Got An Aw Match Sunday At School.

dimeisgod

Do you have any information on which specific positions result in injuries for novice armwrestlers?

Never turn away from your arm!

i heard that the ones who get injured are usually the ones who are big in the first place but have never trained armwrestling, so they can put a whole lot of pressure on a very weak tendon or ligament..

it doesn't bother me that much, in a matter of fact I've got about 10 kids who claim they can beat me waiting for a match...

I'll try to get them seriously into armwrestling maybe we can train together..

I hope i won't break any of my bones in these matches, but on the other hand you might just find another 10 kids with casts on their right arm in my school ;)

Jonathan

Take those ten guys and start a AW Club.

Eurodancer,

As far as how NOT to hurt your self, Always try to keep your hand between your two shoulders. Like the other guy said, don't turn your body away from your hand. Also PURE side pressure is very hard on you elbow.

Good luck to all.

we had a guy in MI at the last local tournament who broke his arm but the strange thing about it was the fact he was in control of his match and had the other guy in a loosing position and his arm broke which is strange. I agree with Bob on everything he said

A couple of questions:

What is it that usually breaks when you are in good position? I've heard others talk about it and the last tourny I did some poor guy broke what appeared to be his elbow and he was not in a dangerous position

What can you do (training, different styles, etc..) to lessen the chances of breaking/tearing anything while in good position?

The breaks that happen in good position are what scares me. Makes me feel like I'm playing Russian roulette when I step up to the table.

thanks,

Josh

Realize that it only takes a split second in a bad spot to hurt something. You can be in control of a match and still be in a bad position.

Bottom line.......your arm and shoulder and elbow was NOT designed to apply massive pressure to the SIDE. It really is a question of when NOT if you will hurt your arm. Sorry.

Now to help limit the problems. Trian your SIDE pressure. BUT and this is a big BUT. Do it very slowly and under great control.

This is the largest lesson I have learned over the last 25 years. KEEP YOUR ARM HEALTHY. Stretch, Ice and stay within your limits.

Does pulling with more backpressure vs. sidepressure decrease your chances of injuring your arm then?

To clarify, regarding injury: I'm talking about a break or a tear. I'm already aware of the throbbing arm pain that lasts for weeks after a hard pull.

I hear you on the careful sidepressure training. There is no grace period. I thought I'd push it, just a little, last band workout...yeah..lost another week of training as a result and am still only about 95%.

Bob, Josh and others, this is a great discussion about side pressure and injury. If I start out doing a little side pressure training using my pulley/cable set up how much risk will I be at if I start slowly and I expect this is less stressful than band training (which I'll get into later)

thx .. neilkaz ..

I don't know Neil, hopefully Bob will weigh in. I was just doing high rep band work the other day with light bands. It was a program suggested by Neil Pickup on the NE board. I was closing in on my rep goal and my elbow started to feel a little uncomfortable, not horrible, just kind of pumped. I pushed for the last few reps and just iced it to get rid of the pain. I didn't think much of it and then I went to the gym a couple of days later. I was doing some rotator cuff work with some bands as part of my warmup and BOOM out of nowhere my elbow, lower bicep was on fire and was radiating all the way up my arm into my trap. I actually had to use the other hand to drive home. I've been icing it and have taken a little over a week off. I did some work last night and I'm about 95% relative to that arm. I went to push it on some partial curls and it started to flare up and I shut it down. I've learned there is no wiggle room on overtraining the side pressure. If Bob says that pulling with more backpressure is safer on your arm than I'm going to concentrate on that and just train side pressure as injury prevention vs. trying to win with it. At this point it doesn't really matter as I'm so slow I usually just end up catching the guy and then trying to hit or getting flashed :D I'm a long ways from being able to blast somebody with huge sidepressure off the go, at least my reflexes are.

I will tell you that some armwrestlers like Devon Larratt from Canada now believe in not training side pressure and only train UP and Down pressure. This of course is after his own injury. I am of the mind set that you should train your side pressure. BUT only with light weight and high rep OR Heavier STATIC holds. As far as to how often. This is the big question. Listen too your arm.

Interestingly enough, If you have enough UP and Down Pressure you wont need as much side pressure.

