-world and answering my numerous questions. And thanks to the other competitors at the Showdown for making it fun. It was a very positive first experience.

The Natural

Glad you made it Rex.

Welcome to the Gripboard!

:rock :rock

- Aaron