Just as I am writing this post it dawned on me. My saying that I absolutely believe to be the secret in this sport. DON'T STOP TRAINING AND DONT GET HURT. Most often it is training side pressure that causes the injury. Food for thought.

Edited by bob brown

I also find this an interesting discussion and I always say to listen to everyone and make your own choice.

I will start a similar discussion on the NE Board. Here is the link

http://teammaine.proboards107.com/index.cg...mp;thread=10650

AND he is another link on the subject

http://teammaine.proboards107.com/index.cg...mp;thread=10357

Edited by bob brown

Sit down at a table. Weight is less of a factor when sitting that it is when standing. Go for hand/wrist power. If you can conrol his hand, you can control the match. Don't let him pull your arm across the table. Try to pull your arm towards your body so that your hand stays close to your body. Good luck! This happened to be two weeks ago today, except we both made a kinda big deal out of it. He pulled my arm away from my body and then used his weigh (he weighs 50-80 lbs. more than I do) to get me down. It was a good match, though, we are going again a week from today.

Sit down at a table. Weight is less of a factor when sitting that it is when standing. Go for hand/wrist power. If you can conrol his hand, you can control the match. Don't let him pull your arm across the table. Try to pull your arm towards your body so that your hand stays close to your body. Good luck! This happened to be two weeks ago today, except we both made a kinda big deal out of it. He pulled my arm away from my body and then used his weigh (he weighs 50-80 lbs. more than I do) to get me down. It was a good match, though, we are going again a week from today.

Oops, didn't read the thread just the first post... :blush

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting some of those kids to stay this Thursday ( tomorrow) after school for some armwrestling. Where can i get the basic rules of armwrestling? i want to print them out and bring it for them tomorrow..

if it goes well I'll ask them to make it a permanent thing..

thanks,

Jonathan

Edited by PanterA_jonathan

• 1 month later...
I loved your grandpa story !! So with that in mind, I'll bet that your grandpa has A/Wed lots of somewhat bigger guys with strong upper bodies but weak hands.

I'm sure he could show you exactly what to do vs this guy.

Win .. neilkaz ..

I remembered this comment a few days ago when my grandpa came over. i asked him to show me some AW "tricks", he basically taught me the hook and toproll step by step in much detail. really everything from shoulder position to foot placement, that was really cool. and there were no internet forums and stuff in his time,I didn't ask him where he learned it all..

BTW I still can't move him an inch on the table..

i think if you want to get serious about it you should get the secrets of pro armwrestling DVD it's very informative and it's help me put over a couple of tough competitors and if a couple of the people you were pulling with at school want to get serious about it with you i would see if they want to pitch in and you guys could get a real table to practice on other than that how's the kids elbow doing now? hopefully better there are a lot of amateurs that get hurt when they get toprolled because they're trying to use too much side pressure but if he would have known how to press i'm sure he would have had a much better chance judging by what you said earlier :D

actually we have a weakly practice after school. we're getting pretty serious, i got them to start training forearms and stuff at home.

we go 10 minutes RH hook, 10 min. RH toproll, 10 min. LH hook, 10 min. LH toproll.

I am actually moving back to my home town in a couple months so I'll be building myself a good table. About the dvd I really don't have money for it now, maybe some day. But if we keep training we'll have to get some pro give us a lesson, technique is a lot..

He's okay I feel bad for him, he was known as the strongest kid around and stuff. I don't think he could press even if he knew how... I got his arm real quick close to the table, so he didn't have a chance to do that..

Jonathan.

actually we have a weakly practice after school. we're getting pretty serious, i got them to start training forearms and stuff at home.

we go 10 minutes RH hook, 10 min. RH toproll, 10 min. LH hook, 10 min. LH toproll.

I am actually moving back to my home town in a couple months so I'll be building myself a good table. About the dvd I really don't have money for it now, maybe some day. But if we keep training we'll have to get some pro give us a lesson, technique is a lot..

He's okay I feel bad for him, he was known as the strongest kid around and stuff. I don't think he could press even if he knew how... I got his arm real quick close to the table, so he didn't have a chance to do that..

Jonathan.

One thing i do sometimes in practice because i am stronger than my partners is take a twelve inch bike intertube and wrap it around my hand and the other end i'll wrap around the hand post just for a little more resistance and i have bands as well depending on how hard i want to pull in practice